French dual carriageway speed limits. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
....... especially when you want to concentrate on the traffic in the oncoming lanes in case you see another motorhome and need to wave.
No, more when you have a bunch of "cyclists" using the road 2 or more abreast, despite there being a dedicated cycle lane!.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I haven’t personally tried any of the tips from the experts, as my van speed never creeps up without me knowing, but apparently It’s not less fuel efficient, the load on the engine is reduced by being in the correct (lower) gear and the engine/fuel management only delivers the amount of fuel required.

That said, it doesn’t tally with your ‘real world findings’ which I accept fully.
The story of life!. In many aspects of life the "Expert theory" falls apart in the real world. Most of the time the "experts" are just second guessing!.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Trucks are limited to 56 mph,Limiters on trucks are checked on a regular basis.Ok the odd one may be (fiddled) but the majority are spot on.Your Speedo in the motorhome will not be accurate.BUSBY.

I was in the car, the mistake I made was that I was using the Twitnav speed data ie running at 96 kph (twitnav) which would have been probably closer to 100 kph speedo, I know, my fault, and believe me, 'er indoors has not missed the chance to remind me .... frequently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Has happened to me many times. on a road that I could do 110kmph on, I was doing 95kmph when I was flashed.
I've never had a speeding ticket, so i don't think its anything to worry about.
I think it's usually the cameras on tall posts designed to catch HGVs that mistake our profile for one.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Well I got flashed at least 4 times yesterday, all of them on dual carriageway/motorway in the middle of nowhere where I was travelling within my permitted speed 100 or 110kph but faster than a limited lorry

Was qoting this for my post above, but something screwy happened and it disappeared.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Was qoting this for my post above, but something screwy happened and it disappeared.

Thanks I'm trying to make the point ( possibly not very clearly) that there isnt much risk in a HGV exceeding 56kph on a straight bit of motorway in the middle of nowhere.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Thanks I'm trying to make the point ( possibly not very clearly) that there isnt much risk in a HGV exceeding 56kph on a straight bit of motorway in the middle of nowhere.

Ok, point taken, but I'm sure HGVs will exceed 56 kph, more likely to be doing 90kph. :D2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Current training is to use 2nd gear in a 20mph limit, 3rd in 30, 4th in 40 etc and the tendency for speed to creep up is pretty much eliminated on many cars.
Leaving aside the remote possibility that the fuel consumption doesn't increase the emissions certainly do so it is all just governmental smoke & mirrors just designed to fleece more revenue from those in the middle paying for it all.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Has happened to me many times. on a road that I could do 110kmph on, I was doing 95kmph when I was flashed.
I think it's usually the cameras on tall posts designed to catch HGVs that mistake our profile for one.

Try waving at the camera - it'll realise you're a motorhome.... ;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ok. So slow the traffic down?, 1) The fuel efficiency is going to be affected more than likely, all I C engines have an optimum. 2) Even if the emissions are the same, and they are unlikely to be less due to the lower efficiency, Then the vehicle will take longer to cover a set distance, which ergo means that the engine is running for longer and the net result is more pollutants?. However IF the posted speeds did allow, then the vehicle can be operated at optimum, pollution and traffic congestion are (theoretically) reduced due to shorter journey times.

In my View, Accidents are rarely as a direct result of pure speed, Bad driving practices, poor perception, and failure of anticipation (and Alcohol/Drugs) are main causes. As percentage of those taking part, the attrition rate of the likes of (say) F1 drivers is extremely low, the same on the rally circuit, NASCAR etc;. Speed per se is only contributory to the extent of any damage/injury. Some people are not safe at 5mph.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thought the new cameras on the tall posts were the cameras for picking up illegal driver behaviour,,ie on the phone,no seat belt,undertaking a
and speeding etc.BUSBY.
Ok. So slow the traffic down?, 1) The fuel efficiency is going to be affected more than likely, all I C engines have an optimum. 2) Even if the emissions are the same, and they are unlikely to be less due to the lower efficiency, Then the vehicle will take longer to cover a set distance, which ergo means that the engine is running for longer and the net result is more pollutants?. However IF the posted speeds did allow, then the vehicle can be operated at optimum, pollution and traffic congestion are (theoretically) reduced due to shorter journey times.

In my View, Accidents are rarely as a direct result of pure speed, Bad driving practices, poor perception, and failure of anticipation (and Alcohol/Drugs) are main causes. As percentage of those taking part, the attrition rate of the likes of (say) F1 drivers is extremely low, the same on the rally circuit, NASCAR etc;. Speed per se is only contributory to the extent of any damage/injury. Some people are not safe at 5mph.
F1 and Rally Cars etc don't have traffic coming from the opposite direction,,joining them on islands,pedestrians,animals,sign posts or other distractions.Plus of course like truckers and coach and bus drivers are profesional drivers..Someone driving as an occupation is always less likely to be involved in accidents.Speed may not be a factor but an accident at 30 mph won't have the same impact as one at 70mph. Also don't forget that every motorist is in their opinion,,the best.BUSBY.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Which roads?

Not sure of which roads but they were but not peage , between La Rochelle and Calais , so were / motorway toll free / Dual carriageway/ D roads , the signs were red outer circle with red truck on left & black car on right I think , sometimes with time restraints

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure of which roads but they were but not peage , between La Rochelle and Calais , so were / motorway toll free / Dual carriageway/ D roads , the signs were red outer circle with red truck on left & black car on right I think , sometimes with time restraints
If it showed a truck then they are banned from overtaking, but not motorhomes. The OP was referring to certain sections of the N10, and the signs on those make it clear that all vehicles over 3.5t cannot overtake or exceed 80kph.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I think we did use the N10 , picture is from my trip so probably used it , I do remember coming out a larger town and all the very slow & congested traffic was on the right , it was a down hill & rising up the other side , I thought all the traffic which inc cars was going right so I used the empty left

63334B63-23E6-4232-8E11-89C12A6363B4.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back