Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it was only £25 per annum before that Janine.

It was so crap though that we didn’t use it.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
It's not free...all the members are paying.
Allen

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's free. There was a members survey last year and I suggested they go the same way the continental sites are going. So perhaps they do listen to members, sometimes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Free, not free, depends on how you look at it. The problem is the quality. Same on the trains - why bother even saying it is available when it is worse than useless - sometimes even for email.

IF they can get fibre to the site (big if) then the technology exists to give a quality wifi service to all. To watch streamed Netflix can be done with as little as 4Mb/s - even a service at 8Mb/s would really be quite acceptable.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Blimey- what are you lot like? I’ll keep it to myself next time!
Must admit I'm surprised at the reaction to your useful post!

From the March edition of the C&CC magazine which was delivered yesterday (page 14):

"Club Sites get more connected" - Wi-fi is now free at the majority of Club Sites thanks to a programme to expand and improve services throughout the network. Coverage and range has also been extended at 29 different Club Sites, meaning the average wi-fi speed at the majority of sites should be, under usual circumstances, perfect to shop online, search and book campsites, or check emails and social media... ...Free wi-fi now covers more than 85% of the Club's UK site network."

Sounds pretty good to me. (y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Must admit I'm surprised at the reaction to your useful post!

From the March edition of the C&CC magazine which was delivered yesterday (page 14):

"Club Sites get more connected" - Wi-fi is now free at the majority of Club Sites thanks to a programme to expand and improve services throughout the network. Coverage and range has also been extended at 29 different Club Sites, meaning the average wi-fi speed at the majority of sites should be, under usual circumstances, perfect to shop online, search and book campsites, or check emails and social media... ...Free wi-fi now covers more than 85% of the Club's UK site network."

Sounds pretty good to me. (y)

I got my email last night telling me about it but not read until now

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Most site WiFi, whether free or not, tends to be of lacklustre quality, with variable bandwidth issues. I personally have gone the MiFi route, piggy backing onto my Cell Phone. I can run up to 10 devices on it (allegedly) But it does cope with 2 I-Pads and a laptop simultaneously for surfing. never tried streaming, but I am told that it is possible on a 4G signal?.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I noted at NEC today that they have decided (from 19Mar, I think) to provide WiFi for free "on most sites".
I cannot imagine anyone being able to stream data on such services. i'd expect it to break-up. I think the problems with low bandwidth come from too many requests being made simultaneously.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hotels - like the Premier Inn - manage to provide a two tier wifi network... the slow speed for web, email etc if free but the high speed, high volume option is chargeable.
I think this is a good idea.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hotels - like the Premier Inn - manage to provide a two tier wifi network... the slow speed for web, email etc if free but the high speed, high volume option is chargeable.
I think this is a good idea.
Yes, this is an excellent idea and perfectly doable.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Has anyone else noticed that when you "sign up" for many of the "free" WiFi access options, you finish up with an inbox full of cr*p.?. ( the only "solution" I have found is to have a separate E-Mail address for this purpose?) But that wont work with the C&CC or CC I suspect.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've never found site-wide wifi to be very useful. I preferred the ones you used to get where it was free but only within range of reception/bar. This meant only a limited number were using it so the speed was adequate. I would never use a public wifi for anything like banking though.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've never found site-wide wifi to be very useful. I preferred the ones you used to get where it was free but only within range of reception/bar. This meant only a limited number were using it so the speed was adequate. I would never use a public wifi for anything like banking though.
You could get yourself a VPN extension and then you would be more secure with your banking

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure this would make any difference, the weak point is the shared site network which would still be used even with a VPN.
I guess it depends on what you are transmitting to get on to your online banking. If it is one time passwords or a locally entered password on your device which is encrypted I think you should be okay but I am no expert. The point of the VPN is to stop someone accessing your device i.e. it keeps it hidden.

More likely to get your card cloned than get your bank hacked.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
This is apparently a new facility - as in free wifi - and as such, previous experiences of the old system might not be valid
As with everything, individuals have a choice... be a member of C&CC, stay on sites or use the 'free wifi'... or not.

So I say thanks to @Janine for this useful heads up (y).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well, I am sorry to prove many of you wrong, but I have been happily using the free wifi most of the afternoon with absolutely no problems. :)

How many people were on the site?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How many people were on the site?
Why does that matter o_O?
It worked for Janine, so that's good.
If doesn't work for you - then no loss, it cost you nothing :whistle:.
Seriously, can no-one be happy about a service improvement - even if it's not perfect for every individual demands.
:rolleyes:

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
We have been at Polstead CCC site since Friday. I was impressed to find the WiFi was free. The site was just about full Friday and Saturday nights, although it is fairly empty now. The WiFi has been fine all weekend, we have both surfed and streamed without problem. I would say that's a plus for the CCC.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Of course, it won't really be 'free'. It's at no additional charge.
Still a much better arrangement than the 'other' club, whatever it now calls itself. £24pa for a service that doesn't work in all locations? Better to spend that on a mobile connection that you can use anywhere (there's a signal).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back