Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have 3 weeks off now don't need to be back at work till 28th May

We were going to do the north, west and South coast of Wales but the weather does not look good so not sure now

We are now thinking of driving to Spain starting our trip north of Barcelona and hopping down the coast but I have a few questions

How much will the round trip from Calais cost in French tolls

How much longer will it take to get to Spain using the national roads instead of the motorways and is it worth doing this

Is 3 weeks long enough to drive all that way

Where else could we go to try and get better weather

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you use the via Michelin web site it will calculate tolls for different routes based on class 2 then just add 50% for class 3 and you won't be far out.

Yes you will get there and back in 3 weeks but do you want to spend all your time driving or do you want to drive less and explore more, personal choice I guess.

Martin

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Roughly

100€ each way, dependent on the route you chose.

Add an extra day each way by going toll free, but you'll see much more on route.

But it will be a busy three weeks unless once you arrive in Spain you don't travel too far south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
via Michelin also suggests different routes so you can compare the merits of each route. you dont say what the intent of the trip is. if its to chase the sun, with only 3 weeks, then perhaps going in the motorhome might not be as good an idea as you think. have you considered flights/package holiday?
if the intent is to pootle along and enjoy the journey, but trying to get some decent weather along the way then the MH is perfect. don't set your destination until you arrive on the continent and be flexible !

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Save the time driving and book the Portsmouth to Santander Ferry, over night and you wake up in Spain.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use the Tonka west coast route (in resources) where you use tolls to get round big cities and we’re in Spain in two days and on the Med coast a day later. These were long days driven through night when the roads are quiet (ex trucker).

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Save the time driving and book the Portsmouth to Santander Ferry, over night and you wake up in Spain.
That’s a great way of doing it if the weather is good but about twice the price of driving we found.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The forecast is for increasingly better weather in France over the next couple of weeks (in our area at least - western central, haven't checked elsewhere) so you could consider doing some of France - maybe down to the Loire or Dordogne? Easy to avoid tolls. The forecast is not always reliable, of course!

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Thanks all decided Spain is too far for the time we have so leaving Tuesday am getting tunnel Tues pm then heading for Monaco area

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think I'd stick with UK if we only had 3 weeks, Cornwall, Devon or maybe Scotland. The sites are expensive but you save a ton of fuel. I think there's some ACSI sites in the south west (y)

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I don't understand all these comments about 2/3 weeks is not enough to travel to Spain. Before I finished work last year, we us to travel to Dover and get a late ferry/train, stop at Baie de Somme services, up early next day and drive with regular stops (we have 2 dogs) to Carcassonne. We would stay overnight on the aire at Montferrand, up early next day and be in Estartit on the Costa Brava by lunchtime. I use to use a few tolls, around 30 euros each way to avoid cities and slow sections.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I don't understand all these comments about 2/3 weeks is not enough to travel to Spain. Before I finished work last year, we us to travel to Dover and get a late ferry/train, stop at Baie de Somme services, up early next day and drive with regular stops (we have 2 dogs) to Carcassonne. We would stay overnight on the aire at Montferrand, up early next day and be in Estartit on the Costa Brava by lunchtime. I use to use a few tolls, around 30 euros each way to avoid cities and slow sections.

Bunch of mardies.

Roll the clock back.

1979, I had to endure the back of a Brand new Ford Cortina estate 1.6l with two winging 5 and 7 year old girls (not related to me). All the way to St. Tropez, towing a bleeding caravan all the way through the Alps. No motorways.

It pi55sed down all the way, Thunder and lighting like I had never seen before.

Cramped, hot when we got there and no bloody air conditioning.

I was a young teenager the time.

But, I sat on the red hot beach sipping beer or Pastis, along side topless young ladies. A slightly older Parisian girl was alongside me for 2 of the weeks and its the two I will never forget.

But I was lucky. Some kids travelled down in a van, no seats, let alone belts.

Happy days.

TM

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think I'd stick with UK if we only had 3 weeks, Cornwall, Devon or maybe Scotland. The sites are expensive but you save a ton of fuel. I think there's some ACSI sites in the south west (y)

Having just spent 3 days on a haven site. I would rather take less time and travel.

Haven UK site kids: Dad, will you tell Tyson to FUC* O*F
Continental Campsite: Daddy, Henry just said the B L word! (bloody to you sheltered ones)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back