Free Virus Protection (1 Viewer)

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
:helpsos:please help!
My laptop is now a year old and the Norton that came with it keeps telling me that I must pay to renew - however, I understand that there are equally good virus protection programmes available free to download if only I knew where to look. Please all you computer genius friends, is this true and, if so, where should I look?
Jan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
your gonna get swamped with suggestions ,
I use free AVG it trys to get you to buy it but keep looking for fee download and its very simple to use
Geo

Last edited:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
My laptop is now a year old and the Norton that came with it keeps telling me that I must pay to renew - however, I understand that there are equally good virus protection programmes available free to download if only I knew where to look. Please all you computer genius friends, is this true and, if so, where should I look?
Jan

Hi Jan,

You can download AVG 8.0 free from AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Jan
Hi Jan Pendreigh,
You will find everything you could possibly require at The Best-ever Freeware Utilities List | Gizmo's Tech Support Alert
It is a site run by an expert who has compiled a host of free software together with unbiased descriptions and evaluations. Look under "46 best freeware programs".( there are actually double this number now)
It is the best source of software that I have ever come across and I unreservedly recomend it. I have followed his recomendations for all of my downloads for about three years now. You will definately be loosing out if you do not investigate.
Wilbury

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

reader

Deleted User
AVG 8 Free is a better equipped package now than most of the paid for av software . There is another freeby you could look at, Avira's AntiVir

There is the option to convert to Paid For with both these packages

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Jan, both Avira and AVG are excellent free packages - I use Avira because I had a software conflict problem with AVG ages ago, but both are very good. Just take care when you download the new program of your choice, to keep your Norton connected and running while you are on the Internet. Once you have downloaded the program, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall Norton from Add/ Remove programs in the Control Panel, reboot, and then install your new program -

Once its up and running, then you can safely connect to the internet again!!!

Norton is wellknown for being extremely bloated and using up all your system resources, making the computer run really slowly. There are much better free options to Norton and McAfee.

Laurie

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Norton is wellknown for being extremely bloated and using up all your system resources, making the computer run really slowly. There are much better free options to Norton and McAfee.

Laurie

Totally agree with you Laurie.

We install AVG 8 FREE on our residential customer PC builds and NOD32 on our Business Client Machines.

Norton will reduce a PC with insufficient physical memory to a crawl.

Steve.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back