French Lyme disease warning (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Don't understand the following statement as Scotland has been a high risk area for many a year.

Experts on Monday warned that growing numbers of disease-carrying ticks were "moving North" to Britain and as far as Scotland due to warmer and wetter conditions linked to climate change

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I pulled two of the little sods out of my leg on the way back from a wild camping trip to Scotland the other week. As I understand it, the danger sign to look out for is a rash with concentric red circles around the bite point. Only a small percentage of ticks carry Lymes - the best protection is to cover up your lower half when walking through foliage in areas where they live. I suspect I picked up mine due to the primitive toilet arrangements (ie sneaking off into the bracken to dig a hole), as both were high up on my leg. I used a tick extractor to get one of them out - they're quite small.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't understand the following statement as Scotland has been a high risk area for many a year.

Experts on Monday warned that growing numbers of disease-carrying ticks were "moving North" to Britain and as far as Scotland due to warmer and wetter conditions linked to climate change
Perhaps for ticks, but for Lyme disease??

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I was sure I got Lyme Disease while in SW Scotland a few months ago, and the doctor I saw thought it was too. But apart from the characteristic ring on my leg, I fortunately had no other symptoms, and the blood tests were negative. Antibiotics cleared up my leg.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Rose Geranium oil will deter ticks. It must be Rose Geranium oil ( not Rose, not Geranium)
Dilute in carrier oil or with small amount of water. Works on humans and dogs. Do not use on cats.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin contracted his Lyme disease from an infected tick in the New Forest around 1995. He was only diagnosed cos a friend of ours had Lyme disease from an infected tick in Scotland. Sharing symptoms made him go to ask for a test. He'd had it for 18 months!!! He remembered removing it and seeing the red rash but it wasn't much known about then.

The ticks appear everywhere no matter how careful you are. We had one walking across the toilet lid in the van last week!!!

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
New Forest has a high degree of Lyme's disease, lots of different ticks here, dogs can catch it too. Best to have a repellent collar for dogs and a close friend to check human;)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I believe that alcohol soaked in a rag and pressed gently on the tick will force it to extract and fall off ,long trousers and gators for walking in Scotland

Deleted User
I was sure I got Lyme Disease while in SW Scotland a few months ago, and the doctor I saw thought it was too. But apart from the characteristic ring on my leg, I fortunately had no other symptoms, and the blood tests were negative. Antibiotics cleared up my leg.
A friend of mine had the same and fortunately did not get Lymes disease. Blood tests can give a false negative in the early stages of infection and it can be a while before you get the all clear.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What are the symptoms on human`s and what effect does it have..?

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Ring on you
Ring on your leg sounds like ringworm, which I got from cats and brought back from Greece. Doctor was useless so I went to the vet!!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Blood tests can give a false negative in the early stages of infection and it can be a while before you get the all clear.
Yes, that's what the doctor told me too. She said I might still develop symptoms later.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What are the symptoms on human`s and what effect does it have..?

The ring is the first symptom and then it disappears. Martin's was treated as a fungal infection. His symptoms were then a gradual breaking down of muscles and joint pains. He was tested for MS and MD. He then had pneumonia and a type of meningitis. Treated for flu!!!

Some people have problems with their heart or brain depending on how the disease manifests itself. Lack of energy or flu like symptoms are also an early sign.

Martin was diagnosed by a fluke because our friend Rob was diagnosed before him and Martin asked for the test.

The Consultant at the Infectious Disease Clinic at a hospital in Sheffield rang him personally when his results were read. It was his first case!!!

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
I pulled two of the little sods out of my leg on the way back from a wild camping trip to Scotland the other week. As I understand it, the danger sign to look out for is a rash with concentric red circles around the bite point. Only a small percentage of ticks carry Lymes - the best protection is to cover up your lower half when walking through foliage in areas where they live. I suspect I picked up mine due to the primitive toilet arrangements (ie sneaking off into the bracken to dig a hole), as both were high up on my leg. I used a tick extractor to get one of them out - they're quite small.
So do they stay attached once they've bite you and what do they look like sounds awful.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So do they stay attached once they've bite you and what do they look like sounds awful.

They do stay attached but I've never seen one swollen up on a human like on animals, probably because we find them quickly. Sometimes they are so small they're not much bigger than a speck of dust. Martin removed one from his leg an hour ago, either from Poland or more likely from last weekend here in Sweden. The one walking on our loo lid was Polish!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

They can be quite tiny, ant-sized or even less. I didn't know it was there until I saw the bite like lump on my leg. If you investigate the lump you can detect an extra dark bit sticking out of it, a bit like a splinter - that's the tick. There are special tick removal grips you can get which get under its body and allow you to 'unscrew' it and pluck it from your flesh. :eek:

You might see a rash or reddening around the bite as a matter of course, but the one to look out for is the concentric red rings like a target.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The ring is the first symptom and then it disappears. Martin's was treated as a fungal infection. His symptoms were then a gradual breaking down of muscles and joint pains. He was tested for MS and MD. He then had pneumonia and a type of meningitis. Treated for flu!!!

Some people have problems with their heart or brain depending on how the disease manifests itself. Lack of energy or flu like symptoms are also an early sign.

Martin was diagnosed by a fluke because our friend Rob was diagnosed before him and Martin asked for the test.

The Consultant at the Infectious Disease Clinic at a hospital in Sheffield rang him personally when his results were read. It was his first case!!!

Some people who go on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome say that they initially had Lyme disease. Any tick bite has to be taken seriously and watch for symptoms.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Its worth having a tick removal tool perhaps, only a pound or two on ebay. Makes it much easier to remove them intact. Ordinary tweezers crush them and potentially squeeze the infected stuff into you or your pet. If you are in a Lyme disease area stick tick on a bit of cellotape and fold it over to trap it. Also means it can't get someone else. Then if you do get the red ring and don't get to the doctor before it fades you do have a bit more evidence of what happened. Also take a photo on your phone.Most of us don't want antibiotics if we don't need them so this just helps clarify things, I will now remove my ex GP hat!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Blue, one of our whippets is still very poorly after our trip to Italy last month. At first we thought it was tick related but 3 lots of blood tests have proven negative for parasite illnesses. I left him at the vets this morning for another blood test and they are doing an ultrasound to check for internal bleeding as he's anaemic. He's lost quite a bit of weight and is lethargic and off his food. Hope they can get him diagnosed soon.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Blue, one of our whippets is still very poorly after our trip to Italy last month. At first we thought it was tick related but 3 lots of blood tests have proven negative for parasite illnesses. I left him at the vets this morning for another blood test and they are doing an ultrasound to check for internal bleeding as he's anaemic. He's lost quite a bit of weight and is lethargic and off his food. Hope they can get him diagnosed soon.

Sorry no button to press for this. Hope the vets find the problem and Blue makes a good recovery.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

Similar symptoms to one of my Jack Russell's, turned out he had pancreatitis and was kept in for 4 days on a drip..
He is back to normal now luckily, hope yours recovers soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back