maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Hi I’m a little confused over the term free-loaders just because somebody chooses not to go on campsite and pay fees they are deemed a free-loader, surly this is a bad use of the term. I would think a freeloader is first in the bar ,and never buys a drink?. Wild campers that I meet when I first arrived in spain, I would never class this way , and you are not seen this way by many bar and café owners ,So if you mean travellers’ say travellers and not tax payers

max

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't take the use of the term seriously. It is used here by some people as a way of winding others up - but in a nice way. I hope. A bit like making fun of Jocks, Taffs, Cockneys, or indeed any minority you care to name. Even supporters of well known football clubs have been known to be singled out.

All part of the Fun. :)

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No, not travellers but those who park with an assumption to entitlement.
Best described as piss takers. Those who hog car parking spaces for days on end, have no consideration to those around them, fill litter bins, empty waste down drains or behind bushes and generally give motorhome a bad name.
Normally these idiots cause the erection of height barriers and over zealous parking restrictions for all.
Normally to be found in Lincolnshire seaside car parks...........

But not now, they have put in height barriers and now no motorhome can visit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
You are right, it is not a very nice way to talk about somebody that enjoys the freedom of camping where they want and to enjoy the freedom of it. I have camped in some wonderful spots with not a camp site for miles just natural surroundings all around so does that make me a free-loader ?

I use campsites when they are reasonably priced, I use aires a lot but one thing I do not do is pay mega bucks per night for some caravan site miles from anywhere, I prefer to keep the mega bucks in my own pocket and spend it in other ways

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Off site camping is best done with empathy towards the views of local people.
If you think you might offend someone or be parking illegally, move somewhere discreet where you won't.
It maintains the local status quo and prevents motorhomers becoming the focus of local derision.
It's all about treading lightly. Forcing your big white box into the middle of someone's sea view will just cause the erection of height barriers and prevent even day visits for other motorhomers for ever.

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
#1 to that hogan 7777, why would anyone pay for services that they do not need?, if i wanted to be tied up to sites then i would have purchased a caravan.
When i "freeload" i usually leave my surroundings in a better state than i arrived, i.e i litter pick so no others can accuse me or motorhomers in general as being scum.
Cheers Andy.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
#1 to that hogan 7777, why would anyone pay for services that they do not need?, if i wanted to be tied up to sites then i would have purchased a caravan.
When i "freeload" i usually leave my surroundings in a better state than i arrived, i.e i litter pick so no others can accuse me or motorhomers in general as being scum.
Cheers Andy.
I think the point is that some people not only not pay for services they don't need, they also don't pay for services they do need. For instance disposing of waste in a manner which inconveniences others (or worse) or other behaviour which other people view as antisocial (as Jon describes above).
We have a number of members who camp off site (even full time in some cases) but make sure they camp in places where they don't cause inconvenience, where they don't fill litter bins so that other people can't use them and don't leave public conveniences (or drains or sand dunes for instance) in a mess &c &c.
That approach - as with your own of litter picking - is laudable. Unfortunately there are other motorhomers who act in an opposite manner. They are certainly seen by some people as freeloaders, get the rest of us a bad name and, in some cases, are the cause of banning of motorhomes.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a Freeloader and proud of it.

Almost all of the Funsters use the term as a bit of a joke in a light hearted manner...

Almost all... as you can tell from this thread, one or two use it in a horrid, insulting way but they don't worry me!

I do not normally stay on campsites... I live fulltime in my van and have done for nearly 30 years. I have never been asked to move on by anyone.

Off-Site living is so much nicer for me...

20150330_190907.jpg

20150329_142000.jpg

JJ :cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think of you as a freeloader in the derogatory sense JJ.
The fact you have camped for free for so long means you must be a master at not causing offence to the locals.
THAT is the difference! We often park ovenight for free, but not where we would cause problems for those who follow!
I feel that the term 'freeloader' in its derogatory sense applies to those who ruin things for others just to save themselves a few quid.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well look on the bright side JJ. At least its not raining. More than I can say for Liverpool today.

Reactions: JJ

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well that would be me then ( free loader ) as I spend 4 to 5 months per year touring Europe and never ever go on a campsite.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would like to draw attention to the fact that I DO NOT CAMP in my motorhome... I live in it.

There is a world of difference.

what is the difference. JJ ?

Intrigued from sunny Suffolk

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
When we first arrived in spain 11 years ago we spent 2 years living in our mh and with help converted an old barn and outbuilings in to our home sadly 11 years see friends go but what great fun and plenty of wine and no free-loaders

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
what is the difference. JJ ?

Intrigued from sunny Suffolk

Camping = outside living = damp canvas = squatting over Camping Gas stoves = tables and chairs out
= wandering off to some campsite toilet and/or shower used by total strangers = going home at the end of the holiday etc etc etc.

Motorhome living = comfortable arm chairs = blown air, thermostatically controlled central heating = air conditioning in the summer = using your very own onboard sinks, shower and toilet = cooker, oven, fridge and grill and, of course, your Fray Bentos Pie store.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When we first arrived in spain 11 years ago we spent 2 years living in our mh and with help converted an old barn and outbuilings in to our home sadly 11 years see friends go but what great fun and plenty of wine and no free-loaders
If you publish your address, offer unlimited wine and I suspect the "no free-loaders" could be corrected!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Free-loading...... expecting something for nothing and taking no responsibility for their actions. Generally no appreciation for their surroundings and leaving a mess.

Wilding - treading the ground lightly with appreciation for the surrounding beauty and taking nothing but photos and memories, leaving nothing but, perhaps, a bent blade of grass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back