Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
I am planning my first trip to France next year, in fact it will be my inaugural motorhome trip abroad. Actually, I haven't bought the motorhome yet, but I hope that will happen shortly. I would love to hear from any one one who can recommend good campsites between Roscoff and Carhaix or generally in Northern and Central Brittany. We want to try some Aires too, but I'd like to have the security of a campsite with EHU, water, showers etc. as we'd want to set up somewhere as a base to do some cycling for a period of days.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You could try Broken Link Removed in the Somme bay area.
It is a new, private aire on a residential leisure site (not a campsite) in Favieres (Somme), just 1hr south of Calais, exit 24.
It is more a cross between an aire and a campsite, open all year round with a few vacant plots that have been changed into motorhome parking with water and electricity and wifi for 12 euros a night. They do ask for a deposit but it is obviously refunded when you leave.
It is very quiet out of season but there are fantastic cycle itineraries around the bay and beyond, mostly on the flat.
You can of course use the large aire in Le Crotoy, just a few km away but you won't have electricity or clean water.
Mike and Annie
Oops - just realized it's a bit off the map for you unless you are crossing to Calais!

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks Ojibway, but I am looking for somewhere in Brittany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For a good solid campsite with all the trimmings and some unique coastal scenery I'd suggest Camping Le Ranolien (Google Maps 48.827862, -3.475563) on the Pink Granite Coast near Perros-Guirec (East of Roscoff), although you have to walk the coastal pathway (Sentier des Douarniers) rather than cycling along it. Still worth the effort.

Nearby to the West at Tregastel/Poul Paloud there's a nice straight down the line aire (48.824087, -3.499617) close to similar coastal scenery, with a supermarket over the road and easy cycle access to the surrounding area including the lovely Ile Renote which isn't actually an island but a peninsula.

Personally I'd say that by sticking to Northern/Central Brittany you're missing out on some lovely spots like Concarneau, Carnac, Quiberon, and the beaches near Pointe de la Torche, all of which have nearby aires and campsites, but obviously you've got to set your limits for your first trip and I think you'll enjoy it whatever you do in Brittany.

If you need any general info about aires try the 'Aire today' link in my signature below.

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks Magicsurfbus, as I've never driven abroad I thought I'd aim to get to a camp site that is not too far from Roscoff in my first few days over there.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stayed here a few years ago, it's Southern Brittany not sure how far from Roscoff. Right next to the beach and good clean showers etc. Pricey in High Season but not at other times. Very good for cycling if only to a roadside small bar about 1 mile away which looked nothing but did the best food I have had in Brittany.

http://www.camping-plage.com/en/

Edit - sorry just read the OP again and you were looking for Northern or Central Brittany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Its quite amusing remembering our first outing abroad, we jumped straight in and went to Portugal. It is scary, but bite the bullet, now three years on we're laughing at those early days.

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks Christ and Souix. Will check out the link Chris.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back