French Police crack down on ´smuggling´?? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the limit of tobacco, booze you can take from Spain through to Uk. We were told a ´horror´story yesterday that police were stopping motorhomes and searching them, anything over a very small amount of cigarettes or booze resulted in an on the spot fine!

I thought with the EU you could bring a fair amount of goods back through can anyone please advise me

The weather is still brilliant here, and David Price arrived yesterday so we have a good little meet starting there are about 6 british motorhomes at the moment and we are all having a great time.

Ginny and Mike

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I read this story about three years ago I believe it is a myth but other will know for sure.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes there are restrictions on importing tobacco and alcohol.. so if you buy in Spain or Belgium you are technically importing to France on your homeward journey to the UK
There is no restrictions if you purchase in France..

Import regulations by France customs

Import:

Tobacco products
200 cigarettes or
100 cigarillos or
50 cigars or
250 grams of tobacco

Alcohol:
1 liter of spirits over 22 % vol. or
2 liters of fortified wine or sparkling wine
2 liters of still wine

Perfume:
50 Grams

Eau de toilette:
250 ml

Other goods: Up to a value of 175 Euro

French Customs: Regulations, Export-Import Procedures of France Customs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Jim is spot on there, the original report from way back in 2005 can be found on the following link.

France outlaws tobacco tourism - Times Online

The French police have a purge every so often, so best be aware.
If you want to bring goods back into the country use the Ramsgate - Ostend ferry service. Drive through France to Belgium and buy your goods in Adinkerke you can then bring home your full EU limit.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi been stopped three times, once near the Spanish border with some others, but after a few grunts and it became obvious we didn't speak French he told us to get lost. (In French :ROFLMAO:)

And twice near Calais by the Duane, after searching a coach in the Aire they came over to search us, she took one look at the cat and spent five mins coaching her, then waved us on.

The last time was coming back from Portugal last year with both daughters and grandson, they still had the beds out, :Eeek: the place was a tip, he muttered something in French and gave up. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
The site Mike referred to states -

Tobacco and alcohol

However, special rules apply in the case of goods subject to excise duty, such as alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. If a private person purchases such products in one Member State and takes them to another Member State, the principle that no excise duty has to be paid in the Member State of destination only applies if the goods are

* for the own use of the traveller or his family and
* transported by himself.

To determine whether these products are for the own use of the traveller, Member States must take account of all the relevant factors. These include:

* The commercial status of the holder of the products and his reasons for holding them;
* The place where the products are located or, if appropriate, the mode of transport used;
* Any document relating to the products;
* The nature of the products;
* The quantity of the products.

As to the last element, Member States may lay down guide levels, solely as a form as evidence, which cannot be lower than the following quantities:
a) Tobacco products

* cigarettes 800 items
* cigarillos (cigars weighing not more than 3 g each) 400 items
* cigars 200 items
* smoking tobacco 1.0 kg

b) Alcoholic beverages

* spirit drinks 10 litres
* intermediate products 20 litres
* wines (including a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wines) 90 litres
* beers 110 litres
The limit on fags can be zero for all I care and as a moderate drinker, the booze limits seem pretty generous so are these the limits the French MUST apply as a minimum, or have I missed something.

Last edited:

Deleted User
See the official EU website from which the following was taken:

Link Removed

Mike

You can access and save then print the French version of these regulations by using the link to the English version then substituting fr for en in the www address header. If you then get stopped show this to the Douane and hope for the best!!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Very interesting thread, I honestly thought the only EU country to impose these sorts of restrictions was the UK, it seems perhaps we aren't as bad as everyone suggests ?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You can access and save then print the French version of these regulations by using the link to the English version then substituting fr for en in the www address header. If you then get stopped show this to the Douane and hope for the best!!

Hi your wasting your time, their not searching you for fun, if your over their limits you will have to pay.

This came about because French shopkeepers complained their customers were slipping over the border and getting their fags and booze cheaper. As always the French make teir own rules. ::bigsmile:

Olley

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Am going back a long while now, we were stopped by UK customs having brought back 6,000 ciggies from france which were purchase after being made redundant. These were neither hidden or concealed.

We had already checked with customs to make sure what we were doing was okay and prebooked the ciggies through the ferry company. They took our passports and checked to see how often we had been abroad (which we hadnt for at least 3 years prior)

They spent over an hour with us and our son who was in a pushchair at the time.

