Freestander awning - how close? (1 Viewer)

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
One year - summer and winter
We have a Ventura Freestander awning which we use in France to give us extra space or wind protection when sitting outside our motorhome , and in the UK to give an area of weather protection and to hang wet jackets, etc. when winter camping. The "official" You-tube video shows you how to connect your awning by tying a guy rope to the peg bag and lob it over your van.
I have never tried this as it would not be possible to climb onto the roof if it got trapped/snagged on something!
The beading that connects with the figure of 8 plastic strip makes a "tunnel" of up to a metre from the van if you keep it taut, so there is plenty of space for the wind to blow through. `not so much an awning as a separate tent.
Isabella's web site doesn't seem to address this.
I did find a good way of folding the connecting strip and tying it up but a thunderstorm produced a lake on top of it.
Does anyone have any useful tips or advice

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a similar model to yours and started using it by attaching it to the van channel, rolling up the fabric as you have. I was also not successful in creating a suitable rain/ windproof seal.
I purchased 2 awning hold-down straps cheaply on Ebay and used them to throw over the van and secure to the ground. Because they are made of 2" strapping and also sprung at ground level, they are much less likely than guy-ropes to become snagged on anything out of reach. If it did, I'd use the over-cab bed ladder, with the end suitably wrapped in something soft, leant up against the van to give access to the snag.

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
One year - summer and winter
Good idea ! I already have a Fiamma Tie- down strap for the sun canopy , and could get another.
The weight of the strap, rolled up would carry it over the top fairly easily

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
when we tried a drive away awning ( no longer have it could not get on with it. we used a dogs toy ( plastic ball on a short rope ) to throw over the van worked great... at least better than any tunnel that connected the awning to the motorhome.:Eeek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I just erect ours on the pitch away from the van. Not far to walk. I dont see the need to join it to the van. BUSBY ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having watched the below video on youtube it would appear that on the part you place near the camper (ie the back of the awning) the overhead part is much longer than the sides and is therefore meant to go over the top (assuming it is the same as the model shown):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEtqgbh2qs4"]Ventura Freestander Assembly 2002 - YouTube[/ame]

Having the awning butted right up to the side of the MH so you can step straight in to the main part of it, rather than into the covered 'tunnel' section, will always mean you have gathered material unfortunately. We had a similar problem with another type of awning and changed it for a lower height one which partially solved the problem.

The only way I can think of to be able to put the awning tight up to the side of the MH without having a saggy roof panel, is to sew an additional strip of beading on the top of the roof panel at a point much nearer the free-standing awning back, this will then allow you to attach the awning closer and just roll up the excess material inside and gather up any excess material at the sides.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
To get straps / ropes over the roof:
Dogs toys have been suggested, this is much the same.
I have two cheap tennis balls with a small slit in each.
Push the end bit of the peg down strap / rope into the ball and throw.
Usually goes straight over in one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To get straps / ropes over the roof:
Dogs toys have been suggested, this is much the same.
I have two cheap tennis balls with a small slit in each.
Push the end bit of the peg down strap / rope into the ball and throw.
Usually goes straight over in one.

... you've just got to convince your dog to let you have the tennis balls in the first place ... not a chance in the case of ours, we'd have to throw the blooming dog over too!!! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back