French fines will now follow you home (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Following the imposition of slower journeys in France comes the news that the 'one-way' rule prevents British police from being able to pursue European motorists captured exceeding the limit by cameras in the UK while we can be fined for doing so in France, even after we get home.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some may have missed it first time round :p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you don't speed you won't get into trouble.....but it is typical of the eurocraps pulling this kind of one-way stunt.

That's a little unfair actually. They haven't pulled anything.

It's the way UK law works that causes the issue. There's some detail in the article in my first post, probably loads more available if anyone wants to look.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Irrelevant as there is no mechanism in English courts by which a foreign authority could force payment of any such "Fine" for an alleged traffic offence committed outside of Britain.
Any such letter of notification is nothing more than a request for payment.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It is , and we try not to, but in France 20 is ok 21 is a fine . No leaway at all.

I can only go on my own unfortunate experience earlier this year but I believe there is some leeway. I was done for exceeding a 90kph limit and IIRC, I was clocked at 96kph. I seem to recall the fine notification (which followed me home to Spain) saying that up to 100kph the margin of error was 5kph. So, 96 minus 5 got me down to 91kph.

It's fair to say that I was only 1kph over the actual limit after the adjustment and that was enough to cost me 40 euros or thereabouts, but not quite as draconian as you suggest. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Irrelevant as there is no mechanism in English courts by which a foreign authority could force payment of any such "Fine" for an alleged traffic offence committed outside of Britain.
If you elect to ignore their 'invoice' the problem might be amplified next time you land in France and their NPR cameras pick your van out.

Richard.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I got flashed twice on the last trip and I was only doing 60 65 at the time on the autoroute, What is out limit as I thought it was the same as cars but there is no way I would do 180kph.
I think I may have triggered lorry speed camers. I did notice that some Spanish trucks seem to be able to do a LOT more that 56mph as I could catch some up. I thought they were all governed.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I got flashed twice on the last trip and I was only doing 60 65 at the time on the autoroute, What is out limit as I thought it was the same as cars but there is no way I would do 180kph.
I think I may have triggered lorry speed camers. I did notice that some Spanish trucks seem to be able to do a LOT more that 56mph as I could catch some up. I thought they were all governed.
They are limited to 56mph but as the limiters are not linked to the brakes they will overrun downhills.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They are limited to 56mph but as the limiters are not linked to the brakes they will overrun downhills.
Correct plus a wagons speed is more accurate than other vehicles. I frequently look at my speed in the wagon and match it to my sat nav and at top speed, I'm doing 56mph. However, in the Moho, my speedometer may look like I'm doing near 60 mph but sat nav says around 52/53 mph.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

What happens now is that the foreign authorities can pass the matter over to UK authorities who can and will force payment. That's the whole point of the change in the law

Did you perhaps miss the bit about the law change?

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Just read thus. It also reads as if you can get points on uk licence for speeding in EU countries . Is this correct?

According to a police officer I talked to as from June 2017 other EU countries can access the DVLA to get vehicle information so the fine can follow you home. Only the UK courts can put points on a UK licence.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
It used to be the case that the finecould follow you home if speeding etc in a car hired in Europe, but no points could be allocated. It was basically an invoice from the hire company. One of my work colleagues had a couple in Germany. Has it now changed so you get points on your UK licence for speeding in Europe as well as the fine?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Mrsambulancekidd

Found a bit more info on foreign drivers here. It's not anything like as straightforward as we can be chased for offences abroad but foreign drivers can't be chased for offences here.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
But what about me was I speeding? not a lorry but a bit of a grey area, car or lrry? They do not know the weight but the size is measureable by sensor.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It appears that some of the french cameras are set up for lorries. There is a quite cynically sited one on a downhill stretch of a28 just after the St Valery turn that flashes me every single time but havent heard anything yet ( and I ve been through it since the law changed last year).

Btw AFAIK any mh over 3.5 tonnes is 110kph (68mph) on a motorway in France.

