French Speed Limits if over 3.5t (1 Viewer)

Westerham Womble

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Westerham Common sometimes
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Since the change last June I’d be grateful if someone can confirm the correct speed limits on the various classes of road. Sure it’s been done to death but I can’t find all the info
Some is easy ie Autoroutes 110kph
But RN dual carriageways signposted 110kph ?
3 lane roads when 2 lanes are for traffic in your direction and signposted 90kph ?
I thought everyone was limited to 80kph on all other roads out of towns where not marked lower, but are vehicles over 3.5t now limited to 70kph ?

I am struggling to find the answer, now Monsieur Plod has access to DVLA I really don’t want to receive a letter some months later.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Here ya go...
Note third box down and lower limits for motorhomes over 3500kg !!!!!
Also be aware that some no overtaking signs may show a truck picture, so your ok to overtake but some show a red car and a limit of 3.5t.. My understanding is no overtaking by any vehicle more than 3500kg.. I used the N10 and A63 on route to Spain and you see this on a few sections.

56303470_10215990507213078_6832801615087403008_n.jpg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes but isn't that Spanish Steve?
Believe the OP wants to know about France. Are they the same? I didn't think so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is my thinking, but I am willing to be proved wrong......

110 on a motorway where it allows 130.
100 on dual carriageway roads where it allows 110.
80kmh on single carriageway roads unless a higher limit is posted. ( generally 90 where you have two lanes your side or there is a physical barrier between carriageways.
50 through towns and villages, and I did read that you are still limited to 50 even when the signs show 70. But I have never been able to corroborate that.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
This is my thinking, but I am willing to be proved wrong......

110 on a motorway where it allows 130.
100 on dual carriageway roads where it allows 110.
80kmh on single carriageway roads unless a higher limit is posted. ( generally 90 where you have two lanes your side or there is a physical barrier between carriageways.
50 through towns and villages, and I did read that you are still limited to 50 even when the signs show 70. But I have never been able to corroborate that.

RN dual carriageway is 90kph unless otherwise signed some are 80 for 3.5t and over the N10 being one for 120km 100 for cars and small vans AND NO OVERTAKING if 3.5T or over

OP
OP
Westerham Womble

Westerham Womble

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Westerham Common sometimes
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the replies, I did think we were limited to 80kph on motorways in Spain ?

The dear old C&MC show Motorhomes >3.5t restricted to 70kph on their website hence my confusion.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a definitive EU list somewhere, mind you seems we won’t have that control after 2022 so someone has to collate the info or that’ll be another excuse for a big queue at the Chunnel

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes but isn't that Spanish Steve?
Believe the OP wants to know about France. Are they the same? I didn't think so.

Looks to be but as far as i know the Spanish followed the French and put same limits in place..

I had a "flash" on the A63 south of Bordeaux a few weeks ago, so waiting to see what happens there. :(

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I found the following on the caravan guard website which may help.

Section I) For vehicles towing a caravan (or trailer) where the vehicle has a gross train mass of less than 3.5 tonne and for a solo motorhome which has a gross vehicle weight under 3.5 tonne; unless otherwise signposted and on dry roads the speed limit in kilometres per hour (kph) is: –

• On autoroutes (motorway) 130kph (80mph); (reduce to 110kph (68mph) in adverse weather or rain)
  • On dual carriageways and autoroutes without tolls 110kph (68mph); (reduce to 100kph (62mph) in adverse weather or rain)
  • Single carriageway roads without a central reservation separator 80kph (50mph); (reduce to 70kph in adverse weather or rain) This came into effect from July 1st 2018.
  • In towns 50kph (31mph). The town name starts the limit; a red diagonal bar through the town name is the derestriction sign.
Section II) A solo motorhome which has a gross vehicle weight over 3.5 tonne; unless otherwise signposted and on dry roads the speed limit in kilometres per hour is: –

• On autoroutes (motorway) 110kph (68mph);
  • On dual carriageways 100kph (62mph);
  • Single carriageway 80kph (50mph);
  • In towns 50kph (31mph). The town name starts the limit; a horizontal bar through the town name is the derestriction sign.

