French Motorway classification (1 Viewer)

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I have used French toll motorways quite a lot. Whenever I have driven Germany-UK or Germany-Spain.
But it has always been in a motorhome under 3.5T and under 3m height. This makes it a Class 2 in France.
If I get a single-axle trailer (for a motor scooter, or for 2 eBikes + stuff) will that be Class 3 or Class 4?
What if it is a 2-axle trailer?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Let me know if there's something you don't get. I haven't read it all

Don't miss the thin red arrow at the bottom . It leads you to a more detailed form (pdf)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think to be class 2 the van and trailer combined must be under 3.5T and under 3m high; but i may be wrong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Devra

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks, but it doesn't help me much. I was hoping to find someone who actually has a 3.5T van and tows a 1 or 2-axle trailer.
I don't speak a word of French and I haven't seen any English-language websites that explicitly mention whether the weight of van and trailer must be less than 3.5T.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Class 2....3 axles under 3500kg

It says 3 axle but includes multiple axles..

3 essieux et plus... 3 or more axle

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Devra

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
But the PDF from Link Removed claims that a car with a trailer under 2m height is still Class 1, and that is 3 axles.
It also shows 3m vehicles with trailers as Class 4, but I under 3m.

OP
OP
Devra

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry Pappajohn, I was replying to your comment before you edited it.
Anybody there with actual experience?

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Anybody there with actual experience?

We tow a trailer with our Harley's on, PVC 3500 and trailer 1300, always class 2. It has nothing to do with combined weight, rather height and then number of axles.

We used to have USRV plus trailer, RV on own class 3 with trailer behind class 4

Mick

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
OP
OP
Devra

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
yodeli : Yes I went to the link. It is a 2-page PDF. All the text is French and in the drawings on page 2 the only trailers shown are in Class 1 and Class 4. There is NO explicit example of a motorhome < 3m with a trailer. That is why I asked for a simple YES/NO from somebody with actual experience.
If you cannot answer in a civil manner, then please do not answer at all!

Thank you to all the others who weren't trying to show how "clever" they are.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
yodeli : Yes I went to the link. It is a 2-page PDF. All the text is French and in the drawings on page 2 the only trailers shown are in Class 1 and Class 4. There is NO explicit example of a motorhome < 3m with a trailer. That is why I asked for a simple YES/NO from somebody with actual experience.

How rude of you, yodeli is one of the most helpful people on here with regard to French problems she has even said she will ring SANEF for you.

I think you owe her a big apology.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Devra yodeli The lady you refer to is French, bi-lingual, and one of the forum members who goes out of her way to help anyone in need. Your comments are unwarranted and rude.

OP
OP
Devra

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I beg to differ.
Telling anybody that they have failed to do what a child could do is NOT polite.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Right we're not going to argue for ages about that. You found I was rude? Ok Apologies if I made you feel that bad. Now, just be in my shoes for a few minutes. I always try to do my best to help when someone needs something in France. Fortunatly I don't get upset by all the ones who take my info and never say thanks, even though I'm not expecting anything in return, let alone those who never come back to actually read the info they've asked for, (sometimes while in big distress!) , or those who just don't read. I try to take no notice of all these ones, and carry on doing my best . I called SANEF which is shut (I know .... bloody French always eating or on strike !) Now here is the form with some help ...The only french I could read on this was "essieu" which is axle, and TBH I would think that Google would have managed quite alright for you to have the translation. Other than that I can't see a real prob in reading this page, even though .... I'm brainless as I am a woman (brunette, not blond... but does it really help?... not sure! Put on top I am French Chris would laugh and tell me to go back to my kitchen ;) :lips: )
I hope my little drawing will help better than my words. I considered your usual Moho you said under 3m high and under 3,5t but with a trailer it goes over 3,5t total weight , and with 2 axles it is , class 3 with 3 or more it is class 4

Have a beautiful day!

Amicalement

Frankie

SANEF LES CRITERES 001.jpg

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Right we're not going to argue for ages about that. You found I was rude? Ok Apologies if I made you feel that bad. Now, just be in my shoes for a few minutes. I always try to do my best to help when someone needs something in France. Fortunatly I don't get upset by all the ones who take my info and never say thanks, even though I'm not expecting anything in return, let alone those who never come back to actually read the info they've asked for, (sometimes while in big distress!) , or those who just don't read. I try to take no notice of all these ones, and carry on doing my best . I called SANEF which is shut (I know .... bloody French always eating or on strike !) Now here is the form with some help ...The only french I could read on this was "essieu" which is axle, and TBH I would think that Google would have managed quite alright for you to have the translation. Other than that I can't see a real prob in reading this page, even though .... I'm brainless as I am a woman (brunette, not blond... but does it really help?... not sure! Put on top I am French Chris would laugh and tell me to go back to my kitchen ;) :lips: )
I hope my little drawing will help better than my words. I considered your usual Moho you said under 3m high and under 3,5t but with a trailer it goes over 3,5t total weight , and with 2 axles it is , class 3 with 3 or more it is class 4

Have a beautiful day!

Amicalement

Frankie

View attachment 358970
Yodeli so sorry that you had to have that directed at you for trying to help. However move on and rest assured that there very many funsters that are very greatful for your help....

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I don’t know the legal answer but we have a motorhome at 3.3t, (our previous one was 3.5t and the one before 3.65t). All just under 3m high.

We tow a single axle trailer for our scooter and have never been charged at anything other than Class 2, using the Movis TAG.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Having been on the wrong side of Jim because of my ignorance and big mouth....I often wondered how you knew some one had been banned? Now I know.....Its a "Red" thing!

Kev.....2 weeks Jim? Or should it be more? Lol (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As an aside to all of the above, and not knowing if French law is different to UK law with regard to trailers, but;
There's a little voice whispering in my left lughole from a previous occupation I gave up on nearly 20yrs ago that tells me that;
If two wheels on the same side of a vehicle (including a trailer) have centres that are less than 1 metre apart, they shall be treated as one wheel for the purposes of legislation.
I seem to remember it was something to do with the time they banned the carriage of horses in trailers that only had one axle.
I appreciate it doesn't help the hapless banned member but it would go someway into explaining tolls and the like. Two axles or one on a trailer, it only counts as one.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I emailed the German road law authorities in English as I only know about 100 words of German. Explaining that I was soon about to drive my motorhome (supplied all the relevant details)I received a very explanatory reply thanking me for enquiring about their traffic laws BEFORE entering Germany. And answered all my questions. Which I printed out and have stored in the van just in case I get stopped. Perhaps you could do the same for any country that you are going to visit. Courtesy always pays.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back