French Auto Toll Tags (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
EuroTunnel just sent me an offer to get a French auto toll tag, without paying an initial registration fee of 10E.

But there are still costs involved. 6E first year fee, 5E for each month in which it is used (capped to 10E per year) and 20E refundable tag cost. The other thing which is slightly worrying is that the tolls come automatically from your bank account, how difficult would it be to get a refund from them if they over charge you for being a motorhome ?

I can see some advantage in using the auto toll lane, but is there any discount on the road toll for doing so ? Tyne Tunnel is £1-44 each way with a tag as opposed to £1-60 each way for cash.

Anyone on here, who only visits France occasionally use these ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I looked into it a while ago but decided against it because officially they are only available to vehicles that meet the requirements of Class 1 or Class 2 which we don't. I decided that as long as we're getting away with Class 2 paying as we go along it would be better not to mess with things. As you say if it decided to charge you extra or over charge in some way you would struggle to get it back.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Cost is the same regardless of how you pay

If you use the tolls a lot it saves the queues, or if your travelling alone it is essential

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Wouldn't be without ours. I went over by myself a few weeks ago to see friends and I felt that the tag was misbehaving. When I got home I phoned up their support and instantly was offered a free swap for their latest tag together with really good advice.
All in all excellent customer service and I feel if there should be a query of any kind in the future then there would be no bother sorting it out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also got the offer but decided against as there is no financial benefit ... (n).. so no incentive, other than less faff at the toll both

unlike the Dartford crossing where opening an account saves money every time you cross (y)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Cost is the same regardless of how you pay

If you use the tolls a lot it saves the queues, or if your travelling alone it is essential

The cost isn't the same if using the tag - it works out a bit more. Pay at the time and it's the price quoted, pay using the tag and it's the extras that Geordies quoted, plus the actual cost and a 2% loading charge on the exchange rate.

"Pay in £ via direct debit (we use an average mid market exchange rate for the relevant month + 2%)"

Unless it's going to be financially beneficial to me I'll be paying at the toll booth. I can see the benefit of the ease of using the tag but this has to be weighed against the extra cost of using it. I don't think I have ever queued more than 2 or 3 vehicles to get through a toll (but then again we don't travel during the summer hols), and if I was on my own I would make sure the passenger seat was pushed well back, armrests up, and just shufty over to pay (or I have seen people get out and walk round to the other side to pay).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I considered getting a Telepeage tag, but the last time I looked the max vehicle height limit was 3 metres.

Our MH is 3.05 metres, and if their barriers are spot on we'd be buggered, not to mention the satellite dish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back