Section III) If a motorhome has a trailer, then the speed limit will be based on the gross train mass, the same as a vehicle towing a caravan.

For example:
Ford Focus Style 5 door 1.8 Duratec
Gross Vehicle Weight: 1895kg
Towing Limit: 1160kg
Gross Train Mass: 2995kg (i.e. under 3.5 tonne see Section I)

Volvo X590 D5 manual
Gross Vehicle Weight: 2740kg
Towing Limit: 2250kg
Gross Train Mass: 4990kg (i.e. over 3.5 tonne see Section IV)

Section IV) Any vehicle which has a gross train mass over 3.5 tonne, towing a trailer or caravan; unless otherwise signposted and on dry roads the speed limit in kilometres per hour is: –

• On autoroutes (motorway) 90kph (55mph);
  • On dual carriageways 90kph (55mph);
  • Single carriageway 80kph (50mph);
  • In towns 50kph (31mph). The town name starts the limit; a horizontal bar through the town name is the derestriction sign.
There is an element of confusion amongst the French authorities on whether 80 and 90 “speed” stickers should be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, including motorhomes, towing at the lower limits. It appears that the stickers are not mandatory, but the speed limits are compulsory.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
RN dual carriageway is 90kph unless otherwise signed some are 80 for 3.5t and over the N10 being one for 120km 100 for cars and small vans AND NO OVERTAKING if 3.5T or over
Confusing isn’t it? Lots of conflicting information available everywhere.
I took my info from a French motorhome magazine, which confirms ChrisL’s and my info.

• Speed Limitations: Heavy truck Motorhomes ( over 3500kg) are subject to special rules . Among others, the limitation to 110 km / h on the motorway, 100 km / h on the four-lane roads separated by a median, and 50km / h in the city, even if a sign authorizes the limitation to 70 km / h.
  • Prohibition of traffic on certain roads , indicated by a sign. Beware, heavy truck motorhomes are not subject to the prohibition of goods vehicles (a drawing of a truck is on the panel). But well to the panel mentioning a limit of PTAC: for example, a "5 t" in a white disc with red edge.
I am assuming the 70kph reference is correct though I have never seen an HGV taking any notice of the lower speed unless there is a specific sign mentioning over 3.5 ton vehicles

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
All I can see so far in the 'Code de la route' on Legifrance (Highway Code)

Article R413-8-1 En savoir plus sur cet article...
Modifié par Décret n°2008-754 du 30 juillet 2008 - art. 17
Toutefois, la vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes est limitée à :

1° 110 km / h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 100 km / h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;

3° 80 km / h sur les autres routes.

This is a section of the speed limits (R413) for vehicles over 3.5t but designed to transport people.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just driven back from Spain and Portugal through France and 4500kg and towing max is 90kph and on single carriageway and some sections of peage 80kph and of course the obligatory 50 kph in built up areas.
Didn’t have any problems not a single flash.;););)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Looks to be but as far as i know the Spanish followed the French and put same limits in place..

I had a "flash" on the A63 south of Bordeaux a few weeks ago, so waiting to see what happens there. :(
I had one a couple of days ago, just leaving Nonancourt, justified because it did have a warning sign, but as it was the start of a dual carriageway I assumed it to be 110+, as it was a few yards further on, don't know why they do that. I was just daudling along behind a lorry at 60mph, which must have also been flashed. I am expecting a nasty letter. The other time was nearer Calais, I was within speed limit for under 3.5t but assume it thought I was above 3.5t. These days you've almost got to expect being caught out on any long trip in France, they are so sneeky. You can do 90kph where single width opens up to two lanes for a short stretch on one side of the road, presumably to help overtaking, or occasionally after a roundabout . It's so difficult to keep within the constantly changing limits.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
All I can see so far in the 'Code de la route' on Legifrance (Highway Code)

Article R413-8-1 En savoir plus sur cet article...
Modifié par Décret n°2008-754 du 30 juillet 2008 - art. 17
Toutefois, la vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes est limitée à :

1° 110 km / h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 100 km / h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;

3° 80 km / h sur les autres routes.

