Fresh & Waste water (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
I'm trying to get my head around what you would do if you are on a site for several days and are on a full service pitch, can you use some form of autofill for fresh water and can you leave the waste tank open with a pipe into the drain.
Also do you carry aqua rolls and wastemasters?
Thanks

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I fill water as needed which lasts a few days , no auto fill option and I carry sufficient hose to reach tap for top up.
I also carry a 1" flexible hose for draining to on pitch waste water and leave waste drain open.
I also carry a fiamma waste master for for use when no on pitch disposal.
I don't find an aqua roll is necessary.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On a fully serviced pitch you should have your own fresh water and drain, whether you plug straight in will depend to a degree on your van and the pipes and connectors that you have, I don't know that there are many vans that allow a direct connection and use of mains pressure water.

Some people use aquaroll some use wastemaster, some use a watering can and some use a bucket, you find find a lot of different options but if you are on fully serviced you should not need to carry too much "stuff " with you.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Before buying our current Hymer we had American RVs which have "city water" a direct mains water connection with internal pump switched off, very useful.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I'll start by saying we have a Whale water system so we need need to either top up via a proprietary hose with a Whale connector, or via a water carrier and submersible pump.
When we've been on a serviced pitch we tend to leave the water hose connected and just top the tank up when needed. For the drain its not so easy - we carry a shortish length of flexible pipe but we've not yet managed to pitch near enough to the drain for it to reach so we now have a collapsible bucket on our shopping list. But we tend to use site showers if they're decent and when washing up we'll tip the bowl down the drain rather than down the sink so we don't tend to have a lot of waste water on site.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My fresh fill point is on the Habitation side of the MH so if I leave it connected, it is in the way. I do leave the fill cap connected and the hose on the tap end, but trail the hose on the near side and just connect it when needed. Waste, I use a 5 mtr Henry hoover hose and waste tap open all the time so as not to cause mass flooding if all 90 ltrs gush out at once.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
For fresh water we have a 30m hose on a feed through reel and a watering cans. Covers all eventualities. With waste we tend ti use a motorhome dump, bucket and chuck it, ore a flexible hose into the hedge if the land owner says OK.

But then we use the motorhome to its best advantage and rarely stay on camp sites for long.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Being so self containing, do M/H's really need a fully serviced pitch?
We quite like using campsites and if the choice is between a pretty campsite or somewhere which feels like a car park then we'll choose the campsite if we're staying for a few days. And if the pitch happens to be serviced then why not use it? Just because we don't need it, doesn't mean we can't choose to use it - for me the main benefit of a MH is having more options to choose from.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As Larry says US RV's have city water which is a direct connection to a hose from the pitch tap, however my connection was inside the water bay; when the hose blew off it was a real mess in there. It happened several times over the years, when I got the Flair it had the same connection in the water and electrical combined bay with direct access to the double floor space! After my experiences I am too afraid to use it, can you imagine a full flow hose pipe into the double floor space with all the electrics in there!!! So just fill the tank every few days, much safer! As to leaving the waste water hose in the drain, I decided against that when at Roquetas I undid the cap and there staring at me was a whole tribe of cockroaches, looking to emigrate! As they have a reputation of climbing through anything I decided that in future I would take my pipe out!

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
As to leaving the waste water hose in the drain, I decided against that when at Roquetas I undid the cap and there staring at me was a whole tribe of cockroaches, looking to emigrate! As they have a reputation of climbing through anything I decided that in future I would take my pipe out!
That never even occurred to me :eek: - definitely don't want bugs of any kind making their way into the MH!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As Larry says US RV's have city water which is a direct connection to a hose from the pitch tap, however my connection was inside the water bay; when the hose blew off it was a real mess in there. It happened several times over the years, when I got the Flair it had the same connection in the water and electrical combined bay with direct access to the double floor space! After my experiences I am too afraid to use it, can you imagine a full flow hose pipe into the double floor space with all the electrics in there!!! So just fill the tank every few days, much safer! As to leaving the waste water hose in the drain, I decided against that when at Roquetas I undid the cap and there staring at me was a whole tribe of cockroaches, looking to emigrate! As they have a reputation of climbing through anything I decided that in future I would take my pipe out!

My RV water connections were always on the outside, I used a pressure reducer and always turned supply off when leaving the RV.
I also liked the RV holding tanks, lots of capacity compared to cassettes.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My RV water connections were always on the outside, I used a pressure reducer and always turned supply off when leaving the RV.
I also liked the RV holding tanks, lots of capacity compared to cassettes.
Outside connection was something I debated with N+B but they argued that inside the bay it was frost protected which was pointless for me as I live south and only go south! Did you have a pressure reducer at the tap Larry, that would resolve the Hoselock blowing off I would think and I had not thought of it, of course there is a reducer in the internal van pipes. Yes I love the holding tanks and believe it or not I have slightly more capacity on the Flair than the Country Coach, 170 litres black compared to 40 us gallons, grey is the same 240 litres and water 370 litres to 100 us gallons. They employ the same Y grey and black outlet but only 38mm, as I have a macerator toilet like the RV but 38mm is a doddle to handle compared to 3 inch Yankee.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
For the first time this year I spent a fortnight on a M/H site. Daily, I would see somebody walking the almost half a mile to the services with a cassette, water trolley waste trolley or all three!

Every four or five days we would drive to the services and do it all in one hit and drive back. It just seemed an easier alternative or am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Outside connection was something I debated with N+B but they argued that inside the bay it was frost protected which was pointless for me as I live south and only go south! Did you have a pressure reducer at the tap Larry, that would resolve the Hoselock blowing off I would think and I had not thought of it, of course there is a reducer in the internal van pipes. Yes I love the holding tanks and believe it or not I have slightly more capacity on the Flair than the Country Coach, 170 litres black compared to 40 us gallons, grey is the same 240 litres and water 370 litres to 100 us gallons. They employ the same Y grey and black outlet but only 38mm, as I have a macerator toilet like the RV but 38mm is a doddle to handle compared to 3 inch Yankee.

I bought the pressure reducer in the US it's around 6" long and part flexible. I fitted it between hose and city water socket on side of RV but could be adapted for tap end.
Similar probably available from UK RV spares suppliers.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I bought the pressure reducer in the US it's around 6" long and part flexible. I fitted it between hose and city water socket on side of RV but could be adapted for tap end.
Similar probably available from UK RV spares suppliers.
Thanks your post spured me to google and found 2 that fit on the tap so reducing the pressures through all the fittings and hose, before it even hits the van so I will get one. Thanks for the idea.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gilbs
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's good to know what other people do and to get a better understanding.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When on a site for a long stay one of my morning rituals is to empty the grey using a bucket.. three or four trips equates to a decent morning 'constitutional' .. Of course if there is a drain near by then the big hose is brought in to play and left down the hole !
Fresh water is dealt with ( usually ) by a hose permanently attached and turned on every few days

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back