Free PAYG phone sim with FREE credit each month (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone is after a free PAYG sim with free credit each month then this might suit.

Background: Hubby has just transferred his original 'Three' phone number to his Vodafone contract as his credit on Three had finally been used up however he likes to have a second sim for the odd occasions when Vodafone isn't strong or as a fall back for if we're away in a remote area with limited coverage (he has a dual sim phone) but due to Three raising their PAYG rates they are now expensive compared to others. He didn't want Giffgaff, ID etc as they require regular topping up, just a bog standard non-expiring PAYG sim, so I've been looking for an alternative and found this site which was useful:

What I've got him: I went down the various options and found a 'Welsh' offering by a company called RWG, which is only 5p a minute for calls and being on EE's network meets our requirement for different provider, there's no requirement to top up regularly so he can just use it to make a call/text/browse once within each 6 month period to keep it active which is good enough but it gets better ... when I explored it further there appears to be a bonus each month of mins/texts and data which is great as that will be just what we need so no need to top up unless we intend to use it a fair bit (of course we might have to do this the first time when we activate it but I'll report back when we get the sim!).

1618320880499.png
1618320839009.png

When I did a search I also found other sites which say the call cost for Asda Mobile calls is now 4p per minute so appears to have dropped from 8p since the info was put on the above site (they've on Vodafone so no good to us).

Hopefully it might prove useful to others.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When I did a search I also found other sites which say the call cost for Asda Mobile calls is now 4p per minute so appears to have dropped from 8p since the info was put on the above site (they've on Vodafone so no good to us).
Think the pricing may have changed when they moved from EE to Vodafone?:unsure:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well the sim arrived and was stuck in hubby's phone (dual sim slots) and I activated it choosing the 'free' package via the JOYN app (which they are part of) and it was very easy to do. Hubby has used it and it works fine without charging for anything.

Another bonus is that it can be used in the EU just as you would in the UK so great as a back-up for our Vodafone ones in case we have network issues.

1619183643198.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is my present provider and members may find it worth considering. Includes 48 countries too.

You can't beat them for call charges the only downside is that you have to top it up by at least £10 every 4 months, if you're gonna use it, it's great value though.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You can't beat them for call charges the only downside is that you have to top it up by at least £10 every 4 months, if you're gonna use it, it's great value though.
Agreed! I like you have looked at a lot of providers and I rate this very highly. If you spend less than at £2.50 a month at 1 penny a minute on calls and txt's etc you might be better of with a sim card with no monthly fee. If you spend more, this is going to be hard to beat especially as the rate does not change for calls and txt's when you visit Europe.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I sent a message to RWG to clarify the position about using it in the EU and they replied:

My email:
I've just requested a sim card for myself (hubby has one already) and wondered if you could please let me know the situation regarding using it abroad - can I use the allowance as I would in the UK when in the EU (calls/texts/data), if so is there a limit on the length of time I can use it abroad continuously (eg 2 months) and/or how much data I can use (assuming I have a package with an amount included).
Their response:
There are no restrictions to using your mobile whilst in the EU, you can use it like you are in the UK.

Occasionally there are some policies pushed down to us by our host network that restrict the service for users if you are overseas for more than 3 months but if this happens you can just give us a call or send us an email and we will restore services immediately.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Regards

RWG Mobile Support Team

Looks good for those who want a sim for use abroad without restrictions!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
15 GB of data for £22.00 per month if I have read that right !
Not everyone needs a lot of data, for those who only need a small amount but over a longer period it might be a better option due to the longer usage period as a lot now restrict you if you go over 2 months continuously abroad.

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Hi, has anyone heard or used GOVIVO (govivo.co.uk), they offer data packages just for travellers like motorhome users, I believe they use the O2 network, and offer a EU 50Gb monthly contract which you can park when not travelling, my concern is that if O2 limit the EU roaming data this could reflect back to Govivo, we are heavy data users we abroard, and will miss our Vodafone contract that gave us 100Gb while roaming, now it has come to the end of the contract.
Having never heard of them or not able to find any reviews, not sure if they are any good.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The best deal I can find at the moment is Vodafhone 20 GB PAYG for £20. They (VF) are currently capped at 25 GB a month and my intent is to just purchase some cheap data in the E.U. it cant be hard, there must be loads of PAYG deals over there too.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
This is my present provider and members may find it worth considering. Includes 48 countries too.

Thought their 50GB deals looked good, but “With our 50GB Boosts there is a cap of 14GB when using the data in the EU with roam-like-at-home. Any additional data used, over 14GB, will be charged at the standard rate of 1p a MB”

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Currently I'm seeing the Govivo at £35 the best deal for data in europe for a UK provider, as even at 1p per MB, RWG would be around £500 for 50Gb, also no need for a VPN if using local network providers which would be the obvious alternative.

As said we used a shed load of data, otherwise there are many other options for lower users, even with my new Vodafone contract I receive 25Gb while roaming, only concern is I know nothing about Govivo!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Currently I'm seeing the Govivo at £35 the best deal for data in europe for a UK provider, as even at 1p per MB, RWG would be around £500 for 50Gb, also no need for a VPN if using local network providers which would be the obvious alternative.

