French garage refused us GPL Why? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Why won't some French garage fill LPG? We've had it few times the last 3 weeks. Clearly we're not migrants or hooligans with our Hymer. What is the problem? They seemed scared!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Never ever had a problem filling up with lpg in France what system do you have .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They can refuse if they suspect or know it is for 'cooking' and and not propulsion..

If your filler is inside the gas locker it's a dead giveaway..

I was refused at one outlet in France when they saw me lifting the locker door to fill the LPG tank on my RV..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's puzzling as it might be due to different taxation rates but my quick reading suggests gas for transportation/propulsion is more highly taxed than gas for domestic use. If it was the other way around I would understand the refusal.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with @scotjimland. I've always understood that if your filler valve isn't a fixed part of the outer wall of the vehicle you can be refused LPG, not just on safety grounds but for taxation purposes, as technically it's vehicle fuel rather than a domestic fuel.

Maybe go to supermarkets instead?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This question was raised in 2011 .. and a member posted the question on the CampingcarInfos forum..

the Fun thread ..http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/filling-lpg-gpl-onboard-tank.32422/page-2

and the post on Cmapingcar infos Link Removed

the reply translated by Google

The regulations for liquefied petroleum gas for recreational vehicles now allows the use of a single service pressure equal to 30 mbar.
LPG (butane and propane mixture) must be contained in a conventional LPG tank (cylindrical, or vertical as HOMEGAZ). the HOMEGAZ systems can be installed in the gas box, under the chassis or in the passenger compartment with a waterproof case (optional). the HOMEGAZ systems must be attached to the vehicle by metal straps, hooks or legs making them irremovable (European Regulation R 67 01). Filling HOMEGAZ is via an external port attached to the vehicle body. The installation must be done by a professional. The operating pressure of LPG (butane, propane or LPG) for different devices is 30 mbar (DO 1949).

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
What's the problem with it not being for propulsion? Is there a law against? I don't get it.
The reason we have been refused (ie that they have seen) is we have needed to ask for help as it keeps splurting out the outside of the valve. We haven't quite got it sussed yet (newbies)
Any idea by the way why that is happening ? When we attach it it seems good and solid.
It spurted out once when it was full and once it spirt out at the start and we had to stop and go for help. We wear heavy gloves as advised on here. I don't know why it's so hard. Any advice appreciated.
Zepp ~ We have LPG cylinders next to each other behind locker door - single valve leading to two bottles.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Scotlandjim
Our cylinders comply with that all the way!
How would supermarkets be any different?
We're going to have to sort this out as we are full timing.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the thread
It was 2011 though and most people were saying they had no problem. What does it cost to have the system adapted to filling from an outside socket - has anyone done this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Scotlandjim
Our cylinders comply with that all the way!
How would supermarkets be any different?
We're going to have to sort this out as we are full timing.

Re spurting gas..
this is probably why they refused to let you continue or try to fill.. t's impossible to say why this is happening without inspecting..

a visit to a motorhome dealer to have a look over may be the best bet..

it is possible the French filling gun was faulty or worn.. once you have used up some gas try filling at another station..

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
On 3G but Google "French lpg adapter" which shows you how to fit and use.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for the thread
It was 2011 though and most people were saying they had no problem. What does it cost to have the system adapted to filling from an outside socket - has anyone done this?

ah.. new information.. yes.. have the filling point fitted outside the locker.. any decent dealer will be able to do.. Not knowing about labour costs in France can't estimate the cost.. but allow an hours labour..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What's the problem with it not being for propulsion? Is there a law against? I don't get it.
The reason we have been refused (ie that they have seen) is we have needed to ask for help as it keeps splurting out the outside of the valve. We haven't quite got it sussed yet (newbies)
Any idea by the way why that is happening ? When we attach it it seems good and solid.
It spurted out once when it was full and once it spirt out at the start and we had to stop and go for help. We wear heavy gloves as advised on here. I don't know why it's so hard. Any advice appreciated.
Zepp ~ We have LPG cylinders next to each other behind locker door - single valve leading to two bottles.
If you are using a screw on adaptor make sure it isn't being loosened as you attach the filler. This can happen if the gun is at say the 8 o'clock position as gravity can pull it down to 6 o'clock unscrewing the adaptor a bit. I attach the filler so it is at the 4 or 5 o'clock position and gravity then keeps it tight.

And the filling port must comply with this (from above translation)

Filling HOMEGAZ is via an external port attached to the vehicle body.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Make sure both your bottles are turned off also check the seal on your french adaptor is not split or missing also make sure its a nice snug fit before you lock it on.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for both pieces of advice
Scotjimland do you mean any Hymer dealer or any car mechanic can do it? We are in the Dordogne right now

Deleted User
Do your cylinders have an 80% auto shut off? (Spurting when full?)

