Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Free AVG or Avast anti virus which is best?

Can you run both?

R

reader

Deleted User
I have never used Avast, but people who use it seem to swear by it.
AVG Free has grown into quite a large program now with a huge following, including me on my Linux machine where choice is limited. I would have no problems suggesting its use.
You might however also look at AntiVir which is available as free or paid for (like AVG) and we use this on the windoze machine.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Free AVG or Avast anti virus which is best?

Can you run both?

Hi John,

It's not good to run multiple antivirus' on a machine.Apart from the performance hit.

I have come across both on customer machines and personally have run AVG Free on my PCs for a couple of years now with no problems at all.

I do run Zonealarm and Windows defender as well with occasional scans using Spybot and Malwarebytes.

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
AVG has not let me down since being reccomended to me by my bro in law many years ago. Its grown well sinc then.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'v been using AVG FREE for around 4 years and have never been let down by it.

i'm now on AVG 8 (free version)and cant see any need to change.:thumb:

Resident shield is working in the background all the time and nothing nasty has got past it YET!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I run avg and zone alarm - both free and both recommended by fellow motorhome funsters.

Apart from tracking software which is always identified in avg, I have had no computer crashes or viruses etc. I previously had norton free with my broadband provider, but it kept crashing my system so I then paid for mcafee and kept having problems.

No problems since avg and zone alarm

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
When I was fixing a relatives PC that was full of viruses/spyware/malware & just about everything that could screw it up. I downloaded the full version of AVG which you can run as a limited time trial, this gave a few more options than the free one. After I was all done I deleted it & put the free one on. I also used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Spy Bot both free programs. Then a few registry tools such as RegistryBooster 2, RegCure & Max Registry Cleaner.
What I did find was a couple of downloaded videos would report they needed a new codec to play, this went to a site wich downloaded spyware. It took a while but I did eventually clean the PC.

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Anti Virus

Hi John,

I have used and liked both AGV and Zone Alarm, I used to reccomend Norton to all my clients until 2006 when it started to use up too many processes and slowed the computer down too much and still offered less protection than some free solutions.

I have been drawn away from AVG recently since they stopped offering dynamic coverage with their free solutions, although many swear by it, I recently went to a client who had AVG installed and 8 viruses with it that were not stopped as they gained access to the machine due to lack of dynamic coverage.

I have been testing Comodo recently, they have produced a full free release rather than the known Beta version and it seems to work dynamicly very well and comes with a built in Firewall. It works and I would recomend it even though it takes a little while to learn your habbits. Try it AntiVirus Download Comodo Free Anti Virus Software Internet Security

Best Regards,

Mark.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I run avg and zone alarm - both free and both recommended by fellow motorhome funsters.

No problems since avg and zone alarm
Been a long time user of Zone Alarm and found it very good. Version 7 is better than 8.

However i'm now running AVG since replacing the hard drive over the weekend and on formatting and installing windows, i could not get ZA to work (kept disconnecting my internet connection), so after spending hours trying to get the damn thing sorted i gave up and downloaded AVG from here;

Link Removed

So far so good.....only had it installed a couple of days but seems to be ok. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back