Freezing temp and water problem. (1 Viewer)

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I wasn’t in the motorhome last night (I am normally full-time) and the temperature plummeted. Today, the dump valve is open and although the mains board shows water in the tank, no water is coming out of the taps. What is the best way for me to proceed? Boiler is now turned off and if I close the dump valve momentarily, the pump comes on.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You need to get your van, especially the area of the van warm, whilst leaving the water pump off. Once warm you should be able to get the valve closed, then turn on water pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Surely if the dump valve is open it's dumped all the water?, whatever the mains board reads.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surely if the dump valve is open it's dumped all the water?, whatever the mains board reads.
Depends on the plumbing layout it is only meant to dump the contents of the hot water tank. Ours only dumps the hot tank as the valve is above the water tank.
On some vans if the water tank is above the dump valve you will get a syphon effect and it will drain the water tank.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
When you left the van unattended was the water pump turned off. If yes, the boiler would have dumped the water in it through the dump valve. So now you are back reset the valve and turn the pump on . The boiler will refill and pressurise the system.

If the pump was still on when left unattended the pump would have come on after the dump and pumped all your water tank out through the dump valve. The water sensor maybe faulty showing the full reading. Open the water tank inspection hatch and check. If full it maybe if your pump was on has it burnt out?
I had this happen to me last year and the pump ran for four days. It lasted till July 7 after this.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not sure if this applies to you’re motorhome but when our vans water system froze the filter on the sureflow pump split. We could here the pump running but there was nothing from the taps.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks, hope not!

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks for the advice. I had a heater inside going for a while, closed the dump valve, then topped up the fresh water tank. The boiler was off and I left that to fill and heat. After some air spluttering through the hot water tank, I again had hot and cold running water and pump and boiler seem fine. That’s a relief👍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the pump was still on when left unattended the pump would have come on after the dump and pumped all your water tank out through the dump valve.
Yes if it is a pressurised system but no if it is a submersible pump activated by micro switches in the taps.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are living in it full time in the winter best not to switch the heating and hot water off altogether when you leave it. Just turn the thermostat down. It will be less likely to happen in the future then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back