French mini speed cameras ! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
RADAR CARS
In the battle against speeding, 450 unmarked radar cars will be on French roads by the end of this year, according to the road safety authority Sécurité Routiére. Carrying high-tech cameras, the cars will be on the road 24 hours per day. Rather than try and catch out motorists, the Charente-Maritime gendarmerie have unveiled their plans to use the radar cars alongside additional cars used by local police, and even announced the routes that they will be on. “We have no interest in fining,” says unit leader Sébastien Letellier. “What we want is for people to stay alive”. The radar is installed behind the windscreen in the passenger area and is capable of measuring the speed of any vehicle within its range. There is also a flash installed beneath the registration plate. The vehicles will be driven at the authorised speed limit, so overtaking them means you are speeding, although a 10% margin is applied. While confinement has reduced traffic on the roads, excessive speeding (greater than 50km/h over the limit) has gone up steeply (+21%). Initially the cars will be driven by gendarmes, but it is expected that responsibility will be handed over to private firms later in the year.

Source: LIVING Magazine.
If they've worked out they're at risk of losing 60 million euros of revenue from UK drivers alone sounds like a good investment, just wait on UK plates coming off the ferries and send one of the 450 off to shadow them, jobs a good un!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Think you missed the point i.e. they can't issue you a penalty notice if they don't know who you are i.e. there's no agreement with UK to supply driver information the way there was when we were EU members.
But delays get a little sweetener to divulge.
£2.50 I think
Mitch

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
New game now springs to mind.
Only the Brits can play it , and only in France.

See who can drive carefully to generate the longest tail back😆

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Some years ago. Leicester Forest services M1. had an Unmarked British racing green type coloured Subaru Sports car that patrolled its area....... It had......... GOLD..... coloured wheels........... OOOoppps....... DOH !!
Tea Bag

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
In France, I thought by law, all radar cameras had a warning sign to say they were ahead of you. With the further introduction of 450 unmarked speed radar detection cars throughout France and the only way to avoid a fine is to drive to the speed limit, do it. These cars will be driven initially by the police and travel at whatever the speed limit is at that time. Therefore overtake one and they have got you.

As speed in Europe is in Kph, why not buy a GPS HUD and set it to kph. I have used one of these in Europe for a number of years with great success. Just switch back to MPH when home. When we are on holiday, I want our cash just for that, not to pay for speeding fines.

Drive slooowly.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As speed in Europe is in Kph, why not buy a GPS HUD and set it to kph. I have used one of these in Europe for a number of years with great success. Just switch back to MPH when home. When we are on holiday, I want our cash just for that, not to pay for speeding fines.

Drive slooowly.
The pesky Gendarmerie really are out to get us! Watch out for random roadblocks and breathalyser checks especially after lunchtime.

I haven't been to France since 2019 (sob) but on the major D roads you see advance warning signs about "radars".

The Garmin 760 shows quite accurate GPS speed in MPH or KPH. I find it much easier to keep an eye on the satnav than the hard-to-read X290 speedometer. Also the Garmin gives a loud "BONG" warning when you exceed the speed limit in its map database, so doubly handy. (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
The pesky Gendarmerie really are out to get us! Watch out for random roadblocks and breathalyser checks especially after lunchtime.

I haven't been to France since 2019 (sob) but on the major D roads you see advance warning signs about "radars".

The Garmin 760 shows quite accurate GPS speed in MPH or KPH. I find it much easier to keep an eye on the satnav than the hard-to-read X290 speedometer. Also the Garmin gives a loud "BONG" warning when you exceed the speed limit in its map database, so doubly handy. (y)(y)
Agree, SpeedyDux , I change my Garmin over to KPH whilst going through the tube. I've found the speedo on my Peugeot Boxer based moho is so inaccurate it's useless; it over-reads so much that to comply with it in built-up areas, I'd probably be arrested for curb-crawling.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also the Garmin gives a loud "BONG" warning when you exceed the speed limit in its map database, so doubly handy. (y)
But in France anything that warns the driver of speed cameras ,speeding etc is illegal. so the boing shouldn't be on.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I agree the X290 Speedo is a nightmare, even after the update.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

There's big fines if your Satnav warns of speed cameras.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
This is what the new in town & villages speed camera's look like , so beware as and when we get back over .
1617298273136.png

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
But in France anything that warns the driver of speed cameras ,speeding etc is illegal. so the boing shouldn't be on.
my avtex sat nav doesn’t warn about cameras , it warns about dangerous segments of road SO they sneaked round that law 👍

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Even then you will still find an artic up your chuff at anything less than an actual 90km/h
Don't think that defence would work in court, besides which a lorry or any other vehicle up my chuff trying to intimidate me, simply makes me go slower, a lot slower.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Gus. The bong mentioned earlier, was not a speed camera warning, which as you say is illegal in many countries, but a warning to the driver he is exceeding the speed limit which comes from the sat nav and a HUD unit.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I did a speed awareness course once, never has 4 hours lasted so long.
Low 30's, car rolling down a very steep hill out of town taking My Son to the train station.
No schools any where near.
Mobile camera van sits at the bottom of the hill.
Click = ££'s

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
my avtex sat nav doesn’t warn about cameras , it warns about dangerous segments of road SO they sneaked round that law 👍
As you say, that's the legally acceptable alternative warning available on satnavs.

My first Garmin Nuvi satnav did have French speed camera POIs installed, deleted by me when they changed their law. The French government website had a map showing all their fixed speed camera locations, but that's gone. I used that info to mark up my paper maps before I bought the excellent Garmin Nuvi, now 13 years old and kept as a back-up.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I use Waze a lot, it tells you your actual speed, where the speed cameras are and if any Gendarmes are about. And with just a push of a button you can let Waze know of any problems along the way i.e. Police, Accidents, Traffic Jams, Hazards, Roadworks etc.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Don't think that defence would work in court, besides which a lorry or any other vehicle up my chuff trying to intimidate me, simply makes me go slower, a lot slower.
I don't either, I'm not suggesting it as a defense just describing recent experience. I actually saw road rage last year( not involving me) which rural France never had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back