Proving that they are for your own consumption is extremely difficult.

We were eventually allowed on our way, with our ciggies and booze (we only had 1 litre of alcohol which was a present for my dad) but told if we bought in bulk again it would most likely be confiscated.

They also checked with the customs officer that I had spoken to on the phone (note they dont give their names anymore, luckily I had my diary with me and had written down his full name.)

So be warned, even if you are bringing in what you can bring in, it still can cause hassle.

Good Luck xxxx

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If I ever had anything confiscated from me I would take HM Customs to court faster than they could say open your bags. IMO they are not operating within the law.

Cheers
Jim:Smile:

There I go jumping to the end of the thread again. Thought we were talking about the brits.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The site Mike referred to states -

The limit on fags can be zero for all I care and as a moderate drinker, the booze limits seem pretty generous so are these the limits the French MUST apply as a minimum, or have I missed something.

Thanks for all your information guys, we never bring much back only tobacco for the sons, but I was a little concerned about them searching through the camper, it cant be a nice experience.

Ginny and Mike

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thats because you don't smoke.

For all i care the limit on booze could be zero as i hardly ever drink. But then that would be selfish of me as there are plenty of people who do like a drink. Personally though i think the allowances for alcohol are excessive and far above anyones personal needs.....even for regular drinkers.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I thought the story was that most of those who have been stopped had been to Andora?
I flatly refuse to bring any fags back for anyone, they can kill themselves without my help and any boose is always for moi:ROFLMAO:

passionwagon

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
somewhere in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
lo profile
Exp
Hi, Very interesting thread, I honestly thought the only EU country to impose these sorts of restrictions was the UK, it seems perhaps we aren't as bad as everyone suggests ?

:Eeek:Just a small point that the French customs are after those who buy in Andorra ( not part of the EU nor subject to its regulations) and travel back into Spain (although their customs can be as hot) then cross into France!! This also happens between Switzerland and any adjacent country. Hence do not buy your EU allowances before your last route is entirely through EU countries. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Eeek:Just a small point that the French customs are after those who buy in Andorra ( not part of the EU nor subject to its regulations) and travel back into Spain (although their customs can be as hot) then cross into France!! This also happens between Switzerland and any adjacent country. Hence do not buy your EU allowances before your last route is entirely through EU countries. :thumb:

That may be the case but they are also stopping those coming back from Belgium, so it's not just non EU countries.

P

petevw

Deleted User
cigarettes

Last year my partner and i went on holiday to perpignan france i went to the border town of le Pertus where we bought what i thought was our allowance that is 3200 cigarettes each cost approximately 1000 pounds when we got back to the car we where stopped by the french customs who confiscated all the cigarettes apart from 6 cartons which they said was the allowed amount for the two of us they then took me to the cash machine for a on the spot fine of 320 euros. So i would personally never buy cigarettes in spain and bring them back into france learn from my costly mistake. regards a sleepless pete.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats cos they could see Bruno had'nt stunted his growth by smoking:ROFLMAO:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Am I missing something here - surely the rules are that as long as you pay the duty in the EU country in which you are purchasing the items, you DO NOT have to pay any other duty and cannot be fined/have items confiscated.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am I missing something here - surely the rules are that as long as you pay the duty in the EU country in which you are purchasing the items, you DO NOT have to pay any other duty and cannot be fined/have items confiscated.:Eeek:

I'm afraid you are .. the condition is that they are for your own use and NOT reselling.. try bring a shed load into the UK and tell the customs that you smoke 500 a day :ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The French police have a purge every so often, so best be aware.
If you want to bring goods back into the country use the Ramsgate - Ostend ferry service. Drive through France to Belgium and buy your goods in Adinkerke you can then bring home your full EU limit.

I always though that the UK limit was as much as you want providing it was for personal use.

Are you say that there is a fixed limit?

Doug...

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Doug
Customs get suspicious when you bring back more than what they deem to be an acceptable limit for personal use. They may also "assume" that each time you travel abroad that you bring back the same quantity of goods, which in turn suggests to them that the goods are for commercial purposes. The following is taken from the Custome & Excise web site.

