French Autoroute Overnights (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I'm just getting back into having a motorhome.

Before, when travelling in France, if you pulled over into a Service Area there would usually be a large area where you could pull over in a van, caravan or tent and wildcamp for an hour or a night. There was no charge and you were never troubled.

Can anyone tell me if this isstill the case and is wild camping still generally permitted in rural France?

The Old Man

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Eddie I wonder if your huge RV is more of a deterent than a smaller MH even with alarms etc?!

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
The Aires are brilliant in France - some are free, some are not and they have different levels of services available. I have the books 'All the Aires' by Vicarious books. They're a bit mis-named though as they don't list ALL of the Aires but there are several online apps available to use too. I don't think you can stop overnight on the motorway Aires - you can stay for a short time though.

I found the Campercontact app on my phone brilliant. It cost £4.49 but was invaluable on our recent trip. I barely used my Aires book.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
With the ever growing number of motorhomes driving around these days, I feel it my duty to make sure that every single vanner realises that all motorway and main road-side "aires" are very, very, very, very dangerous.

By overnighting on one, not only do you run the almost inevitable risk of being broken into and robbed while you sleep but you also take up a space that I might want to use myself.

Best to steer clear of them...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My thanks to JJ for his comment, I will try not to take up your space while I'm being robbed. :)

A memory from safer days. Not mine, it's what I woke up to one morning!

aire_410.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have only used autoroutes when in the car but have always slept in the service areas. In the MH using just main roads I stop in villages or rest areas all the time.Only time I've ever had problems was in the UK with Itinerants in North Devon.:LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back