This is a section of the speed limits (R413) for vehicles over 3.5t but designed to transport people.

Not correct , it has changed a lot since 2008
I can't help right now with baby on my lap

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I am assuming the 70kph reference is correct though I have never seen an HGV taking any notice of the lower speed unless there is a specific sign mentioning over 3.5 ton vehicles

I noticed a lot extra signs with just the 3.5t and no pictogram of a truck last year
AND a lot of extra speed cameras set for HGV covering the outside lanes of dual carriageway RN and saw a lot being set off by speeding truckers (from Spain and Portugal) whilst the French guys were sticking to the lower limits which really surprised me

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Extract from Lemondeducampingcar.fr for licences and speed limits in France, make of it as you will.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/p...-savoir-sur-les-camping-cars-poids-lourd.html

Permis de conduire
Pour conduire un camping-car poids lourd, plusieurs options sont possibles

• Dérogation B79: les conducteurs dotés d'un permis B datant d'avant le 20 janvier 1975 peuvent conduire un camping-car poids lourd sans autre formalité qu'une déclaration administrative. Particularité: avec la dérogation B79, il n'y a pas de limitation. On peut conduire un camping-car de 12 tonnes.
  • Permis C1: permet de conduire un camping-car dont le PTAC est inférieur ou égal à 7,5 tonnes. Son renouvellement est soumis à un examen médical.
  • Permis C: le permis poids lourd, le vrai, celui des pros. Il est soumis lui aussi à visite médicale.
La circulation des camping-cars poids lourds
  • Limitations de vitesse: les poids lourd sont soumis à des règles particulières. Entre autres, la limitation à 110 km/h sur autoroute, 100 km/h sur les routes à quatre voies séparées par un terre-plein, et 50km/h en ville, même dans le cas où un panneau autorise la limitation à 70 km/h.
  • L'interdiction de circulation sur certaines voies, signalée par un panneau. Attention, les camping-cars poids lourd ne sont pas soumis à l'interdiction des véhicules de transport de marchandises (un dessin représentant un camion figure sur le panneau). Mais bien au panneau mentionnant une limite de PTAC: par exemple, un "5 t" dans un disque blanc à bord rouge.
Le poids lourd à l'étranger
Les camping-cars poids lourd peuvent bien sûr circuler à l'étranger. N'oubliez pas de vous documenter, avant de partir, sur les limitations de vitesse propres aux pays que vous traverserez. Autre conseil de prudence: les camping-caristes détenteurs de la dérogation B79 doivent se renseigner selon leur destination. Si les pays de l'Union européenne la reconnaissent, la Norvège a longuement hésité avant de l'accepter (lire notre article). Sous d'autres latitudes, de nombreux camping-caristes français ont circulé au Maroc à bord d'un poids lourd avec leur permis d'avant 1975. Mais on n'a jamais réussi à obtenir de réponse officielle des autorités marocaines à cette question. Sur les forums, certains camping-caristes racontent avoir été contrôlés, et pas sanctionnés.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Or In English ;-

Driver's license
To drive a heavy-duty motorhome, several options are possible

Exemption B79: drivers with a B license dating from before 20 January 1975 may drive a motorhome truck without any other formality than an administrative declaration. Particularity: with the derogation B79, there is no limitation. You can drive a motorhome of 12 tons.
Permit C1: allows driving a motorhome whose gross vehicle weight is less than or equal to 7.5 tonnes. Its renewal is subject to a medical examination.
Permit C: the heavyweight license, the real one, that of the pros. He is also subject to medical examination.

