Freezing overnight temperatures (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hello all,

I'm sure this has been asked, however, I cannot find anything specific to my query. My MH is in open storage and in the winter I try to get away every other week in it, just to keep things ticking over.

For example...next week I am off for 2 nights, however, this weekend is forecast to have minus degree temperatures. Should I be draining all water out of my system after every trip and then re-filling. This Sunday is predicted to be very cold, and I wondered if it is worth me using it for the night, with heating on (gas if not on hook-up), to prevent any freezing of pipes :eek:.

All advice, help, comments will be very gratefully received.

Hope you are all well and happy :D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Generally speaking, one night of frost is unlikely to cause damage. It's when we get several days and nights of sub zero temperatures when damage is likely.
But yes best to drain if unused, tanks, boiler and pipework if possible. I have drain valves which drain pipework when taps left open (with 12volt off) others may be different ?

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
i drain down after every trip anyway just so that water doesn't stagnate in the system but the dump valve on my heater opens at about 4 degrees to protect it. save worrying just do it its better safe than sorry :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Also interested in responses, I am in a similar position. I haven't done anything for the last 3 winters and beginning to think I might be riding my luck especially if we revert to a cold winter as forecast for this year. I have drained the water system down to clean the fresh water tank and pipes, however, been rather lack through the winter as the van comes out of storage at least once every month, of course that doesn't mean it wont be in there during a cold snap.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The make of your van will have a lot of bearing.. Some have the tanks and pipework exposed and as such need to be drained.
Others, mainly those flash German owners have "double floors" and the tank / pipes are protected a bit more..
Then you have dump valves for the boiler, some are manual and need lifting to empty the tank, others have auto dump that release the water once a certain minimum temperature is reached.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I drain ours down if I know I'm not going to use it for a couple of weeks, otherwise left ready. I use a thermostatic convector heater set to keep the van at 8°C, just put it in today as last night got down to 7.4°C. First winter we had the van the shower mixer cracked as I hadn't drained it down fully, lesson learnt.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There are many answers to this question, so I will go over them all (I think)
For a slight overnight frost, all I do is get brother in law to turn on tank heaters if the van is not in use.
If the forecast is for prolonged periods of sub zero temperatures, and we aren't using the van, then I do a full drain down, most importantly dumping the boiler.
If we are in the van and it is due to go sub zero, I make sure the fresh tank is brimmed, the hot water is on, and the grey tap is open (bucket underneath of course).
All our external pipework is lagged, and we have used the van in very cold conditions, so far -10 is the coldest. Touch wood, so far no disasters! :D

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Julie,
My van is also in open storage with all water drained and I drive it once every four weeks to keep it ticking over but I do not stay overnight in it. Your Tracker has a gas heater I believe so no need for water there and if I had a similar van I would simply be carrying 5litre bottles of water and heating via a kettle as required, no showering but strip washing.
Even the toilet can be flushed that way so there would be no need to fill and use the whole water system. Hope this is of some help.
Norman.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Julie S
Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Julie,
My van is also in open storage with all water drained and I drive it once every four weeks to keep it ticking over but I do not stay overnight in it. Your Tracker has a gas heater I believe so no need for water there and if I had a similar van I would simply be carrying 5litre bottles of water and heating via a kettle as required, no showering but strip washing.
Even the toilet can be flushed that way so there would be no need to fill and use the whole water system. Hope this is of some help.
Norman.

Thanks Norman. I have a Burstner now (one of those flash German vans) and when I went to look at it yesterday, I found the water had been dumped automatically from the fresh water tank. I did drain the water heater, and opened all the taps so fingers crossed all will be ok. I am going away Wednesday/Thursday next week so I guess I will find out whether it has survived tonight's predicted minus temps.

I do always carry fresh water in bottles for drinking with me, however, I would want to use the heater whilst I am away, and I do intend using the van all through the winter. As a matter of interest am I correct in thinking I can use the heating, whilst on EHU, without the need for water in the system?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There's a lot of expensive stuff in the motorhome that can be damaged by frost. Far too costly and inconvenient to simply wing it and pray, so I suggest you drain everything down to be sure. If you're away regularly, you'll be well-practised by the end of winter and still have a serviceable van. Look around on the forum, and you'll find this mentioned in more detail but say if you're uncertain what to do. If there's no water in the van, there's no need to heat it. Heating is an unnecessary expense and may not be allowed if in storage.

