free to view or not to view (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
having just bought a new MH (Lunar Roadstar 780TSB) with a tv/dvd, sat dish and digibox on board, i was told by dealer to call sky and get a free to view card (we do not have skycard) and then we could pick up the freeview channels, rang sky and got recorded message that they no longer provide these cards? can we just plug our freeview box into tv by passing the digibox?

confused:Confused:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think if you only want free to air channels then you just need a f.t.a. sat box(no card slot)
not sure, but if you have a skybox then you need a sky f.t.a. card.

havnt heard anything about discontinuing the skycards though.

john.

Upvote 0

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
hi

The satellite box in the van will decode the available free to air stations without a card, if it is a Sky satellite box at the moment it will not display channel 4 / 5 as these are still encrypted so you will need to purchase a free to air card, I was not aware that sky have stopped selling these but will check on monday.
#
Channel 4 /5 will become free to air on the sky box but only they know when, channel 4 is already free on non sky boxes and is listed as channel 8350.

nick

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Upvote 0
D

dxwalker

Deleted User
I've been advised that you can relocate your Sky box and card from your house to your M/H and it will work fine in Europe, but in doing so you are in breach of contract with Sky and could be cut off if caught. Currently they have no method of detecting if you do this (so I'm told)

Can someone please try this before I do, just in case Sky can detect your use. I would but it's the start of the footie season and I cant go without my Sunday match.

If they catch you, you can always come to my house to watch TV:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
What the story on using your Sky box from home?

Thats exactly what I do. I have a Pace duel voltage Sky Box, with contract card.When away with van I plug it into 12v and enjoy my usual service. Just got back from Northern Spain enjoying my only companion, Sky!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your Sky box is still under contract it should be connected to a phone line, if its not you can do as you like, the easy way is to buy a second hand one of e-bay most come with a free view card for less than £30 the lot
they can only tell, if it is, or is not connected, they cant tell if you use it in your M/H.
I have used mine for 3 weeks away without any contact from them and most week ends, the worst that will happen is you will get snottygram asking you to make sure your line is connected, then just plug it back in, if you are unfortunate enough to get a phone call tell em your re decorating the lounge and you have temporarily moved the box to the kitchen:RollEyes:
Geo

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
having just bought a new MH (Lunar Roadstar 780TSB) with a tv/dvd, sat dish and digibox on board, i was told by dealer to call sky and get a free to view card (we do not have skycard) and then we could pick up the freeview channels, rang sky and got recorded message that they no longer provide these cards? can we just plug our freeview box into tv by passing the digibox?

I wonder if thats why ASDA is now selling Sky Cards, A tad more than £20 though.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
If your Sky box is still under contract it should be connected to a phone line, if its not you can do as you like, the easy way is to buy a second hand one of e-bay most come with a free view card for less than £30 the lot
they can only tell, if it is, or is not connected, they cant tell if you use it in your M/H.
I have used mine for 3 weeks away without any contact from them and most week ends, the worst that will happen is you will get snottygram asking you to make sure your line is connected, then just plug it back in, if you are unfortunate enough to get a phone call tell em your re decorating the lounge and you have temporarily moved the box to the kitchen:RollEyes:
Geo

If you are "OUT" of contract, then no compulsion to be connected to phone line, that is only a condition of service "IN" contract. My Sky box is my own.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo

If you are "OUT" of contract, then no compulsion to be connected to phone line, that is only a condition of service "IN" contract. My Sky box is my own.
I know its late but didnt I just say that:Doh:
Geo

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My Sky box is legit and is never connected to the phone line.::bigsmile:

Never get any messages from Sky.

Upvote 0

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I think that it depends on how long you have had your Sky box and card because if it is less than a year old it must be permanently connected to a telephone line, not sure but I think they could detect it if it were disconnected!

After a year you can take it anywhere we have taken ours all over Europe.

Regards Pat

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
And mine, its been disconnected from phone for about 8 years now and lives permanently in the motorhome. I dont move it from home to van anymore when we go away cos it always seems to cock something up when I do. I send the signal indoors now with a cable that plugs into the M/H while at home. The handset changes channels indoors on sky just the same because I have one of those little dongle thingys wherever I have a telly.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

I would imagine that if you tv is new it will already have Freeview Installed. This being the case you dont need a Sky Box or Decoder of any description. Just plug in an arial and off you go.

If your going abroad then you will need a decoder and sat dish. It can be a store bought decoder or your Sky Box from home. It doesnt matter whether your an existing Sky subscriber or not it will work.

As to what Sky will do, follow GEO'S advice, it dont matter.

Jim :thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thats exactly what I do. I have a Pace duel voltage Sky Box, with contract card.When away with van I plug it into 12v and enjoy my usual service. Just got back from Northern Spain enjoying my only companion, Sky!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

I'm off to Spain (Costa Brava) in a couple of weeks. Can you reccomend a Sat Dish that will pick up a signal over there. I dont want an expensive one because I'm having one fitted onto the roof of the mh when I get back. I'm just going to take my sky box with me, even though I no longer subscribe to sky I believe it will work for the free view channels

Cheers

Jim
:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back