Fresh & Grey Water Tank Heaters (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi

I've heard of people fitting 12V, ~30W tank heaters to their underslung grey water tanks to prevent freezing in cold weather. I've had a wee google, but am unable to source such a beast. Is anyone able to provide the name of somewhere that sells them?

Cheers

Nigel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Also
Link Removed
Go for the smallest they do --- will hammer your battery so it may need to go on a timer -- just to heat up say 10 mins every couple of hours ?
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi

I've heard of people fitting 12V, ~30W tank heaters to their underslung grey water tanks to prevent freezing in cold weather. I've had a wee google, but am unable to source such a beast. Is anyone able to provide the name of somewhere that sells them?

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel, dont forget that a 30w heater will take 2.5 amps/hour from your battery. Thats 60amps/day. not very practical!

Doug...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
KWKPR a member on www.rvoc.co.uk listed under classified, mhf sister site has some 12v American self adhesive tank heaters for sale 26" X 7 1/4" £35 each

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
cak tanks ( www.caktanks.co.uk ) sell them
I only have it installed in fresh (DIY) and insulated. Waste - erm....
Think its 2A drain but on thermostat. It was absolutely needed on our last trip (mainly wild) and also when snowboarding (hookup) and did the job.
But yeah - will kill batteries if you aren't driving every day or on hookup

OP
OP
V
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Thanks

Hi

Thanks all for the responses. Aye, I am aware of the current drain, but they are usually on a thermo, or I will just stick it on a switch (and fuse it), and remember to turn it off! In the recent cold weather, it would have been working all the time me thinks to keep the tank from freezing.

The fresh tank is inboard, next to the boiler, so leaving the boiler on low does the trick to keep that from freezing.

We almost always wild-camp (way too tight to pay £12-£20/night for a patch of grass, and some water!). We're pretty well kitted out for wild camping with 3x100AH batteries, 130W solar panel and a 50A sterling B2B charger.

We use the van all year, heading north from home in Stirling. We're into all things outdoors all year around: hill walking, skiing, snowboarding, climbing, etc which sees the van surviving some harsh temperatures hence the need to stick a heater in the tank - although it might not get turned on until we return home and need to defrost the waste tank!

Nigel

Last edited:

ditchy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2010
Funster No
Hi

Cheers

Nigel
hi cak tanks in kenilworth england they do them

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I've always used ordinary engine antifreeze in the waste tank.
Buy the cheapest that you can find and only use it if the temperature dips well below freezing.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
KWKPR a member on www.rvoc.co.uk listed under classified, mhf sister site has some 12v American self adhesive tank heaters for sale 26" X 7 1/4" £35 each

I take it these are stuck on the outside?

If so, unless these are very well insulated most of the heat will be lost outside the tank.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I've always used ordinary engine antifreeze in the waste tank.
Buy the cheapest that you can find and only use it if the temperature dips well below freezing.
It then becomes illegal to dump it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! antitfreeze ending up in your mains water supply is not good news.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I take it these are stuck on the outside?

If so, unless these are very well insulated most of the heat will be lost outside the tank.

Yes they are stuck to the bottom but have a fairly thick bituminous felt type backing which looks to be a good insulator and of course the heat rises onto the tank bottom

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back