Jon

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
There is no points on your licence. The fine is addressed to the registered owner of the vehicle. I don’t know how the reg owner is going to be chased for payment I cannot see the matter being heard in a magistrates or County court for non payment in the UK. Yes your registration number maybe on a list so when you next head into the Country of issue you could be stopped. If that is the case if the vehicle has now a new registered owner they still cannot collect the fine ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you elect to ignore their 'invoice' the problem might be amplified next time you land in France and their NPR cameras pick your van out.

Richard.

But unless they've got a photo of the driver, who are they going to harass.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
As said old news but I read the French will persist if the fine is not paid and you can be imprisoned . The speeding fine is against the registered owner of the vehicle not the driver .

My understanding is we have a fine recovery department here to recover fines abroad under the cross border agreement .

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder whether the French or any other police will ask DVLA for the vehicle max. weight, t establish what speed you sould have been doing, and if so whether they will think of asking for Revenue Weight - which in our case is the only weight the DVLA have at least according to the V5C. A lot of foreign police may not be aware how lax the DVLA system is;)

Geoff

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
What happens now is that the foreign authorities can pass the matter over to UK authorities who can and will force payment. That's the whole point of the change in the law

Did you perhaps miss the bit about the law change?

No. Read the actual Directive.
It is informative exchange only.
UK authorities have no powers under that to enforce minor traffic offence penalties imposed under foreign law in foreign countries.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
But what about me was I speeding? not a lorry but a bit of a grey area, car or lrry? They do not know the weight but the size is measureable by sensor.

I am flashed frequently just outside Saintes in my MH 2.8m high by a lorry camera that thinks I am exceeding the lorry limit of 80kph when I pass at 85-90kph. There is never any contact, when they reveiw the photos they see it is a MH and not a lorry. However, if you are 3.5T+ and display the obligatory 80/90/110 markers on the back of your MH, (fines are available if you choose not to) then yuou will probably receive the penalty also. Speeding in France on an English licence means you win a little prize, or a fine if you prefer. No points are collected as there is no facility for this, or at least that what the Gendarmes told me for my latter of two fines in the last ten years here in France. Will the fines follow you back to Blighty with a UK reg, no idea but again the last time I had a natter with a Gendarme (last summer) again he told me not. One thing is for sure, we are many, and someone amongst us will soon make a whoopsy here in France and then they can share their experience.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
The thing is has anybody received a fine since the new directive has come into force, I've just driven from Spain to Calais in 2days using non toll roads and it is unbelievably difficult to keep to the 80kph speed limits when all the lorries are exceeding them

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Mrsambulancekidd

Found a bit more info on foreign drivers here. It's not anything like as straightforward as we can be chased for offences abroad but foreign drivers can't be chased for offences here.
Why should it be ? The UK should just send the fine to the registered keeper same as everyone else does.

Btw AFAIK any mh over 3.5 tonnes is 110kph (68mph) on a motorway in France.

Jon
& I'm assuming you knew already only 100kph in Spain:) for ANY weight motor home.

There is no points on your licence. The fine is addressed to the registered owner of the vehicle. I don’t know how the reg owner is going to be chased for payment I cannot see the matter being heard in a magistrates or County court for non payment in the UK. Yes your registration number maybe on a list so when you next head into the Country of issue you could be stopped. If that is the case if the vehicle has now a new registered owner they still cannot collect the fine ?
The registered keeper is liable.
If like here then the new owner will be liable for the outstanding fine/fines. Don't pay then vehicle is seized.
When buying here first thing you check is no outstanding fines/embargo's etc; on the vehicle.

But unless they've got a photo of the driver, who are they going to harass.

The registered keeper. Who was driving is of no interest. Registered keeper is liable.
Same as here with a photo. Fine goes to who owns the vehicle. Like pass the parcel ,If I flog you the car & you don't check then the fines are now yours:LOL:(y)

The only thing I don't like about it all is the fact that they have 12 months to send out the 'fine'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back