French Sites (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
We've got the Tunnel booked for early July for our 4 week trip to France. Plan on going through Nomandy, round Brittany then head south towards Bordeaux before heading slowly back. Might pop over to see Versailles on the way home and hope we don't end up in Paris :eek:. We're supposed to go to a christening near Le Mans on 23rd which is why we ended up going over in the middle of the school holidays :(. The problem I'm having in planning is that a lot of the sites seem to have minimum stays of 3 or 4 nights high season, if not more. I appreciate that they will not be cheap! Has anybody else been over in the holidays and how did you get on? We will probably need some sites for filling & emptying and showers, etc., but I don't want to get stuck somewhere for 3 or 4 days.Planning on using some aires, France Passion, etc., but not all the time. Help!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you done this before or are you new it? I think if I was doing that kind of trip I'd certainly make ample use of aires. If unfamiliar with them you may not be aware what they are like. We usually spend 4/5 weeks meandering round France and rarely use anything but aires. I certainly wouldn't be bothering about clubhouses and play areas that sites offer and don't have to worry about being at a particular site for whatever date you have booked it. Not like the UK. You just please yourself and go where you want. It's a whole different concept.

Wyn

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I suppose the minimum nights is to do with school holidays, Aires may be your best bet.
Versailles is worthwhile doing for the history but be prepared for the hoards of tourists and very long queues.
If you like grand gardens there is one in Normandy based on Versailles called camp Bastille. It has spectacular fountains that were turned off when we were there but I still preferred it to Versailles. Mostly because there was us and about four others !
Would love to go back sometime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are already a member of France passion , and also useing aires there is no need whatsoever of camp sites, we do five weeks every year and use nothing else.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Up until a couple of years ago we always travelled during school holidays and have never booked a campsite in advance. We have only been turned away from one and that was near Paris, we have never been asked to stay a min nights so just go and give it a go.
As others have mentioned we also used Aires and one year used France Passion so the use of one or both of these would certainly give you loads of options.

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Have you done this before or are you new it? I think if I was doing that kind of trip I'd certainly make ample use of aires. If unfamiliar with them you may not be aware what they are like. We usually spend 4/5 weeks meandering round France and rarely use anything but aires. I certainly wouldn't be bothering about clubhouses and play areas that sites offer and don't have to worry about being at a particular site for whatever date you have booked it. Not like the UK. You just please yourself and go where you want. It's a whole different concept.

Wyn
Thanks @WynandJean . This will be our 3rd trip across but have only used sites before. Have got various stopover & aires sites/apps downloaded so could be a whole new experience! (Esp trying to pay for water & leccy, etc.!)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
To give you some idea of Aires have a browse through my videos, link below, and get an idea of what to expect.

Some Aires are brilliant, some good and some not so good - depends a lot on what you're looking for and what your expectations are.

The CamperContact App is a useful tool but there are plenty more ways of finding Aires.

Have a great holiday wherever you stay and visit.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We usually do France during the summer when the kids are off, been all over mostly using the Aires too. But we have also used camp sites there but not had minimum days listed perhaps it's only with the popular busiest ones like over here ?
Anyway Google is your best planning friend over there I just do a basic route plan and throw in a few things we want to do or to visit and sort the rest as we go. A link for a good camp site group we've used is...

http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/?xtor=ES-10000106

Not the cheapest but they have all the bells and whistles you could want in a site plus they are mostly next to lovely beaches.

Enjoy your trip, don't drive to much or you miss a lot, I like trying to get lost or wander out there which has found us some great and unexpected spots .

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If you are already a member of France passion , and also useing aires there is no need whatsoever of camp sites, we do five weeks every year and use nothing else.
No mention of searchforsites chaser,your slacking :eek:(y)

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Last year was our 1st trip to France, we booked a Yelloh village site in advance of going for 7 nights.
Before we left the site we phoned a different Yelloh site for an additional 4 nights on the way home.
Although we had all the Aires directory we did utilise them.
This year we are doing a 7 night stay with Yelloh, but either side travelling there and back will use the Aires for multiple stops.
All the Aires is a worthy companion whilst travelling, especially if you don't have any signal for some of the popular apps available.

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
we drove all round France last year in the summer holidays and the only place we did not get into was in Annecy. That said, the next site a couple of hundred metres away turned out to be better and had a place. Lots of the sites were municipals and pretty cheap.
We haven't tried aires yet - are you able to sit outisde with chairs and awning up? Cook outside? I had the impression this was not the case so haven't fancied it for this reason.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Municipal sites generally will let you stay one or two nights if you need to, most will have a couple of spaces available but I would recommend aires.
Most have service points, many are free to stay in, but avoid small coastal and touristy town aires as they will likely be full anywhere near a holiday.
And the best thing about aires in France is that there are loads of them and if you find one full, there will be one with a space nearby.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How much is the France passion guide?

£24.99 from Vicarious Books - https://www.vicarious-shop.com/France-Passion-2017.html

Similar price if you buy direct, I believe.
Worth every penny (y) if you think Aires are too basic and sites too dear this is the way to go, see real French people in their working environment, we have done loads, bit off the beaten track but all the better for that if you want real France, no pressure to buy anything and on loads we have been on you rarely see anyone unless you go looking for them, we also use Aires most of the time but if there is a fp close by will use that instead.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
In the picture there are awnings out, one guy is fishing, a couple more watching the boats on the Seine and at another Motorhome a table is ready to be used for a meal.

Aires being used like this are all over France and the Aires system is part of French life.

Go and enjoy them.

AIRE MAILLERAYE 1 (600 x 345).jpg

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We have FP and both All the Aires books, ACSI, and various apps ready for our first trip to France starting in September. We already have our first FP stop pencilled in for our third night.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have FP and both All the Aires books, ACSI, and various apps ready for our first trip to France starting in September. We already have our first FP stop pencilled in for our third night.
You won't regret your fp, believe me, not often I give out praise on here but fp was one of our best motorhome accessories (y), we have been members now since 2012, except last year and found we missed them so joined again this year.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's not just a guide book then? You have to join?
Just looked in the Google Play Store and doesn't look like they have an app yet. You must have to bugger about with one of those old fashioned book things :ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think it's the FP stops that we're most looking forward to :)
We have been on ice cream farms, vegetable farms, buffalo farm, cheese farm, apple farms , peanut farm, mustard farm, vineyards galore, mussel farm, duck farm, ostrich farm, cafes, and many just fields.
And in most you can have your tables and chairs out and eat the fresh stuff from the farm.
Just can't knock them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's not just a guide book then? You have to join?
Just looked in the Google Play Store and doesn't look like they have an app yet. You must have to bugger about with one of those old fashioned book things :ROFLMAO:
If you are talking about fp, you are right there isn't an app, but when you are member there is an interactive map and you can plan your tour on it.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We have been on ice cream farms, vegetable farms, buffalo farm, cheese farm, apple farms , peanut farm, mustard farm, vineyards galore, mussel farm, duck farm, ostrich farm, cafes, and many just fields.
And in most you can have your tables and chairs out and eat the fresh stuff from the farm.
Just can't knock them.
Can I please have coordinates for the ice cream farm?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can I please have coordinates for the ice cream farm?
The ice cream farm is actually the nearest one to Calais , I will look it up , we sometimes stop there last stop before the tunnel.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just looks like a farm on Google Maps. Is there signs up telling you where to park? I can imagine an irate farmer coming out to us with a pitch fork.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back