Free members (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
So a read only member becomes a free member so do thay have the same rights as thos that pay their subs
Or do the subs paying membership prop up the free non paying members
Bill

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think they are limited as to what forums they can read. Is that the only 5 post limit and they cant private messages others.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think their limited to five post seen one post pore than that
Bill
Free members are the same as read only members and have no rights on the forum other than to read certain forum sections.
Sometimes they slip the net Bill.
It's supposed to be 5 posts or a few days but if you search very old threads there are still some green members listed years later.
The reason being they stopped posting before their time was up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think "free member" is a confusing term. Preferred the old "read only".
Why change it Jim :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
and free, non subscribing members don't get discounts and can't attend meets

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
It’s Jim’s site so Jim’s rules so I imagine He’s relaxed with how it is.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Free members are still members and some don't 'Introduce' themselves - when they do they get quite a few 'welcomes'

Recently 2 newbies came on and asked for a Brittany ferry code

I gave them both my code

The first, a lady, was so upset by the reactions by some members that she did not reply to the thread and as a result probably will not join.

The second received no criticism and joined the following day....

Just saying....

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'll help anybody at anytime, as some of you know, and that includes newbies, paid or otherwise. After having received our advice some do and some don't join - I'm okay with that but I do find it irritating that many never seem to thank anyone for, often, money saving assistance. I got caught with this a couple of years ago and although some on here were upset I just shrugged it off - but I won't get caught again.

Giving out discount codes to non-members? Hmm.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'll help anybody at anytime, as some of you know, and that includes newbies, paid or otherwise. After having received our advice some do and some don't join - I'm okay with that but I do find it irritating that many never seem to thank anyone for, often, money saving assistance. I got caught with this a couple of years ago and although some on here were upset I just shrugged it off - but I won't get caught again.

I was thanked by both newbies, one joined shortly after, the other was upset by the hostility she felt and probably won't join

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I was thanked by both newbies, one joined shortly after, the other was upset by the hostility she felt and probably won't join

It does bother me that some of the regulars on threads they start don't realise that the stirring with a big wooden spoon can actually influence people joining or not, and hence Jim's business.

Doesn't cost anything to be helpful.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In life generally, not just this forum, I try to help people wherever I can. You never know how bad a day somebody else is going through. By a small act of kindness helping them can change their day

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
LA15 The Furness Peninsular, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Day 1 will be 10th July 2019
At the risk of upsetting someone unintentionally I will submit the following for your thoughts. When I found MHF I thought "Great Forum". I introduced myself as requested and the welcome was warm. Over the next couple of days I found I couldn't open thumbnail pictures or post helpful replies to threads. As a new member I believed I had a problem with the site.
I found the contact us page, and messaged as follows...
Message Body:
When I click on a photo thumbnail to view it full size, it opens a window and tells me I have insufficient privileges to view it. Same happens when I read a thread and wish to comment. I also cannot create a thread (except for when I introduced myself) when it worked fine.
I can't find a restriction that applies to me, unless I have missed it, so your advice please.
Win10 using Chrome, and no issues with other forums.
Thanks
4 Days later I got a reply that said "A" from James Brown.
I replied...
Hi James

Emails can be such blunt instruments at times. I cannot tell if you are giving me a patronising "A" for working out the answer to my own problem, or if you had started an email and sent it by accident without completing it! I am of course assuming the latter. :)

Perhaps as a newbie to Fun, I can point out something that is not obvious to newcomers, and you old hands just take for granted. There is nothing obvious on any of the pages or stickies that I can find that say you have to pay to contribute or even look at pictures other than thumbnails. As a member of several other forums, I have never found this restriction before, and the message that says I have insufficient privileges does not point you in the right direction. It is only because I came across a post by a member who's year had expired that it gave me a clue that a subscription was required.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with paying to join, I just think it could be explained in plain English, how to become more than a read only member. Especially when there are no restrictions on posting to the introductions page, or adding comments to your original post. Perhaps a sticky at the top of the introductions page would suffice, or some changes to the help pages as they do not explain it either.

Anyway, I pick up my first MH tomorrow, so getting quite excited now!

Cheers

Martin
TinTentTourist

And I did not receive any reply at all to this message!

I think as a newbie, it is only fair to point out to you experienced chaps that some things are not as obvious from the outside as you maybe assume they are.
I only realised I needed to pay up and join only after reading a thread about a lapsed renewal not being able to post.

So at the risk of upsetting the site owner, I can only say I felt his responses (or lack of) were rude, whether intentional or not. So if the site wants to prosper, I think a few assumptions and attitudes need checking.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
in part i agree with that its not obvious when you first view that its a pay site

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I couldn't agree more Terry. It infuriates me when folks receiving help and advice don't respond politely. :mad:

Doesn't cost anything to be helpful.
Absolutely Joy, and neither does good manners. ?