As said we used a shed load of data, otherwise there are many other options for lower users, even with my new Vodafone contract I receive 25Gb while roaming, only concern is I know nothing about Govivo!!
I have just used over 100 gb on my Vodaphone 120 gb a month deal in my four weeks over in Spain.Where does the 25 gb come from? Are you on unlimited? BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thought their 50GB deals looked good, but “With our 50GB Boosts there is a cap of 14GB when using the data in the EU with roam-like-at-home. Any additional data used, over 14GB, will be charged at the standard rate of 1p a MB”
My post that you refer to was aimed at txt and calls only. I will use this provider for this service in the E.U. and a different sim card fro. A gifferent provider for data when in the E.U..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The best deal I can find at the moment is Vodafhone 20 GB PAYG for £20. They (VF) are currently capped at 25 GB a month and my intent is to just purchase some cheap data in the E.U. it cant be hard, there must be loads of PAYG deals over there too.
Plusnet (on EE network) are £10 for 20GB (22GB if you have Plusnet broadband) and only a 30 day contract, I have 14 GB for £8, & the boss 6 GB for £6.

Edit:
Just noticed you were refering to PAYG.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have just used over 100 gb on my Vodaphone 120 gb a month deal in my four weeks over in Spain.Where does the 25 gb come from? Are you on unlimited? BUSBY.
Fair play to you Busby and enjoy that while it lasts. Vodafone definitely capped at 25 GB per month. Keep stumm.

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
My previous Vodaphone contract did allow 100Gb in Europe, unfortunately this came to an end last month, they removed the £20/month discount that we had for the last two years, and as I think others have said new contracts appear to have the 25Gb limit applied, so enjoy while you still have it, unless of course you have managed to negotiate a better contract.

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I've been looking at European networks, and while data contracts are there, they appear to be lower data allowances, and I've not seen any unlimited data offers, they may be there I've just not found them, though bear in mind if you use a European provider you may need a VPN to access any UK services.
If you do come across any good EU data plans please let us know

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Cheap enough, if you use it.....

Requirements​

To keep your account and SIM active, just make at least one £10 top-up every 120 days.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Cheap enough, if you use it.....

Requirements​

To keep your account and SIM active, just make at least one £10 top-up every 120 days.
Correct! That works out at £2.50 a month. Probably the best deal in the UK at present. Both me and the Boss with then and for us.....superb.

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Sorry not for me, agreed while great for the UK, I'm looking forward to going overseas again one day, and this would be horrendously expensive with our data usage, around £1000 a month

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
My previous Vodaphone contract did allow 100Gb in Europe, unfortunately this came to an end last month, they removed the £20/month discount that we had for the last two years, and as I think others have said new contracts appear to have the 25Gb limit applied, so enjoy while you still have it, unless of course you have managed to negotiate a better contract.
Just taken out a 100gb Vodafone contract (18 months) £7.97 after cashback through affordable mobiles and will also recieve £21.50 from topcashback. True it's capped at 25gb in the EU, but as Vodafone has no signal where we travel to in Spain I use a Superdrug unlimited. The Vodafone sim provides my home internet in the UK.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have a very old but serviceable Nokia 1208 which I keep as a basic back-up. As far as I'm aware all is does is make calls. It's a bit complicated to explain what I have at present so I won't, but I would like to move to a cheap non-expiring PAYG SIM. I have no preference for network. What would you recommend?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I have a very old but serviceable Nokia 1208 which I keep as a basic back-up. As far as I'm aware all is does is make calls. It's a bit complicated to explain what I have at present so I won't, but I would like to move to a cheap non-expiring PAYG SIM. I have no preference for network. What would you recommend?
If you make less than 50 minutes of calls/month then the original post in this thread is ideal.
You can't get cheaper than free.
I too also have one of these Sims it runs on the ee network and works fine. You only need to make one call every six months to keep it live.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I've been looking at European networks, and while data contracts are there, they appear to be lower data allowances, and I've not seen any unlimited data offers, they may be there I've just not found them, though bear in mind if you use a European provider you may need a VPN to access any UK services.
If you do come across any good EU data plans please let us know
I use these for a Spanish number. Their unlimited plan internet and calls is 25 euros /month, 15gb data can be used roaming. Operates on the Movistar network.

<Broken link removed>

Adrian Mudle

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I use these for a Spanish number. Their unlimited plan internet and calls is 25 euros /month, 15gb data can be used roaming. Operates on the Movistar network.

<Broken link removed>
This looks lie a great option, just need a VPN to go with this, and ideally need a list of suppliers for each EU country , as hope to head back to Croatia maybe next year once enough restrictions are lifted!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Looking for a similar PAYG using the 3 network for use as backup (dual sim phone). We have a terrible reception problem at home on Vodaphone and EE, the only thing that seems to work is the 3 simcard in the MiFi.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Looking for a similar PAYG using the 3 network for use as backup (dual sim phone). We have a terrible reception problem at home on Vodaphone and EE, the only thing that seems to work is the 3 simcard in the MiFi.
Try smarty, they piggyback 3, 30gb for £10, and no tie ons, so you can reduce/increase your data as needed/not needed.
If you want a link let me know, and I think we both get a free month.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Try smarty, they piggyback 3, 30gb for £10, and no tie ons, so you can reduce/increase your data as needed/not needed.
If you want a link let me know, and I think we both get a free month.
Yes please, looks just like what I'm after although I'll only need the minimum data plan. (I'm always up for "free" things!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back