FREE CAMP OR WILD CAMP (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We ,over 15 years , have done all types of camping.When people say they wild camp on the Costa's I call it free camping.We have done it often including this winter but when we have "wild camped" I think it is different.Too many here to avoid neighbours and often on some patch of waste ground.
Our truly wild camp moments have been beaches and Baragems in Portugal north of Lisbon,Western Isles of Scotland and a month in Iceland.
Just us and the views.
Wild camp/free camp ,two different things.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
72B72C1F-BC2A-4545-89F3-632B1BBBA120.jpeg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I mostly stay "Off-Site" in my motorhome.

Sometimes these places are in the "wilds" and sometimes they are not.

I do NOT "camp" in my van... I live in it.

My motorhome is not a recreational vehicle.

It is my home.

I have lived this alternative, simple lifestyle for several decades now.

I LOVE it.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yeh, off site or boon docking works just as well as free camping.We ,mostly,have all done various amounts of it .We,mostly,have all done truly wild living/camping .Just suggesting they are two different experiences.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Always been puzzled by the term 'camping' when referring to living in a caravan or motorhome..

Camping for me as a youngster was holidays in a tent.. and wild camping was camping in the wild in a two man tent when hiking.

Caravanning was holidays in a caravan

In the the UK, traditionally, Camp sites where for tents, Caravan sites were for caravans, rarely did they mix,
The Caravan Club did not allow tents,(except trailer tents) the Camping and Caravan Club allows both.

Then I travelled abroad and discovered that a 'camping site' was for both tents and caravans.. that threw me..

So back to the OP question.. foe me, it's not camping and it's not wild, I call it 'off site parking' .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I call it using my motorhome for what it was intended.
As a mobile home .....that is built and designed to be self sufficient and park anywhere.

The idea of going to a site and parking in neat little rows closer than you would be in your house to your neighbours but with thinner walls so they can hear you fart in your sleep is my idea of hell :)
I park out in the wilds but I still don't think it's wildcamping.
Anything to do with a motorhome is not camping to be honest wherever you do it.
I also don't see it as freeloading or free parking.
The world belongs to everyman I haven't see the receipts from those who claim to have bought it from mother earth :)
As long as I fit in the space and do no harm then as far as I'm concerned I'm the same as a bicycle just a bit bigger.

I don't follow the crowd with campsites....but I also don't follow the crowd in parking somewhere for months or somewhere I'm not wanted and leaving a mess behind.

My van wasn't designed to sit on a site plugged in to electric if it was then everything on board would be 240v and not 12v
It's designed to be mobile.
Everyone uses them differently

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I call it using my motorhome for what it was intended.
As a mobile home .....that is built and designed to be self sufficient and park anywhere.

My van wasn't designed to sit on a site plugged in to electric if it was then everything on board would be 240v and not 12v
It's designed to be mobile.
Everyone uses them differently

Tam

I liked all your post, but especially the line about electrics. I have never been on EHU in 8 years, except when we have left the MH stored at friends' houses while we fly back home.

Geoff

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
The world belongs to everyman I haven't see the receipts from those who claim to have bought it from mother earth :)
Hi.
Before you go away again in your Mo/ho,you will have to attend a course in "Gender reassignment ?:eek:"
With ref to "The world belongs to........Everyman." Now,you and i know this is true,but to keep the peace in our house,i let Jennifer think she is boss......"What's that dearest?.....Coming!"
Tea Bag(y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As long as I fit in the space and do no harm then as far as I'm concerned I'm the same as a bicycle just a bit bigger

that is built and designed to be self sufficient and park anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned I'm using my van as it was designed and intended. In that I don't go anywhere near camp sites and continually tour, stopping every night wherever I can . Why anyone would want to go to the expense of buying a motorhome and not a caravan simply to drive it to a camp site and plug in to an ECU is beyond me ---- and don't get me started on dragging a car BEHIND it?
These are Campervans not Caravans.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I love this kind of “popcorn” post where many folk asserts their opinion in the absolute certainty that only their definition of the subject is the correct one.
People buy motorhomes for many and varied reasons and their usage is equally diverse. It doesn’t mean that how they use it is “wrong”, it’s right for them and as they’ve spent their hard earned on it, my opinion, for what it’s worth; is that they can use it in whatever manner they please. Whether that’s on electric hook up sitting on their driveway 365 days a year and “camping” in it at weekends, endlessly touring and never seeing a campsite, or anything in between.
Just my opinion though:whistle:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi.
Before you go away again in your Mo/ho,you will have to attend a course in "Gender reassignment ?:eek:"
With ref to "The world belongs to........Everyman." Now,you and i know this is true,but to keep the peace in our house,i let Jennifer think she is boss......"What's that dearest?.....Coming!"
Tea Bag(y)
I do not have this problem ....en mi casa estoy el jeffa

