French Tolls, Credit Card (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Been travelling down through France this week, and we do occasionally pop on to a toll road to ease the journey. We primarily use a Halifax Credit Card for French and Spanish payments, where possible. The first toll booth worked fine with the Halifax, but ever since, probably 5 or 6 times at different booths it just spits it back out again, but accepts a different credit card, both are MasterCards

The Halifax card has continued to work fine for fuel, campsite fees and shopping

Has anyone else experienced this or can suggest an answer/solution?

TIA
We had occasion to drive West to East across France last year in a bit of a hurry to get out of the country before the quarantine rules came into force for people returning to England from France. We péaged our way across to Italy and used 6 different cards. The co-pilot was getting quite proficient at swapping cards at speed by the time we got to there . . . .

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
We have just returned from a fortnight travelling up and down France using the toll roads. We got a toll tag from Emovis and it was superb. Toll comes out of the bank automatically and you don’t have the worry about cards not working. Also, you save a load of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Noob to MHs. Caravaned a lot.
We had a similar issue with using our cards in summer 2019. In the end we paid cash.

Previously we had used Tags but they mean a guaranteed Classe4 (HGV) payment for us or Class3 3 in our previous motorhome. In stead we now press the bell and say "Je suis camping car". Importantly we don't claim to be any size, weight or number of axles only that "I am a Motorhome". 90% of the time we have been reduced to 'Classe 2', very occasionally 'Classe 3'. This means considerable savings, usually half a Classe 4 cost. Ok this isn't anywhere near as quick as a Payment Tag but we take the time hit for the cost saving.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We use a tag from APRR for the tolls, but when the Halifax Clarity was our main card we did have the odd problem with it: at a couple of campsites, some fuel pumps and parking machines. We now have a Barclaycard Rewards (Visa, fee-free foreign spending, 0.5% cashback) and have just come back from 2 weeks in France where we had no problems with it whatsoever.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We had a similar issue with using our cards in summer 2019. In the end we paid cash.

Previously we had used Tags but they mean a guaranteed Classe4 (HGV) payment for us or Class3 3 in our previous motorhome. In stead we now press the bell and say "Je suis camping car". Importantly we don't claim to be any size, weight or number of axles only that "I am a Motorhome". 90% of the time we have been reduced to 'Classe 2', very occasionally 'Classe 3'. This means considerable savings, usually half a Classe 4 cost. Ok this isn't anywhere near as quick as a Payment Tag but we take the time hit for the cost saving.
I tried to get the HGV TAGs for France Spain via Tolltickets for our 4.25T van. They asked a few questions and wanted photos of the van. Their response was:

'We have just checked your vehicle details and have found that unfortunately the TIS-PL for France and Spain is not the appropriate box for your vehicle.
The measurement at the French toll stations is primarily optical. The weight only plays a role if it exceeds 1t (from 4.5t). Superstructures are also not included. With our toll boxes for France and Spain, only the towing vehicle is relevant.
At the toll station, the vehicle is measured and classified. Depending on the classification, the truck system (TIS-PL) or the car system (Liber-t) is activated.

If a car box is expected and there is a truck box in the vehicle, then unfortunately the barrier at the toll station does not open because the wrong system is active. This has been confirmed to us by the French toll certification authority.
Therefore, please let us know if you would like a change to a Liber-t for France and eventually a VIA-T for Spain"

So I've ordered the Liber-t & VIA-T for a trip in Nov/Dec - fingers crossed the info is correct and we only pay the Class 2 in France

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Noob to MHs. Caravaned a lot.
'We have just checked your vehicle details and have found that unfortunately the TIS-PL for France and Spain is not the appropriate box for your vehicle.
The measurement at the French toll stations is primarily optical. The weight only plays a role if it exceeds 1t (from 4.5t). Superstructures are also not included. With our toll boxes for France and Spain, only the towing vehicle is relevant.
At the toll station, the vehicle is measured and classified. Depending on the classification, the truck system (TIS-PL) or the car system (Liber-t) is activated.

If a car box is expected and there is a truck box in the vehicle, then unfortunately the barrier at the toll station does not open because the wrong system is active. This has been confirmed to us by the French toll certification authority.
Therefore, please let us know if you would like a change to a Liber-t for France and eventually a VIA-T for Spain"
Very useful - thanks for sharing! (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Been travelling down through France this week, and we do occasionally pop on to a toll road to ease the journey. We primarily use a Halifax Credit Card for French and Spanish payments, where possible. The first toll booth worked fine with the Halifax, but ever since, probably 5 or 6 times at different booths it just spits it back out again, but accepts a different credit card, both are MasterCards

The Halifax card has continued to work fine for fuel, campsite fees and shopping

TIA
No,BUSBY.