The circulation of heavy trucks

Speed Limitations: HGVs are subject to special rules. Among others, the limitation to 110 km / h on the motorway, 100 km / h on the four-lane roads separated by a median, and 50km / h in the city, even if a sign authorizes the limitation to 70 km / h.
Prohibition of traffic on certain roads, indicated by a sign. Beware, heavy truck motorhomes are not subject to the prohibition of goods vehicles (a drawing of a truck is on the panel). But well to the panel mentioning a limit of PTAC: for example, a "5 t" in a white disc with red edge.

The heavyweight abroad
Heavy-duty motorhomes can of course travel abroad. Do not forget to check, before leaving, on the speed limits specific to the countries you will cross. Another precautionary note: motorhome owners holding exemption B79 must inquire according to their destination. If the countries of the European Union recognize it, Norway hesitated for a long time before accepting it (read our article). In other latitudes, many French camper truckers circulated in Morocco aboard a heavyweight with their license before 1975. But we have never managed to get an official response from the Moroccan authorities to this question. On the forums, some motorhomes say they have been controlled, and not sanctioned.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Didn't bother translating as most folks have access to the great lord google ...

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Errrr! Where can I get some of that US spray can stuff for number plates that stop them being read?????????????????????????
It is all down to cameras, I can understand les Gillets going out with sabotage in mind, I have not seen too many patrolling police with cameras.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Am I the only person to read this thread and feel that there are lots of unmarried, married guidance councillors out there who tap out answers and responses while not actually having a clue as to if the answer that they have given is actually correct?

It was a general enquiry originally for clarification but there are dozens of confused and contradictory posts from some people who seem not to have a clue. The first response quoting Spanish speed limits in the hope that they are identical to French rules perhaps males my point?

It would be better if people who actually had some confidence in the factual correctness of their answer wrote posts rather than some of the above total rubbish that has been left as 'facts'.

Sorry but if you don't know the answer then please don't give your view. Is that unfair or unreasonable? I await the onslaught........

Have a nice weekend.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I tend to rely on my sat nav to tell me what the limit is. I updated it before i went abroad in January, but came home to a fixed penalty notice.
I was doing 87kph in what is now an 80kph zone.
I can't say for certain what limit m sat nav was showing at the time, but can anyone tell me how quickly things like changes to speed limits get on to the databases. Mine is a Garmin.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Candapack sometimes they are never right. Frequently they have been previously updated with the location of road works with a temporary speed reduction never to have been reset to the original. Mine is a Garmin and is a fair rule of thumb aid, but, the only way to have a reasonable level of certainty is to learn the rules of the road in the country in which one drive. An hours study may well save you a fine.

@Paul and Val But if all we had was factual responses firstly the level of posting would be cut in half and secondly, and probably more importantly, it wouldn't be the internet. Remember the old adage "let the buyer beware" today it' "Let the reader beware" and you can of course, rather easily verify any "facts" you find here or elsewhere. Used to be barroom lawyers now it's keyboard.

Keep smiling .... it scares the hell of of folks.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I use the speed limits as shown in the ACSI campsite guide. These are shown in the section relating to each individual country.

What bugs me in Spain, is that a huge bus/coach has higher speed limits than a MH over 3500kg. Makes no sense !!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I got a flash on N10 last Oct,, just got the fine through,,:(:(:(. 40 odd euro fine,,no points though. Bet that will change if we stay in EU. BUSBY.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
What do you hold against marriage guidance councillors who may occasionally interpret the speeds
incorrectly :)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I got camera flashed (thought I had better qualify that) in France and I was doing at least 10km under the speed limit. That was 3 weeks ago.
Still waiting to see if we hear anything

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I got camera flashed (thought I had better qualify that) in France and I was doing at least 10km under the speed limit. That was 3 weeks ago.
Still waiting to see if we hear anything
Did camera assume you were a lorry as they have cameras that can determine vehicle types?
camera.JPG

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
And if you don’t pay .... what happens then?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And if you don’t pay .... what happens then?
Using the 'cross border' directive, which they are doing ,they refer it back to the country in which the offender lives I believe , i.e. the dvla , who take over & send in the county court summons/debt collecters/baliffs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back