Cheers,

Jock. ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
At the risk of upsetting someone unintentionally I will submit the following for your thoughts. When I found MHF I thought "Great Forum". I introduced myself as requested and the welcome was warm. Over the next couple of days I found I couldn't open thumbnail pictures or post helpful replies to threads. As a new member I believed I had a problem with the site.
Message Body:
When I click on a photo thumbnail to view it full size, it opens a window and tells me I have insufficient privileges to view it. Same happens when I read a thread and wish to comment. I also cannot create a thread (except for when I introduced myself) when it worked fine.
I can't find a restriction that applies to me, unless I have missed it, so your advice please.
Thanks
I replied...
Hi James

Emails can be such blunt instruments at times. I cannot tell if you are giving me a patronising "A" for working out the answer to my own problem, or if you had started an email and sent it by accident without completing it! I am of course assuming the latter. :)

Perhaps as a newbie to Fun, I can point out something that is not obvious to newcomers, and you old hands just take for granted. There is nothing obvious on any of the pages or stickies that I can find that say you have to pay to contribute or even look at pictures other than thumbnails. As a member of several other forums, I have never found this restriction before, and the message that says I have insufficient privileges does not point you in the right direction. It is only because I came across a post by a member who's year had expired that it gave me a clue that a subscription was required.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with paying to join, I just think it could be explained in plain English, how to become more than a read only member. Especially when there are no restrictions on posting to the introductions page, or adding comments to your original post. Perhaps a sticky at the top of the introductions page would suffice, or some changes to the help pages as they do not explain it either.

Cheers

Martin
TinTentTourist

I think as a newbie, it is only fair to point out to you experienced chaps that some things are not as obvious from the outside as you maybe assume they are.
I only realised I needed to pay up and join only after reading a thread about a lapsed renewal not being able to post.

So at the risk of upsetting the site owner, I can only say I felt his responses (or lack of) were rude, whether intentional or not. So if the site wants to prosper, I think a few assumptions and attitudes need checking.

Hi Tin Tent .. can't comment on all aspects of your post as not part of the mails, etc., but please believe it is well worth joining .. we all try and help each other not just with mh problems but anything from mortgages to broken hearts too.

As someone who is technophobic I struggle with many aspects of forums and not getting replies can be frustrating but there is usually a reason.

Anyway, welcome and can understand your excitement at picking up your mh .. Let us see photos ... thumbnail or otherwise ; )...

Regards.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Message Body:
Thanks
I replied...
Hi James

Cheers

Martin
TinTentTourist

Sorry you felt ignored. In Jim defence, he has a lot going on personally with family members in hospital away from home and another recovering from serious injury. It is also motorhome show season, where Jim attends as many shows as possible with the Fun tea tent promoting the club. It is then often not possible or practical to be online, let alone 24/7 to answer questions and maintain the site. plus your initial emails would have been sent just as Jim was under pressure following a site migration and new software

Before complaining it does help to know what is happening in the background. Sadly on this occasion Jim had a temporary lapse in his usual excellent customer service. It doesn't happen often I can assure you

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Stick with it TinTentTourist mostly a good site with helpful people and as a rule Jim runs a an excellent site.
As with all sites you may get one or two who you may chose to ignore, but with use the site will get more familiar ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Hi Sorry I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude. I've never been intentionally rude to anyone (well not for a number of years :D ) Clearly something was wrong, why would I send a message with just an "A" within.

After a recent site upgrade last month, next on the list was our ticketing system which we have been trying to splice into the forum for the last week, we are only now rebuilding the data and a considerable number of tickets were lost or corrupted, mostly old and closed but some new ones were caught. if your message fits that timeframe then I'm sure that is your answer and I can only apologise again.

As for the Subs, I find it works quite well, the subs items are not hidden but neither are they shouted about. There is a tab marked Subscriptions that everyone who hasn't subscribed can see, if they click on it there are taken here and every aspect of subs and the benefits are explained. So many people would not join if big and bold upfront it said this is a subscription site, much better for them to realise that after they appreciate that it's really worth it. That we have prospered and are easily the most successful site of its kind means that it does work.

Could it be better . Yes this place could be much more efficient, I could form rally committees, employ moderators and assistants to help run the place, but would that really make the place better? I don't think so.

You just need to have an attitude that accepts sometimes things are a bit haphazard here, but we're better for it. (y)

subs.png

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
LA15 The Furness Peninsular, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Day 1 will be 10th July 2019
Jim and others.
Thank you for your responses to my post and Jim, I didn't realise you did it all yourself! I got the impression it was a larger organisations (I think that is a compliment!). To really sod things up does require a computer or at least an upgrade of some sort, so I appreciate your circumstances now.
To all the others, Yes it is a good and friendly site, and I joined as soon as I realised the setup was not a fault of the website itself as I first thought.
And to the original post... yes, some people can appear rude, but as this case has illustrated, it is not always on purpose that folk are unable to respond... blame the computer and carry on being nice people :roflmto:

And since my registration document has still not arrived from DVLA I still have no MH :cry:

...One day soon!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back