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
We have had a Clarity card for years and only use it for travel and any purchases from UK in another currency. Being retired-and tight-we never use toll roads-there are a couple of tiny sections on ring roads round towns where you suddenly find yourself on a toll-but they are usually less than 2 euros and we pay cash. Time is not of the essence when we are away-haven’t been across the channel since last August but we are both itching to get away again once we collect our new (to us) Hymer.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Take my advice get yourself a 'Bip & Drive' Toll Tag will save you time and money. Get a discount on the Toll charge and tied to your UK bank account. I've had one since 2013 and wouldn't change. You can sign up on the internet they have a very helpful UK office.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Take my advice get yourself a 'Bip & Drive' Toll Tag will save you time and money. Get a discount on the Toll charge and tied to your UK bank account. I've had one since 2013 and wouldn't change. You can sign up on the internet they have a very helpful UK office.
Good advice. I've got the EMovis Tag for France only, they don't offer a combined tag. Will be returning my Emovis tag and getting the refund which will pay for the Bip & Go France/Spain/Portugal tag. Win win. (y)(y)(y)

Eloceo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690
Exp
3 years
Just driven from Dieppe (11th), via Massiac, Aix en Provence, Cavaliere, St Tropez, Cannes & Antibes. Halifax card used without any problems on a number of peage.

BazzerJ

Free Member
Oct 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Touring at the moment. Loving Bip & Go. Makes life so much more easy.

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Hi. Ours was a Libre-t tag from Emovis. Got my statement and all tolls have been classed as Class 2 which I guess we are as we have a 7.5 meter Motorhome (4.2 tonne). Worked great.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We’ve got the Emovis tag and have a tag axle 5000kgs 8.8mtrs.

Basically if the barrier lifts, which is does every time, you’ll get class 2

Brilliant for us 👍

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I thought the the toll tags were for vehicles up to 3500. So if you are heavier than that isn’t that theft?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I thought the the toll tags were for vehicles up to 3500. So if you are heavier than that isn’t that theft?
Yesterday we were recovered from a French autoroute after a tyre blowout. For some reason the driver asked if he could use our tag for the journey back to his garage. The tag worked fine for a 7.5t transporter with a 3.5t A class on the back

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

Brilliant for us 👍
Just looked at their web site and it states a different weight limit to your vehicle for France - haven't bother looking at the other countries.?

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 07.40.07.png

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hi. Ours was a Libre-t tag from Emovis. Got my statement and all tolls have been classed as Class 2 which I guess we are as we have a 7.5 meter Motorhome (4.2 tonne). Worked great.
Hmmm
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 07.47.02.png

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I borrowed a Tag for my trip to Italy from a friend and paid him on my return. Only worked in France and my experience of Italian toll roads, and Mont Blanc tunnel is that they all still use magnetic strip readers that would not accept any UK card I had (including my companies card!!). Used up all my cash and had to find a chip and pin ATM to get more out. Tags are definitely the way to go, especially if it is useable in multiple countries.
We always use my debit card at Mont Blanc tunnel, and most of the peages in France and Italy. Only once - at a peage - was it refused but I just used another which worked.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Just looked at their web site and it states a different weight limit to your vehicle for France - haven't bother looking at the other countries.?

View attachment 540657
yes it does tbh but what it states and what you get charged may be completely different, before we had the tag we just used to say after pressing the comms button, if being charged over class 2, "je suis camping car" and it was changed to class 2.

Now we have the tag, we know that if the barrier lifts, which it has done every time which is great, we know we are going to be charged class 2 as its a class 2 tag we are using.

We will use it in October and we will be billed 6 euros, you are only charged the monthly fees for the months its been used, the statement usually follows 1 month after the month used has ended and you can check online exactly what tolls you have used and the day/date.

Its great tbh and saves you having to pass all the wagons again as they used to sail through whilst we were stood still (y)

Al

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years

Brilliant for us 👍
I’ve got the same no problem (8m 4500kg) barriers open every time, makes life it so simple

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

TIA
A few years ago French fuel stations and some supermarkets most tolls just wouldn't recognise a British card for some reason, then card providers waved their magic wands somehow and everywhere starting accepting them, but since B well might just revert back to the way it used to be,,,,,,,,just sayin.

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
What height are you. Our motohome is 3.1 meters high and we were getting charged class 4 hgv every time with the tag. So we’ve stopped using it

Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
We had problems in france in2018 at toll booths most rejected my RBS credit and debit card but accepted my wifes halifax debit card but in Italy we didnt have a problem,also the tolls in Italy were a lot cheaper,i was talking to a guy in calais who only had a nationwide card and said he never had a problem. its sad that we cant go abroad now because of my wifes health but dont let any of this put you off you will always get by even if you struggle a bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back