Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Ok, so as a fulltimer, I dont have a landline, so I rely on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Vodafone 3G datacard which we pay £20 a month for so many squigabytes! (Don't ask me!, I just use it! )
My limit is already running down and its only the 14th - been a tad busy!

So, everybody is always talikg about free wifi hotspots but I've never used one and wouldn't know how.
I know that people have been prosecuted for linking onto unsecure conections but if it's advertised as a free wifi hotspot (like the one I've found at my local Mcdonalds in Congleton) , can I just go down there and fire up my lap top at thier expense and if so how would I do it?
I would, of course, feel obliged to go in and at least have a coffee (even if I hate thier carpet burgers!)............besides, it's nippy in the car at this time of year!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Zaskar go in and ask for a leaflet, it has the passwords on it, sit down fire up, connect to their wi-fi, fire up your webbrowser and you are taken to a websign in page, enter the passwords and away you go. Until your battery goes flat anyway.

Olley

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Zaskar go in and ask for a leaflet, it has the passwords on it, sit down fire up, connect to their wi-fi, fire up your webbrowser and you are taken to a websign in page, enter the passwords and away you go. Until your battery goes flat anyway.

Olley

Blimey! That easy! Cheers. :)

You mean you can't use a genny ... :Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

have you seen Mickey D's car park in Congleton?!!!!!!!
They'd have a flippin heart attack if i turned up in the Landau!!!!!! :) Hahahaha

Thanks guys. :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim with the amount of interest shown in us in Lisbon when we used it (Zilch) and with all the seating they had outside, possibly. ::bigsmile:

I was think of buying a motorcycle battery and 150watt inverter, but the wife vetoed that idea.

Olley

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
You could always run an extension lead from the motorhome in through the window :whistle:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi zaskar. You would be FAR better off going to the USB Three. Son and Daughter have both gone that route. Mandy was surfing and emailing from the Lake District last week.
BTW, You can also find FREE Wifi connections at Airports.
I believe here in Spain? Many of the local Councils are providing FREE Wifi.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim no way, knotted handkerchief on my head, string vest, Hawaiian shorts, sandals and socks, got to be an Englishman on holiday.::bigsmile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We provide free broadband wi fi at Dylans Restaurant, so while you have a coffee you type in the given numbers and away you go. Loads of people come in just for the free broadband. Not many restaurants in Carmarthenshire (A40) provide it so we think its a good service:thumb:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
There is free Wifi at Camping Memling in Bruges ? and outside of a lot of the B&B hotel chain, certainly within France ?

Perhaps we could start our own list of free Wifi Access

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi - free wifi at Parc Verger in the Limousin in France too. Come visit soon - there's a 10% discount off of pitch prices for MHFun members too!:winky:

Bob

S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
All Weatherspoons pubs and lloyds bars have free wifi and dont mind you plugging into their mains. Buy a coffee and you have 30 mins free, meals are two for around £5.50 - £6.50 depending on which area you are in. You are disconected after 30 mins, just disconnect, retype the same password in and hey presto !

A couple of places in Wales I go past I have stopped in the past, searched and found any number of unsecured wifi connections. All I do is late night surfing to read emails, unlikely to interfere with users connection and I head on my way, been doing that for in excess of 3 years with no probs.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Pat I knew the CC were putting wi-fi on some sites as a trial but I thought you had to pay for it? Certainly at Abbey wood you do, something like £5 per day or £25 per week.

Olley

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Bloomin heck ! I was thinking of charging £2 for the time the campers were here and if they were "returners" then it was free. I think £5 a day abit steep or am I wrong ?

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I thought when we stayed at Sheepcote last Feb we had free wifi but I may be wrong!

I agree £25 for a week or £5 a day is a bit steep will have to go to the internet cafe @ £1 an hour.

Regards Pat.

Last edited:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, From another forum there is a suggestion that its £6 per hour albeit that can be used over a 24 hour period, not sure of the accuracy but i have paid 5/6 euro for 1 hour spread over a 24 hour period in France so i don't think the figure quoted will be to far away from the actual price.

I think these sorts of charges appear way over the top, it would be interesting to know what the charges are for commercial broadband and the infrastructure costs associated with providing this type of service.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
When i was in Dublin Last year visiting my daughter I wanted to book in online with Ryanair for the flight home went into a nearby internet shop 1 euro for an hour! So that would work out at 24 euro a day or roundabout £19!!

Regards Pat

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I think the CC service is done by an outside provider not the CC, so its going to be dear. Guess wi-fi was to much of a modern idea for the old farts in charge of the CC.

Olley

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,
Don't take my word for it, but i think you may be able to use your BT openworld free minutes at some of the CC site as i think the service may be something to do with the BT openworld or one of its partners ??

That's if you have BT broadband, albeit while they call them free minutes, I would rather have free broadband through talktalk and then find a Mcdonalds or Weatherspoon ??

I am in the process of signing up to FON as it seems like a viable alternative for free wifi all over Europe ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back