Fresh Water Drain Help (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I seem to be having trouble closing the fresh water drain on our 18 plate Campscout Revolution.

I have a sneaky suspicion that my wife over tightened it last week when she shut it, it now seems to just spin and not shut.
Has anyone got an easy fix for this before I start taking it all to pieces, trying to access it through the top of the tank looks tight to say the least.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Ours failed 6 weeks out of warrantee, and was fitted with new parts last week at the dealers cost £375, yours is still under warranty they have to take the tank out and on mine they had to remove a hydraulic jack.
On the German forum some have fitted a plastic drain tap to the original outlet but I couldn’t do this because of the EP levellers I have fitted.

John.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
£375 - Ouch!
I've noticed that it has a bit of resistance. I'll be very gentle.
Neckender - what was the warranty period on your Globecar?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Ours failed 6 weeks out of warrantee, and was fitted with new parts last week at the dealers cost £375, yours is still under warranty they have to take the tank out and on mine they had to remove a hydraulic jack.
On the German forum some have fitted a plastic drain tap to the original outlet but I couldn’t do this because of the EP levellers I have fitted.

John.

Thanks John I was hoping for an easy fix, I wonder how many months it will take to get this sorted! having paid all that money for a new van they can sort it out otherwise I would be tempted into looking at the tap on the drain if this is an easy solution, it would make more sense if they had done that from the start as the current set up can be a pain to get to.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Drain taps on freshwater tanks? Whatever next.

Our 2007 Swift has a rubber bung in a spout in the bottom of the tank, unscrew the cap through the hatch in the (double) floor, reach in and pull it out! Simples!

Last year I ran over a stepladder that had fallen off something and broke the spout. Pushed it back together and sealed it with a quick setting compound similar to Blue-Tac - job done £2.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Our 2007 Swift has a rubber bung in a spout in the bottom of the tank, unscrew the cap through the hatch in the (double) floor, reach in and pull it out! Simples!

Last year I ran over a stepladder that had fallen off something and broke the spout. Pushed it back together and sealed it with a quick setting compound similar to Blue-Tac - job done £2.

The Globecar drain tap is over engineered (German).

John.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Our Autocruise was the same, very easy but our Hobby is even easier it has a 50mm quarter turn gate valve in a cubby hole in a locker.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
What was wrong with a good old plug hole and a rubber plug... Works a treat on mine. :D

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
seem to be having trouble closing the fresh water drain on our 18 plate Campscout Revolution.

I have a sneaky suspicion that my wife over tightened it last week when she shut it, it now seems to just spin and not shut.

Is this the wheel operated one where the first 3/4 turn lowers it to 20L and turnig it more drains it completely?
If so I was warned about loosening it too far as the thread drops out - perhaps this has happened?. Open the rear hatch and see if it looks ok, and perhaps hold the lower bit with one hand while you see if the wheel works.

The design appears to be a tube sealed at the top by the tap rod and the bottom by the tank outlet. Turning it a bit opens the top of the tube (so allowing it to drain to the top of the tube), turning it a bit more allows the tube to lift off the tank floor and thus the tank drains completely.

So I'd open the hatch, shine a torch down and have a play first.

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the ideas, will have a good look and see if it is an easy fix.

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Having been away on holiday for a couple of weeks, not in the vano_O, I thought I had better try and fix the problem.
I have No idea how or why but it is now working perfectly without me doing anything.
Thanks for the tips anyway, I think I may try snd fit a tap on the outside anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back