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Which ever way folk use their 'campers', it ought not be a way that encourages scorn to be poured on the rest of us.
Try to be unobtrusive and leave nothing behind. UK camp sites are for those who like to be tethered to the mains. I chose not to equip myself for that, so that I could enjoy greater freedom.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just a reminder if the word camping is what your doing it's illegal. :eek:

Screenshot_20180217-141102.jpg

The trouble is we all do it, @JJ is always telling us off when we hang the washing out.:rolleyes:
But we do try and be in out the way places, and not had a problem. ;) it's not what you do, it's where you do it. :D
I have advised many here in Javea, and it's a case of I'm dumping my cassette because I'm Off. :(
It's a wonder anyone can stop anywhere, and the way thing are going that's the way it will be. :cry:
One or two can spoil it for many. :) Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
UK camp sites are for those who like to be tethered to the mains.

We use sites in the the UK, generally Cls because they are relative cheap, relatively secure and you can enjoy sitting out, have a place to enjoy eating and relaxing, leave the van and go for a cycle or a walk .. etc.

Certainly not interested in being "tethered to the mains" Even when it is provided and included with the pitch fee, I don't bother.. no need when you have ample solar, don't take ANY 240v appliances, not even a kettle. Last time we were on one the owner came out and asked why we hadn't hooked up.. I said we didn't need it and we were also able to choose a spot well away from the EHU posts..

so just because we use sites doesn't make us slaves to mains .. for me it's much nicer than sitting in a dusty bit of land, or rammed up next to each other on the promenade.. but then again they are not free.. which can be a major stumbling block for some..

tethered NOT to the mains.. somewhere in Wales.. £4 per night

DSCF1945.jpg

Last edited:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Americans call it Boon docking.

It's still freeloading.

IMHO, "freeloading" implies avoiding paying for something that should be paid for.
I can "Boondock" or "Wildcamp" without disadvantaging my fellow humans. I can still pay to upload water and to offload waste, and I can find peace and beauty without ruining it for others.

Just a reminder if the word camping is what your doing it's illegal.

I think the image shows that it's only illegal if it's specifically prohibited - i.e. camping where only parking is allowed. There are many many places you can "camp" without contravening parking regulations. (As an aside, there has been mention on here that certain municipalities have been taken to task regarding their attempts to prohibit motorhomes from parking and have had to relent - La Rochelle?)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@WSandME Interesting post, you could make a fortune with that information. :D
Apart from common land I can't think any other land that you could camp on without the land owners permission.
You here about this piece of waste land, but I should think someone will own it. :)
Bob.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I always smile when someone says that do not go on sites because it’s too regimented or don’t wish to be parked in a row but are then prepared to park up with a van 3ft either side and not having anywhere to sit out just because it’s free.
Well, I enjoy my 6 months stay on a 100m2 serviced pitch at La Manga, I enjoy having somewhere to sit out in the sun and I enjoy towing my Citroen C1 on a trailer behind my panel van. All for £10 a night.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@WSandME Interesting post, you could make a fortune with that information. :D
Apart from common land I can't think any other land that you could camp on without the land owners permission.
You here about this piece of waste land, but I should think someone will own it. :)
Bob.
And they need to tell me from who they bought it because like many if you go back far enough they actually stole it.

In my old hippy mind that's enough for me

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20180216_184840.jpg
20180203_144205.jpg
20180130_162748.jpg
20180116_105626.jpg
20171124_124355.jpg
20171109_161825.jpg
20170930_173104.jpg
6 months in one place id rather rent an apartment

I prefer freedom

I always smile when someone says that do not go on sites because it’s too regimented or don’t wish to be parked in a row but are then prepared to park up with a van 3ft either side and not having anywhere to sit out just because it’s free.
Well, I enjoy my 6 months stay on a 100m2 serviced pitch at La Manga, I enjoy having somewhere to sit out in the sun and I enjoy towing my Citroen C1 on a trailer behind my panel van. All for £10 a night.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have noticed from your posts that you like to park up on your own, there are many others though who don’t.
Granted but I guess if they have to chose between being parked so close free and parked so close for €10+ euros a night I can see why they do it

I also prefer to find a proper aire when I need to for water and waste etc but I see many cycling or walking back and forth with many many bottles to find free water sometimes a mile away......some of those in very very expensive motor homes

But it's each to there own ......my only objection is if they are ruining the area or leaving a mess otherwise it's their choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back