If you are bringing in alcohol or tobacco goods and we have reason to suspect they may be for a commercial purpose, a Customs officer may ask you questions and make checks, for example about:

• the type and quantity of goods you have bought
  • why you bought them
  • how you paid for them
  • whether all your goods are openly displayed or concealed
  • how often you travel
  • how much you normally smoke or drink or
  • any other relevant circumstances.
You are particularly likely to be asked questions if you have more than:
3200 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos, 3kg tobacco, 110 litres of beer, 90 litres of wine, 10 litres of spirits, 20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry).
The officer will take into account all the factors of the situation and your explanation.
If we are satisfied that the goods are for a commercial purpose we may seize them and any vehicle used to transport them, and may not return them to you.
If you are caught selling alcohol or tobacco goods they may be seized, and for a serious offence you could get up to seven years in prison.
The country where you buy tobacco goods may have its own laws on how much you can buy or have in your possession, and what documents you need. If in doubt, check with that country’s authorities before you buy.
If you let a coach, ferry or aircraft store your goods while travelling back to the UK you must make sure when you arrive in the UK that you collect the exact goods you bought.
From some EU countries there are limits on the amount of tobacco products you can bring back without paying UK duty.
From ESTONIA - 200 cigarettes or 250g of smoking tobacco*
From BULGARIA, LITHUANIA or ROMANIA - 200 cigarettes*
*No limit on other tobacco products as long as they are for your own use.
If you have tobacco products over these limits you should speak to a Customs officer in the red channel or on the red point phone.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I always though that the UK limit was as much as you want providing it was for personal use.

Are you saying that there is a fixed limit?

Doug...
You are right........to a point.

HMRC Notice 1 states;

Alcohol and tobacco
For most EU countries, there are no limits on
the amount of duty and/or tax paid alcohol and
tobacco that you can bring into the UK as long as
they are for your own use
or gifts and are
transported by you.

it then goes on to state;

If you are bringing in alcohol or tobacco goods
and we have reason to suspect they may be for
a commercial purpose, an officer may ask you
questions and make checks.

And thats the catch part...."if we have reason to suspect" which blows the thing wide open to abuse by HMRC.

"Reason to suspect" can amount to a number of things they look for. They have a tendency to mark single men or two or three men and old vehicles. Couples are rarely stopped, families even less so. Single females travelling alone also very rare that they will be targeted.

HMRC like rolling tobacco and cigarettes.......they couldn't give a flying fig how much booze you have on board. Not interested.

When stopped and asked if you have any tobacco you should tell them exactly how much. If you don't, and they decide to interview you....you can find yourself in deep shit. You are guilty until you can prove your innocence. Not the other way round. And you have to convince them of how much you actually do smoke.

I get stopped and questioned every single time i leave and return.
Some officers are ok and pleasant folk, most are absolute jobsworthy b'stards.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,

We are not bothered about bringing alcohol or tobacco into the uk, we dont bring enough. We do like to bring a couple of packs of beer (especially as we are calling at Stratford) and tobacco for our sons. The police in Calais always come into the motorhome to check for 'illegals' so I suppose if they found loads of cartons of cigarettes or boxes of booze they would then pull us over.

What we dont want is the B***** French police stopping us and going through the motorhome! From what I have read they are a law unto themselves and can do what they like no matter what the EU was supposed to mean.

I find it baffling that people can take back suitcases of cigarettes, but we are likely to have anything over a small amount confiscated!

It would be a shame our Yorkshire terriers aren't staffies, if they stopped us! they might think again.

Ginny

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
how do the french police tell the difference . they just search anybody. or nobody. even if you carry nothing they can still search .probably harder if they find nothing on a quick search. the best way is avoid france. they may get the message. :thumb:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Customs S. of France

Another one to be aware of is buying counterfeit/copies of well known makes of high end fashion goods (as if anyone would) at the market in Ventimiglia just over the border in Italy, they showed the police stopping and confiscating goods at the border on the news.

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Some people drink a reasonable amount, some a moderate amount and some hardly at all.

I drink and smoke a lot, that is my choice!!!!

I brought back from Spain through Bilbao, 3000 cigs, 1k rolling baccy, 12 lts of my favourite Spanish cognac and 4lts of wine. This will see me through to next year or almost. As this all for personal use and knowing the way the French like to implement their own rules, chose to leave Spain by the direct method. Of course @ 12mpg in an ARV, I was slightly biased.

Ian

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back