dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
thanks for that useful link, will print that out too just in case i get the confidence to venture over the channel again.. (y)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Travelling in France is a real pleasure compared to England ... just a few adjustments to make when driving on the right. I tend to find that the worst parts of our holidays on the continent are getting to Folkestone from home and returning from Folkstone to home; the rest is so nice - (omitting the rush hours around Paris and Brussels)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And remember that Rappel above a road speed sign is a reminder of the speed--- not the name of a village as my friend thought.
Going into a village/ hamlet / commune where the name is outlined in red means the speed limit is automatically 50 Kms per hour ( about 30 mph) . On leaving the village where the name is struck through means the speed limit returns to either the National limit for that type of road or another limit if indicated. ( it's easier than it sounds!)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A good tip for some of our UK cyclists too .....
"If you happen upon an area of road construction and see a temporary traffic signal set up, always stop until the red light turns green, even if you see no one else around!"

There is one road sign that I have never understood the meaning of.
Its an image of a car with an explosion in the engine bay.
images

Anyone?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This seems very informative.(y)

"Suivez Par Bent Tour pénis"

paris.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Another one for potholes is

"Trous en formation" which means literally holes forming

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
A good tip for some of our UK cyclists too .....
"If you happen upon an area of road construction and see a temporary traffic signal set up, always stop until the red light turns green, even if you see no one else around!"

There is one road sign that I have never understood the meaning of.
Its an image of a car with an explosion in the engine bay.
images

Anyone?
No entry for vehicles carrying explosives or flamable goods.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Direction signs are interesting.
On the right hand side of the road pointing left means 'go straight on'
On the left side of the road pointing left means 'go left'.
Way back (before sat navs were even though of) I used to get caught out by these!:unsure:
You rarely see a sign pointing up indicating 'go straight on'!!o_O
Mike and Annie:cool::)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Useful website, albeit from an American driver's perspective. One small error I noticed regarding a cycle instruction. The term Sauf Bike does not mean 'bikes safe'. In the context shown it means 'No entry to traffic EXCEPT bikes'. So, if you are going the correct way down a one-way street, but there is one of these signs at the other end, you can expect to meet bikes coming towards you the 'wrong' way.
Bikes Safe.jpg

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for that useful link, will print that out too just in case i get the confidence to venture over the channel again.. (y)
As a lover of continental driving and motoring I was intrigued by your comment, perhaps I missed your thread explaining why your confidence has been so severely compromised. If you have not shared your experience could you be encouraged to do so as it may well help others who would like to go across the channel but as yet lack confidence. Also experienced travellers are always eager to learn of possible hazards of driving abroad.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The term Sauf Bike does not mean 'bikes safe'. In the context shown it means 'No entry to traffic EXCEPT bikes'. So, if you are going the correct way down a one-way street, but there is one of these signs at the other end, you can expect to meet bikes coming towards you the 'wrong' way.
View attachment 37275

Thanks. I forgot to include "Sauf" - it appears quite regularly, including "Sauf piétons" - meaning "No entry except pedestrians".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back