French lorry drivers strike in December (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We’re driving north from Spain up the west of France. Filled up Donostia-San Sebastian just before crossing the border at Irun yesterday, so 120 litres in the tank. Tried to top up at a filling station just off the N10 south of Angouleme, but they were only allowing folk 30€ worth @ 1.41€ per litre. Should have enough to reach Kent though, so not too worried about fuel now.
The motorway service stations we passed appeared to have fuel, but were charging around 1.50€ per litre.
Crossing Saturday morning; now the worry is we suspect Eurotunnel may be affected....

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We left Zeebrugge this morning and topped up on route to Abbeville at a Carrefour. Other fuel available. Now north of Rouen. Plenty of rain and it's free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We’re driving north from Spain up the west of France. Filled up Donostia-San Sebastian just before crossing the border at Irun yesterday, so 120 litres in the tank. Tried to top up at a filling station just off the N10 south of Angouleme, but they were only allowing folk 30€ worth @ 1.41€ per litre. Should have enough to reach Kent though, so not too worried about fuel now.
The motorway service stations we passed appeared to have fuel, but were charging around 1.50€ per litre.
Crossing Saturday morning; now the worry is we suspect Eurotunnel may be affected....
Out of interest, Eurotunnel operating normally this morning when I came through

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Its cheap at any price if your getting low..Tight pal of mine ran out of fuel once rather than pay motorway prices..Cost him much more in the long run..BUSBY.
Yes, and don’t they know it; one m/way service station we drove past was selling diesel @1.70. Funnily enough, no queues there!!

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Left Watten this heading in the direction of of Lyon ,police would not allow us to proceed to motorway , diverted in direction of St Omer then had to pass union picket . After that had a clear run ,no sign of any problems at any garage we passed

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just checked on Eurotunnel site.
Maximum size - 10 litres - max quantity 3 off
Maximum size - 20 litres - max quantity 1 off.
No more than 30 litres in total.
Don't tell, they don't ask, gas off OK then. diesel makes a mess not danger. I usually carry 20 litre gerry can full, enough for a 100 miles. I will take two next time I go over. 200 miles gets passed a lot of troubles. Also carrying my yellow waistcoats in the front so they can be seen by any belligerent 'gilets.'

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Don't tell, they don't ask, gas off OK then. diesel makes a mess not danger. I usually carry 20 litre gerry can full, enough for a 100 miles. I will take two next time I go over. 200 miles gets passed a lot of troubles. Also carrying my yellow waistcoats in the front so they can be seen by any belligerent 'gilets.'
Found myself with some spare time this morning!
See page 5; the law allows up to 60 litres of diesel in cans. What the ferries/tunnel allow is down to them...

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Found myself with some spare time this morning!
See page 5; the law allows up to 60 litres of diesel in cans. What the ferries/tunnel allow is down to them...

And it just so happens that I’ve been carrying 60 litres of diesel through France. ?

Ian

Deleted User
Just arrived at Teruel after leaving Zeebrugge on Friday. No problems with fuel and choices where to fill up. Looks like yet another fuel shortage hype.
Just paid 96p per litre here.
If you read the thread you would have seen the shortage was in the North West of France, your route didn't even start in France, Zeebrugge is in Belgium, so no you wont have seen any problem. I've never seen Easter Island, but I'm pretty sure its there

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If you read the thread you would have seen the shortage was in the North West of France, your route didn't even start in France, Zeebrugge is in Belgium, so no you wont have seen any problem. I've never seen Easter Island, but I'm pretty sure its there
True but I've travelled from Calais after Zeebrugge

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Why would you ask? Back in work days when there were fuel shortages I'd carry a 50 gall drum & fill van from it.:xlaugh:

Yes but I can see why the question as there might be a restriction on what you can carry outside the fuel tank.

Has anyone ever checked ?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Yes but I can see why the question as there might be a restriction on what you can carry outside the fuel tank.

Has anyone ever checked ?

Just seen this on the Brittany Ferry status page:

France fuel protest

As a result of blockades at refineries, there are fuel shortages and rationing at some service stations. As a precaution, we are advising customers to depart with enough fuel to reach their destination in France. However, please note that the carriage of petrol/diesel cans on board our ferries is limited to 5 litres per vehicle.

Not a lot, eh?:unsure:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No problems filling up anywhere we have been in Eastern France. No queues either.
Just filled up again with Diesel (€75) and GPL in Verdun.

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Just arrived at Teruel after leaving Zeebrugge on Friday. No problems with fuel and choices where to fill up. Looks like yet another fuel shortage hype.
Just paid 96p per litre here.
Spain is a darned sight cheaper than France, UK & Germany for diesel!! That’s why we filled up there before leaving!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No issues with fuel in France that we've seen in the last couple of days, not a saucisson, so whether it was all blown out of proportion or scaremongering I don't know.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No issues with fuel in France that we've seen in the last couple of days, not a saucisson, so whether it was all blown out of proportion or scaremongering I don't know.

Did you stow the fuel can(s) in the end then?

I‘ve just emptied 10 litres out of my stash to get us across the French/Spanish border to the cheaper Spanish fuel. :xThumb:

Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you stow the fuel can(s) in the end then?
In the garage we brought a 5L and a 10L can (well 9.5L as hubby chickened out when filling it!) but haven't used any yet as we've topped up en route ranging from €1.419 to €1.424. We are about 15km South of Millau at La Cavalerie now so might not need it, but if we do then we will use it and fill the cans with cheap Spanish fuel before we return home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back