French or Spanish side of Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Hi all
Booked Ferry into Santander 27th May, planning to travel to Italian Lakes wondered if there are any thoughts which side to follow, would love to hear your replies and why, many thanks in anticipation

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If it were me, I might wait and decide depending on weather. It can be cold and raining on French side and when you pop over to Spanish side, voila, the sun!
Like @pappajohn a bit confused as to your route but presume you have good reasons?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi all
Booked Ferry into Santander 27th May, planning to travel to Italian Lakes wondered if there are any thoughts which side to follow, would love to hear your replies and why, many thanks in anticipation

Really???? You realise that Santander is further away from the Italian lakes than Calais or Le havre come to that ( noting your in eastleigh).

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well sometimes it is nice to take the scenic route.

OP
OP
R

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
yes sueandjohn across south of france, north through Italy, Switzerland, Black forest, Mosel valley then home.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On the French side you've got Biarritz, Carcassonne, Narbonne etc and a bigger faster W - E road. The Spanish side would be more scenic and winding. We've done Carcassonne to Biarritz in a day with time to spare so it's not a long haul.

Going from S France into Italy it's tempting to hug the Med coast, but the main road is akin to a 1980s arcade racing game - I'll never drive it again if there's an alternative.

On our last trip from S France to Lake Garda we went from Avignon to Briancon via Gap on the A51 and N94, stopping overnight in the aire at Briancon. Next morning, up over the Col de Montgenevre and down into Italy via Oulx then across N Italy on the A4/E70 to Lake Garda. The advantage is no tunnel toll and lovely scenery, the road is 'A' road quality (if a little curvy in places) and you don't feel like you've been on a Scalextric track full of Italian drivers for the best part of a day.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could spend your entire holiday around the Pyrenees. :) There is so much to see there. As already suggested the Spanish side is generally drier than the French side but you need to look at the weather forecast but factor in just nipping over the border might involve a long drive.
I would favour the Spanish side and the Ansò valley near Huesca is worth exploring, Camping Zuriza is quite remote but at the end of a narrow road. The Ordesa national park further to the east is stunning, Europe's Grand Canyon and much easier to get to.
On the French side the bit south west of Carcassonne has a lot to see including the Cathar castles. :)
If heading east from the south end of the Pyrenees I suggest avoiding the coast and stay inland. The Cevennes are worth dawdling through.
And I should be getting off the ferry in Santander in April then heading towards Italy so you aren't alone choosing this route. :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You could spend your entire holiday around the Pyrenees. :) There is so much to see there. As already suggested the Spanish side is generally drier than the French side but you need to look at the weather forecast but factor in just nipping over the border might involve a long drive.
I would favour the Spanish side and the Ansò valley near Huesca is worth exploring, Camping Zuriza is quite remote but at the end of a narrow road. The Ordesa national park further to the east is stunning, Europe's Grand Canyon and much easier to get to.
On the French side the bit south west of Carcassonne has a lot to see including the Cathar castles. :)
If heading east from the south end of the Pyrenees I suggest avoiding the coast and stay inland. The Cevennes are worth dawdling through.
And I should be getting off the ferry in Santander in April then heading towards Italy so you aren't alone choosing this route. :)

And Aiguestortes!!! Spanish side btw.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
yes sueandjohn across south of france, north through Italy, Switzerland, Black forest, Mosel valley then home.
Wow that sounds fabulous. If you drive via Caseres in spain there is a great aire, superb town centre and good eats

OP
OP
R

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Thanks for the replies, our trip will be about the journey not the destination so all the places you have mentioned will be of great interest in researching a route, have any of you visited Andora in a largish Mo ho ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the replies, our trip will be about the journey not the destination so all the places you have mentioned will be of great interest in researching a route, have any of you visited Andora in a largish Mo ho ?
Why would you want to? :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Drove through Andora la ville only stopping for some cheap tobacco and cigarettes. the towns a bit of a dump really but the roads are quite good.....proper 'driving' roads with bends and things.

Reactions: f6c

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why would you want to? :)
I must confess I've never been but I drove past it last year. Of course there is beauty to be found everywhere but Andorra wouldn't be my first choice of places to look for it but if you are after cheap booze etc then give it a spin.
I went here instead, not too far away. But it all depends on what you want. :)

OI000290.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Wow, googled some of the places suggested, how accessible are these places in a motorhome ? we have scooters with us but looks like hiking country to me !.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
The roads can be quite tight in places for 2 passing motorhome size vehicles some parts have had rock face cut away and rocks fall on road but it is a lovely area.
We drove by carcassonne and headed to salamanca near portugal stopping at a couple of places on way through you really need to plan a route for parking at night be it campsite or aire.
That is where me and another motorhome clashed mirrors either 1 of us could of stopped but we didn't and both ended up with broken mirrors

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our Pyrenees experience is limited to the half towards the Bay of Biscay and in that area we found the French side much more interesting and beautiful.

We found some very good places with the help of 'barryd' s excellent guide.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi all

Funny way to go to Italy,,,miles out of your way,,,,,Unless you want to tour the Pyrenees and Camargue and South of France on route,,,, ,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Wow that sounds fabulous. If you drive via Caseres in spain there is a great aire, superb town centre and good eats

Caseras is way down in Spain on route to Portugal,,BUSBY,,

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back