Freezer on the move (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Has anyone any idea how long food it the freezer stays frozen while travelling , I have been asked this question by a friend, he wants to freeze stu ff at home then put in the van freezer , I said about 2 hours before starting to defrost, but not sure so I said I would ask all of you kind folk who will certainly have the answer.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Had stuff in mine for 24 hours and still frozen. Was packed tight mind and the freezer was off as the car didn’t have the fridge connected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We freeze food down in the home freezer and then put it into the van freezer compartment. It stays frozen in the van freezer compartment as long as van fridge is working - for us that can be as long as a 4 month trip, including a 24 ferry journey when the van fridge is off power.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I had a little trip out on Friday... forgot to switch my fridge to battery or gas at my destination.... the frozen food in the freezer compartment stayed frozen for over six hours... just on insulation alone.

Is this what you're asking?

Wouldn't have liked to leave it much longer.
But I'm guessing 8 hours wouldn't be a problem

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We got the ferry to bilbao the other year. After 24 hrs we were allowed back to the van as we came into port, the freezer was at 0°c (they tend to stay at 0°c for a long time while the ice changes into water)

PaulAndMaz

Free Member
Jan 26, 2020
Newhaven, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Providing he doesn’t leave the freezer door open it should last days. The 12v keeps ours frozen whilst travelling all day. I wouldn’t realistically expect it to freeze things on 12v but it does keep things frozen.
My Campervan fridge easily freezes stuff. Keeps the beer and wind nice and cold in the main fridge part. Also operates automatically when travelling.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If it’s on 12v it will stay frozen as long as your driving. If all power off and you don’t open door to fridge freezer it will stay frozen for at least 24 hours and then only start defrosting slowly. Ours was off for ten hours while van was in garage and no problem, same as being on a ferry with it all switched off. (y)

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
Freeze a couple of ice packs at home, make sure the motorhome freezer is cold then put the food and ice packs in. Will last several days at least, more if you are running the freezer by driving or by gas/EHU.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My Campervan fridge easily freezes stuff. Keeps the beer and wind nice and cold in the main fridge part. Also operates automatically when travelling.
Mine freezes when hooked up or on gas. I don’t know if it would freeze things just on 12v.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
3 way fridge with small freezer inside top, it will freeze stuff down solid overnight on gas or EHU, and also on 12v but only when engine on. As long as fridge isn’t turned off will keep frozen stuff as long as you need. Turned off will be ok for about 2 or 3 hours as long as you don’t open door.
Did you know that certain foods, mainly veg, will be ok to refreeze as long as it has defrosted naturally, not forced to defrost. Mind you will probably be mushy! :LOL:

Mar 8, 2012
enfield, mid north london
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Do you really need to carry frozen food around nowadays, with so many 24 hour shops.
I suppose if your going to be tucked away somewhere far away from civilisation it handy.
We carry a few packets and tins in case, but generally decide what to eat on a daily basis, 1/2 the fun.
Our freezer bit wouldn’t keep a packet of peas frozen 😆so not even an option for us.
Grumpy🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👹🥃

Jan 1, 2017
Brandon, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2014
Has anyone any idea how long food it the freezer stays frozen while travelling , I have been asked this question by a friend, he wants to freeze stu ff at home then put in the van freezer , I said about 2 hours before starting to defrost, but not sure so I said I would ask all of you kind folk who will certainly have the answer.
My Autosleeper fridge keeps ice frozen for 3 days at a festival if the fridge is chilled down for 2 days before, and we run it on gas at a medium setting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back