French Alps Feb 2018 (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
cant really decide best place to go for 1 week skiing next winter. I'll be on my own so quite flexible about location.

Would like to go to Alpe D'Huez because they have some excellent Blue runs for my ability. Would also love to ski the Sarenne. Really need electric hookup and good resort facilities ie: bars and cheap food.
Does anyone know if the Alpe D'Huez aire has electric hookup.

I'm open to other suggestions based on above.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi Chris

No the AdH aire has no hookup. We did a season based mainly there in 2015 (in our van) and have been often.

Plenty of bars nearby, all food in ski resorts is pricey and the exchange rate at present doesn't help but there are pizza/fondue/steak type restaurants near to the Aire. Also a 3 musketeers supermarket, not as pricey as some but still best to get basics before coming up.

As you say plenty of blue runs, a great intermediate resort, fab views and a likeable one in so many ways BUT in recent years the it has suffered with poor snow, everywhere has but AdH is southerly and also south facing and the snow has been late to arrive. What this means is that the runs that are open get very busy and if you are there in school holidays it can be hell on earth. The Sarenne is now kept open with snowmaking but if there are high winds you may not get up there to ski it as the access will be closed. Of course this is the same anywhere in these conditions, but my advice would be to wait and see how the season is snow wise before committing to AdH.

One other caveat: are you sure that it is cost effective to go there for 1 week in your van? It may be you are already over there or something but if travelling from UK you really might find it cheaper to get a last minute package it it's just you, and AdH usually has plenty of offers.

Best advice of all would be wait and see at the last minute.

hth, Ruth

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
cant really decide best place to go for 1 week skiing next winter. I'll be on my own so quite flexible about location.

Would like to go to Alpe D'Huez because they have some excellent Blue runs for my ability. Would also love to ski the Sarenne. Really need electric hookup and good resort facilities ie: bars and cheap food.
Does anyone know if the Alpe D'Huez aire has electric hookup.

I'm open to other suggestions based on above.
We go with friends each January now its really low season often pay £420 ish including flights transfers half board including wine can't see how it would be more coast effective/comfortable/enjoyable in our m/h. Have skied alp d'huez a few time the sarenne is good but snow is critical to being able to do the whole run (by the way you say you want blues its a black!!) another great run is tunnel (its a black too an very interesting!!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Les Deux Alpes has an aire as you enter the town. It doubles as the coach park. Toilets and hook up, I think about €12 and the local Gendarmes do come round and check. Below LDA is the town of Venosc which has a beautiful camp site called Champs du Moulin. Access is by gondola which is about 500m from the campsite. The only downside is that the gondola only ripens until 7pm in the evening which limits evening meals in Les Deux Alpes. Worth a look. Alpes D'Huez is about half an hour away from LDA.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi Ruth

Thanks for the info

I'm weighing up the options between motorhome and flying.

Cost of tyres, fuel, distance from Scotland, covers etc etc.

I can get a flight from Edinburgh to Grenoble late feb + transfer £120.

Cost of self catering apartment with sing supplement £1700

Then £200 ski pass

Hi Chris

No the AdH aire has no hookup. We did a season based mainly there in 2015 (in our van) and have been often.

Plenty of bars nearby, all food in ski resorts is pricey and the exchange rate at present doesn't help but there are pizza/fondue/steak type restaurants near to the Aire. Also a 3 musketeers supermarket, not as pricey as some but still best to get basics before coming up.

As you say plenty of blue runs, a great intermediate resort, fab views and a likeable one in so many ways BUT in recent years the it has suffered with poor snow, everywhere has but AdH is southerly and also south facing and the snow has been late to arrive. What this means is that the runs that are open get very busy and if you are there in school holidays it can be hell on earth. The Sarenne is now kept open with snowmaking but if there are high winds you may not get up there to ski it as the access will be closed. Of course this is the same anywhere in these conditions, but my advice would be to wait and see how the season is snow wise before committing to AdH.

One other caveat: are you sure that it is cost effective to go there for 1 week in your van? It may be you are already over there or something but if travelling from UK you really might find it cheaper to get a last minute package it it's just you, and AdH usually has plenty of offers.

Best advice of all would be wait and see at the last minute.

hth, Ruth

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't look at the apartment on a uk site look at the french agencies you just pay a flat rate for the apartment . Another option is a room in a shared chalet we have stayed at La Source in Villard Reculas 3 times its pretty good not too expensive and he picks you up from the airport included in the price. Its one lift to link into alp d'huez.

http://www.lasourcechalet.co.uk/?p=953

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The other option if you want is to join our trip last year we had 14 we book quite late to try and get a deal (last year we paid a bit more the year before was the cheapest at £399 but that sharing a twin room. We fly from down in the midlands but I'm sure there are some from Scotland we do ski a lot fastish red motorway cruising and the occasional black but the group often breaks into a slow and fast or red and black split.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Thanks for that I never thought about that option.

Don't look at the apartment on a uk site look at the french agencies you just pay a flat rate for the apartment . Another option is a room in a shared chalet we have stayed at La Source in Villard Reculas 3 times its pretty good not too expensive and he picks you up from the airport included in the price. Its one lift to link into alp d'huez.

http://www.lasourcechalet.co.uk/?p=953

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
One of our favourite locations is Les Saisies. The Grand Tétras Caravaniege has now closed and has been turned into an Aire complete with electric hook-ups. There is the free shuttle bus into town just outside the gates too. More info here > Les Saisies Aire de Service Grand Tétras
This is on the quiet side of the resort and does provide an easy ski in / ski out location.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I managed to find a Ski holiday company that don't charge double for single occupancy. Price includes flights from Edinburgh to Chambery with BA and transfer onto Alpe D'Huez Hotel with Half Board. Total cost £1130
Still pricey but £700 cheaper if I was paying full whack for 2 people. So the Motorhome will be left at home this Year.

Thanks for all the help and info

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds a lot more than we pay but we do go for the cheap weeks. Do the ski company do transfers and board only I bet you would get the flight cheaper than BA

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
The problem I have is flights are limited in Edinburgh to ski resorts unlike down south where you have plenty airports to fly from.

Last year I paid £700 to Bulgaria but had to fly from newcastle. Had to get train return and a night in hotel.

Sounds a lot more than we pay but we do go for the cheap weeks. Do the ski company do transfers and board only I bet you would get the flight cheaper than BA

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The problem I have is flights are limited in Edinburgh to ski resorts unlike down south where you have plenty airports to fly from.

Last year I paid £700 to Bulgaria but had to fly from newcastle. Had to get train return and a night in hotel.
Its only a 2 hour drive according to google maps we do that to Stansted!!. We usually book about 2 months before we go and look for a deal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back