Are you attaching filler hose directly to cylinders? (Big no no in France, we have been checked several times, to ensure "you are not filling bottles")

Apparently they have an incident a cpl of years ago and all filling stations were advised that people were filling inappropriate bottles. Understandably they now check and if your gas is "spurting" then you're going to get a "non"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
No we are not attaching to cylinders but a central filler.
People have refused us when we asked for help and they came and saw the cylinders
They didn't witness the splurting

Deleted User
No we are not attaching to cylinders but a central filler.
People have refused us when we asked for help and they came and saw the cylinders
They didn't witness the splurting

It's the cylinder "sighting" that makes them nervous, the attendants aren't going to recognise an "approved system" so are going to play it safe and refuse.

External filler is the way to go (or don't ask for help!!)

Make sure you are screwing the adapter on properly (hand tight) and that your adapter has a decent o ring in place.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Husband is concerned if we do it in France it could lead to 'unforeseen complications'
what do you think? He is also not sure about if they'd do a good job (basically we have no idea)
Not sure what he means - doesn't trust the French to do it properly?
Maybe the garage may want to overhaul the whole system?
Trouble is Becks dealers our local people from Norwich aren't very cooperative as we didn't buy from them and last time I asked for work to be done they quoted me a 5 week wait! Not sure where else we could go in England but will look at Jims map.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
don't fret.. there is some good advice on the thread about filling ..

France dealers are every bit as good a the UK.. if you are not fluent in French the biggest problem is communication .. lots of hand gestures needed.. :LOL:

we have a French member called Frankie @yodeli , I believe she lives in Toulouse .. she may be able to help with finding a garage and explaining what you need done..

She should see the thread but if not try a PM and ask if you can call her to explain your problem.. she is normally very helpful ..

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suggest you go to a motorhome dealer who knows about refillable systems as any other places, either a garage or dealer, are likely to refuse to touch your system as they won't have installed the rest of it. I can't remember what MH or system you have but if there is a suitable place on the side of your MH to place the filler that would be the best bet to avoid some of the 'non' replies you're getting. We've only ever had 1 refusal in all the years we've been doing it and have always had internal fillers but we do know how to do it safely and get on with it without assistance, although often the smaller garages have been more than willing to do it for us - one thing that is important is that you don't come across as someone who doesn't have a clue as that will not inspire confidence in the garage attendant when you want to fill it!

If you're on a campsite and see another MH with a system (look for the filler in the side of their vehicle) see if you can have a chat to them about it, even if you don't speak the same language it's amazing how well you can communicate with hand gestures!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you
Good advice!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@Jac Sprat Please PM me if you need help ( by clicking on my avatar, then "start a conversation"). You can tell me what's your problem in English and I can be your translator. Unfortunatly this afternoon I won't be home. Will let you know on here when I'm back.
You've got to be aware that by law , not all the dealers can do gas stuff.
Same thing for Garages.
Mainly Narbonne accessoire is the one to ask to as they have certification to do gas things, and reliable people to do this kind of job. Their insurance covers their work.
In France it's a bit like Cafés and Bars. Some have a Licence IV and can sell alcohol, and some don't. They can just serve alcohol free drinks.
My dealer doesn't do gas, but they know who does to help their customers!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Frankie.. I knew you would be able and willing help.. :)

and that was the dealer I suggested .. thanks for confirming (y)

Mainly Narbonne accessoire is the one to ask to as they have certification to do gas things, and reliable people to do this kind of job. Their insurance covers their work.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I was refused GPL twice in Sicily. IN SICILY!!! - the most anarchic rule-trashing place in Europe! And that by two 'attendants who had lit fags in their mouths while a few feet from the pumps....
I do have an underslung tank and a proper external filling point, BTW. This is a worry for the future...

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Jac, if you are in the north of the Dordogne and need help locally I could help. I am not fluent in French, but can deal with most day-to-day things. Do remember that most of the likely places will be closed on Sunday and Monday.

There is one place in Périgueux which I am aware of where refillable systems are sold - Pautard Loisirs who are Top Accessoires agents. The Narbonnes Accessoires agents nearby are at Montanceix, just to the east of the payage section of the A89. Limoges has two dealerships, but I wouldn't recommend one of them. The other is Caravanning Limousin and, as part of the Narbonnes distributorship, they sell refillable bottles. I have a Narbonnes catalogue, but am not able to see the detail of the inlet connection, but I am fairly sure it will be to suit the French pump "claw"

Narbonnes sell Borel Homegaz bottles and Top sell Gaslow.

PM me for my phone numbers if you need "on site" help and I will try to do so.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks you yofel1
I think the narbonne one is closest (we are in Surlat)
We thought we'd email them first
Does this sound ok? Google translated!!
Monsieur,
Je voudrais déplacer la vanne d'entrée de gaz dans le casier à une position extérieure sur mon Camping Car.

Il a été un problème pour obtenir GPL aux stations-service en raison de la position de la charge.

Pouvez-vous faire un changement pour moi et me donner une estimation du coût? Je voudrais qu'il repositionnée sur le côté gauche de l'armoire de gaz - soit sur la jupe ou sous le siège à l'intérieur. S'il vous plaît suggérer la meilleure position.

Je vous remercie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back