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I always dump all water when I park up at the storage site I use even although mine does have a fancy double floor. I empty everything and leave all taps open (power off). When using it in cold conditions I leave the water hear on all the time and the heating on low when we are out. Might be overkill sometimes but a friend was hit with a hefty bill when he had pipes freeze after he forget to drain down.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Fully agree with the above comments, much better to drain the lot .
If its been below about +5 the truma will dump water so you may need to re-close the dump valve to get the system to work anyway. We have a submersible pump in the internal cold water tank, I pull the outlet pipe off the pump and use a 12v tyre inflator ( the plastic Lilo adapter)to blow all the water out of the system, hot and cold, until all you can hear is the air coming out of each outlet. Then just put some salt water down the plugholes to ensure that it sits in the U bends. Also be sure to empty the toilet cassette and any waste tank
Mike S

Upvote 0

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
Hope it’s ok to jump in on this thread as it’s similar to my question . If not admin move or delete.

I’ve just this minute returned home after picking up my hymer 1995 b544 . I want drain the boiler. Am I right in thinking opening the yellow valve to the rear of the van and letting the water drain out will also drain any water that’s in the boiler? Leaving taps open and power off? If I want to go out in the van for the day can I still use the gas heating ?

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hope it’s ok to jump in on this thread as it’s similar to my question . If not admin move or delete.

I’ve just this minute returned home after picking up my hymer 1995 b544 . I want drain the boiler. Am I right in thinking opening the yellow valve to the rear of the van and letting the water drain out will also drain any water that’s in the boiler? Leaving taps open and power off? If I want to go out in the van for the day can I still use the gas heating ?
Draining the boiler, won't drain the fresh water tank unless the pump is running. Much easier to drain the boiler, then drain the fresh water.

Upvote 0

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
Draining the boiler, won't drain the fresh water tank unless the pump is running. Much easier to drain the boiler, then drain the fresh water.
The freash water tank is empty just a small amount in the bottom. I’m just trying to drain the boiler to prevent damage from low overnight temp.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

I expect the 'yellow' valve is the 'dump' one. They're not all the same colour. If the valve has a housing around it, rather than being just a simple valve, it probably is. The 'dump valve' is triggered by low temperatures and the mechanism to release the water is part of the valve. It's usually close to the boiler, too. Open taps and leave them open and run the pump to clear any water there. (Don't forget the header tank for the loo, if you have one.)
You will be OK to use the heating without water in it. Remember to reset the dump switch before you refill, or the water will simply drain away through it!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I should have a look at the manual for your model of boiler, ours is a 2005 built Truma which looks like a black dustbin, it has a valve built into the lower edge of the boiler which automatically opens if it looses 12v supply or if temp drops below +5 or so. Some people try to defeat the dump effect by clipping up the stem of the valve but it still dumps! In my case it spills over the back roadsprings. If it has opened you will see any water running out somewhere underneath also when you next go to fill the system the pump wont be able to fill anything, it will just p*ss out underneath, you will then need to pull UP the stem to close the valve. I have extended ours with fence wire so that it can be reset from the storage compartment above the boiler. It saves me lifting the bed whilst Capitano hunts for the reset handle in the dark
Mike

Upvote 0

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
83C39AC8-A780-4140-AF7A-90118C9C619D.jpeg
0D25B61A-D98B-4465-B40A-204191BDC7AF.jpeg
Come back if you still have difficulty. A picture might help.
Expecting -3 tonight so have drained down the boiler by opening yellow valve under the cooker rear of the camper. Opened taps no more water is coming out. I have attached a couple of pictures . Hope you can make out the yellow valve I lifted. Just included one of the boiler too. Thank you

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The yellow valve looks like a simple, manual, dump valve but should be enough to do the trick.
The grey box sitting on the LHS of your photo may be that of an auto-dump valve. You might check by looking underneath your van, where you would see an outlet below the valve, in addition to the one below the yellow valve.
If it gets cold enough, an auto-dump valve will open anyway and, in that case, you'll need to reset it before refilling. A user manual for your vehicle should describe the position(s) of valves and how to use them.

I think you have done enough but suggest a 'survey' of the underneath of the floor anytime you feel like it to see if there are other outlets and, if there are, where they come from. If I am right about your yellow valve, I'm pretty sure you will have an auto-dump one also. I'm not sure of the purpose of the yellow one, other than as an additional security measure.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back