Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Well i had enough......
Came home tonight, a day earlier than planned, after freezing my wottsits off for the last 2 nights. Spend the day in Saudersfoot, west Wales. Free parking as no charge until the 1st of april. :Smile: Wildcamped the first night in Kilgetty. Fired up the genny, what a piece of kit. Set the telly up, freeview box and digital ariel, Image 530 with the mast. Cracking picture. Bad points, FREEZING all night.

Second day, down to tenby town, free parking again ::bigsmile: £20 inc electric hookup in Lodge Farm. Lovely site. Old shower blocks but clean and boiling showers. FREEZING all night again. Couldn't leave the 700w radiator on because everytime in clicked off and on, the dog thought somone was coming into the van, :Angry::Angry: .

Finally going to have another free night but thought better off it and came home :Doh:

Anybody left a gas fire on all night, thought better not, but what do you lot do ?

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi Mark - we have two 800W DeLonghi oil filled panel heaters which we've mounted on the walls (they also have the option of being free standing) there are three heat settings and they don't click on and off ! your dog would soon be asleep :Smile: good he guards your door though :thumb:

julia

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Mark!
I don't know about anyone else but i buy the big bags of tea light candles when freecamping and light up about 8 or 10 on the kitchen drainer!
Good ones burn for about 5 or 6 hours!
There not scorching but they do take the bite out of cold nights and cost about 20p a night to run!
I turn the gas fire off and light them just before going to bed!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mark!
I don't know about anyone else but i buy the big bags of tea light candles when freecamping and light up about 8 or 10 on the kitchen drainer!
Good ones burn for about 5 or 6 hours!
There not scorching but they do take the bite out of cold nights and cost about 20p a night to run!
:Eeek:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't worry Geo!
The drainers made of stainless steel and iv'e been using them now trouble free for nearly 2 years!

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
... tea light candles ...

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Check with the Fire safety officer at the local fire station ... unattended candles are an absolute NO NO!

If you dream that you can smell roast pork, get up quick and get the L out of the van:Doh:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes they are really deadly!

Did no-one ever live in a house with a coal fire?:ROFLMAO:

If your really worried you can always put them in the sink (if its metal) with a drop of water on the bottom or better still buy the floating candles!

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I know what your saying Geo!
But a motorhome is a time bomb anyway, what with the tank of fuel, explosive batteries and a gas canister that could level a small town!
A naked flame sounds crazy!
But then you could wake up in the morning and light a fag or light the cooker for a coffee not noticing a gas leak because you have breathed it in all night!
I know all my gas fittings have a sump vent that allows gas to escape!
My fuel tank is external!
And my batteries are in a vented compartment!
The whole interior is well ventilated and i have two smoke and carbon monoxide detectors along with a gas detector!

Then you can look at old caravans that had gas lighting!
What did they do?

I think people of today believe too much safety hoo haa and have left their trust more in the hands of the people selling safety products and less in the hands of their own common sense!
If you live in a motorhome your living dangerously anyway!
Your only safety is how well you maintain it so if you don't trust a naked flame in your bus while you sleep then you don't trust your maintenance or the people who maintain it!
Personally i have worked with dangerous substances including all mentioned on an industrial scale so i have no problem with my competance of testing and feel secure knowing that even though my bus is 20 years old its safety features are light years ahead!

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0013-1.jpg

Certainly was a cold weekend!!!!!

Last edited:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
HI nice pictures debs!!! HAPPY EASTER:RollEyes:

wheres that:roflmto:

ray

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We spent the weekend in France and Belgium - very windy and cold. Stopped for a few hours at Calais Plauge yesterday and had 2 inches of snow in 30 mins. By the time we left at 21.30 it had all but gone. Handed out a few FUN cards while I was at it.

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
forgot to take my gloves, but dodged a few snow balls

got some great pics of all the action and some snow men too

it may have been gale forsce winds and heavy snow, and driving rain at times, along with hail

but a fantastic time had by all

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

it may have been gale forsce winds and heavy snow, and driving rain at times, along with hail

I see the electrical hook-up.Hope you were all snug in there.

Thank God you weren't using candles.:Doh:

Love the peaceful effect the snow has.Pity it didn't happen at Christmas.:Cool:

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
had 16 amp hook up! I think the field could take RV's too, not sure

was v cosy, no candles though :ROFLMAO:

700w oil filled radiator, fan heater too

Easter morning, snow ball fight
DSCF0026.jpg

Last edited:

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Loved this photo looks like you were all having FUN:Smile:

thanks, we did all have a laugh, still can't believe we camped under canvas in such bad weather. is certainly a meet that will never be forgotten

trevor 87

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 24, 2008
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glen 560
Exp
hi mark have you tryed the webasto/eberspacher night heaters that are fitted to most trucks now ive an rv with gas blower heating ,35000 btu,s but its noisey in the night time so i use the night heaters one in the back bed room and one in the front 24 volt as there cheaper to buy on ebay and the a 12v to 24volt converter and being diesel very cheap to run ideal for wild camping lol ::bigsmile:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have looked at diesel heaters myself!
New they cost about £800 but i have herd of a guy in the midlands that breaks old BT vans and sells em for about £250!
You have to fit them yourself!
But they only use a litre of diesel per night and if you feed them from a seperate tank you can use red!
I get red for free!
Just a bugger that my bus is petrol!:ROFLMAO:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Oh dear, prob getting old but it certainly didn't look like fun, Poor Relations!!! Hope you got the night time heating sorted......:Sad: When I saw the weather forecast I cancelled our trip to Tredegar Park (couldn't quite envisage the fun of the inevitable 6 hour jam on the M5/ M4 either.) Planted a few of the bare root plants which I'd ordered and which were starting to shoot , inbetween snow flurries and wind.......and had a tidy-up and Freecycle giveaway weekend. :RollEyes:

Laurie

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Can endorse the diesel heater suggestion - our van has Truma blown air as well as a Webasto diesel unit. The Webasto is very efficient compared to the Truma and hardly uses any diesel. :thumb:

Laurie

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I must be a polar bear!
I know i spent £70 on my sleeping bag but i have slept in minus 14 before and was as snug as a bug!
Maybe you should buy duck duvets like i do!

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
I have left gas heater on all night when we had our Autoquest, surely they are designed to do this as they are vented outside with no flame inside, am I correct or just lucky to have survived:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back