Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
We are still working out how to use things in our motorhome as no handbooks or instructions for any of the gadgets...sooo.. We have a TV aerial that is flat and looks like a dish and it can be cranked up to a vertical postition. We don't get a great picture on it so does anyone think buying a freeview topbox will improve reception?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sounds like a status aerial. If you can't get a decent analogue signal you have no hope of getting a digital one. The aerial should have an in line amplifier which needs to be switched on (a bit obvious I know but switching mine on was not very intuitive!)
Without this on you won't get a decent picture even in a good signal area.
The aerial should only be cranked up to the vertical position if the local transmitter is vertically polarised (easiest way is to look at other peoples on vans or adjacent housing.)

OP
OP
rav4girly

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
It does have a booster which we do switch on and we have been leaving it flat as advised by other funsters. Do you think a freeview box will help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as nearlyretired said.....look at other vans/houses and set your aerial the same way..vertical OR horizontal and obviously in the same direction.
digi is more direction critical than the old system so you MUST be accurate pointing it.

if you cant get an anologue picture you'll never get a digital picture...ever!!!!!

so a freeview box is a waste of money.

just had a thought.......you are re-tuning your tv at each and every place you stop, arent you????

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It does have a booster which we do switch on and we have been leaving it flat as advised by other funsters. Do you think a freeview box will help?

As already stated you need a good signal for digital, I have a freeview box on mine and it works fine but if the signal is weak you will only be able to get a picture on analogue. I assume you have tried it in several places and it isn't just that you're in a bad position.

The aerial itself may be duff, I've had one like that too.:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just another idea if you are retuning each time.

go into the tv menu.....

somewhere in there you will find a sub menu for the type of signal received...

pal, secam, auto or NTSC or something like that.

make sure its set to either pal or auto.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back