Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Just come back from Cleveleys, I came back along the South Prom where the Motorhomes park up for a few days, quite a few there today including 4 from France all Pilotes so may have been hired, I wonder how they find the UK to back home with all the well placed Aires, we know how good they are. Pete :thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
After sampling The French Aires system..I've never quite understood the English mentality for not providing for tourists..whether they be English tourists in another part of the UK..or foreign tourists visiting these shores...The coastal resorts are always bemoaning that no one is visiting..the big attractions places like Alton Towers and the like would surely benefit from an aires type thing on their property to get the punters in...God knows it's expensive enough to go in there...

I still have a template of sorts to contact the local council of your area..about an aires type place...I actually sent one to Calderdale Council (my local council at the time) around three and a half years ago about the provision of one..but I never ever had a reply..SUCH IS THEIR ENTHUSIASM.....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
Just come back from Cleveleys, I came back along the South Prom where the Motorhomes park up for a few days, quite a few there today including 4 from France all Pilotes so may have been hired, I wonder how they find the UK to back home with all the well placed Aires, we know how good they are. Pete :thumb:

EXPENSIVE........is the word you are looking for PETER:Doh::cry::cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
After sampling The French Aires system..I've never quite understood the English mentality for not providing for tourists..whether they be English tourists in another part of the UK..or foreign tourists visiting these shores...The coastal resorts are always bemoaning that no one is visiting..the big attractions places like Alton Towers and the like would surely benefit from an aires type thing on their property to get the punters in...God knows it's expensive enough to go in there...

I still have a template of sorts to contact the local council of your area..about an aires type place...I actually sent one to Calderdale Council (my local council at the time) around three and a half years ago about the provision of one..but I never ever had a reply..SUCH IS THEIR ENTHUSIASM.....

MONDO...just emptying the S**T and the grey water is one big major problem in the UK that's without the over night parking :Doh::Doh::cry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Aires at Alton Towers etc, you're sure they'd profit? - how? - are they empty/losing money at the moment then?

moo963

Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just starting up
Off to UK

We live in France and are just about to tackle a 3 week tour in England and Wales. We are used the the French and Italian aires and attitudes to campervans, so I will be interested in the Briitish experience. Thankfully we are staying a few nights in friends drives, but am already wondering about emptying waste and finding water. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We live in France and are just about to tackle a 3 week tour in England and Wales. We are used the the French and Italian aires and attitudes to campervans, so I will be interested in the Briitish experience. Thankfully we are staying a few nights in friends drives, but am already wondering about emptying waste and finding water. Wish me luck!

Hi good luck on your travels, a bit different over here but we are quite civilised now so they say, you will enjoy Devon a very nice County. Peter :thumb::thumb:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
I think most UK campsites will let you use their facilities - for a fee of course! Don't forget to try pub sites and certificated sites for overnight stops - plenty of them and cheaper. High season fees for staying on regular campsites are ridiculously expensive.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have booked to stay 4 nights on a CCsite (Chapel lane) near Birmingham while Tappers reupholster my van. For the same cost I could stay 4 nights in France including the ferry. Complete rip off and wouldn't do it except that Tappers use this site.:Angry:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
OH good - can you please ask them to come up to Leeds to discuss the curtains I want to order. Malcolm's on the phone but Richard does the visits. They made a lovely job of my upholstery. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OH good - can you please ask them to come up to Leeds to discuss the curtains I want to order. Malcolm's on the phone but Richard does the visits. They made a lovely job of my upholstery. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OK but only when they've finished mine, I don't want them all dasing up to Leeds and leaving mine half done :roflmto:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I suspect that the answer to this might be the travelling fraternity. Open an air and before the tarmac is dry it will be full of people in caravans who will take ages to move and when they do there will be old tyres, bits of metal, dead dogs, all kinds of rubbish left behind.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Aires cannot be that expensive to provide. They do so in tiny communities in France and often don't reap any benefit!
Saw a huge gathering of 'gens de voyage' in two locations in Calais last week. When they had gone (overnight) there was absolutely no mess left. It was as if they hadn't even been there.
Eastbourne waterfront, towards the downs is a popular overnighting stop for motorhomers. They don't seem to get moved on and it's free parking up there. If they would put in a few basic facilities it would attract many motorhomes and with them, business.
Can't see it happening, though:Sad:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
June123

I have booked to stay 4 nights on a CCsite (Chapel lane) near Birmingham while Tappers reupholster my van. For the same cost I could stay 4 nights in France including the ferry. Complete rip off and wouldn't do it except that Tappers use this site.:Angry:

CC sites are always expensive (partic if not a member). Have a surf through the net and find pubs and certificated sites - busiest time of the year though but you'll get in somewhere. Have fun - I'm sure you will.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back