tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do excuse me for sounding thick but what are they? Are they owned or subsidised by the French government? Who gets the money, campsite owner or is it a manager? Thinking of staying on one as there cheaper:hardhat:

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
We used to use them a lot, before we discovered the delights of aires.

As far as I know, they're run by the local town, so are not truly commercial. Some of them are happy to have travellers staying on them, which didn't bother us.

Gerald

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Im sure some of them are rented out so money will go to both i think some are also council run with manager in them not 100% sure. What i am sure of though is you will find some lovely campsites at half the price of normal sites and normally they are close to all services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I stayed on one but couldnt work out why it was half the price of everywhere else i'd stayed and quite nice!
Is there a book that llist sites anywere, something like the aires one?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Think they vary across France.
The one in my village is owned by the council and has had a lot of money put into it in the last year (new road, new bunkhouse which is used for school groups)
It's alongside the River Dronne, has a canoe hire point, a cafe, football pitch, tennis courts, lots of play equipment for children, a man-made beach on the river, what looks like a clubhouse, petanque/boules pitch. 5 minute walk into village with bars/restaurants, weekly market.
There's also a motorhome aire with a new bourne, and free motorhome parking right next to the river.
The one in the small town where I lived in the Midi Pyrenees was built around a lake, very pretty area and it had a lovely restaurant on it.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It is run by the Mairie , and it is the Mairie which gets the money . The people in charge of the campsite are paid by the mairie. They are simple employees. In the smallest villages , you pay directly at the mairie for your stay.....which means you have to get there BEFORE the Mairie shuts (4.00 or 5.00 pm)you will be able to buy the showers tokens as well (jetons). Sometimes there is no one at all on the site. I know one like that in the Pyrénées called "la barguillère" and you can use the swimming pool (which is just on the other side of the river, a few meters away) for nothing if you use the campsite!

Usually they are much less expensive than private campsites!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back