French addresses and sat nav? (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
right now in UK we can use postcodes or the address.

How do you decipher a French postcode?

For instance here is Twinlakes address :- 17130 Soumeras, Charente Maritime, France,

Last edited:

largodandle

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
right now in UK we can use postcodes or the address.

How do you decipher a French postcode?

For instance here is Twinlakes address :- 17130 Soumeras, Charente Maritime, France,

The first two numbers indicate the department 17 which is Charante maritime. The firther figures move more precisely to the commune and the address. You sim!ply put the whole five digits in with your sat nav.Hope this helps. We have just returned to live in UK after 12 years in France.

largodandle

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
The first two numbers indicate the department 17 which is Charante maritime. The further figures move more precisely to the commune and the address. You sim!ply put the whole five digits in with your sat nav.Hope this helps. We have just returned to live in UK after 12 years in France.
I am being told to lengthen my message - don't exactly understand !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2escapees

Deleted User
I don't think that GPS systems can use French Postcodes since the same code can apply to many villages in rural areas. Easy just to enter the name. In this area the same code applies to villages up to 10kms apart.

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

HI, We also have a place in france and No you can,t use the french postcode on your gps system, its not a GPS location, and the number covers a big area within france.
For years we did not even have a rear address, and the post woman just knew from word of mouth who was who and lived where.
terry

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
My TomTom accepts UK post codes and Dutch ones.

For France I need the street if possible, sometimes I just choose the nearest if it doesn't come up with the street I want. If I am looking for Aire de Service places then if the Aires book has any pointers that I put that in eg: if it is near a base nautique.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back