Fraudulent motorhome listings on ebay (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
we are looking for a replacement used van soon and have been following new listings of certain models on eBay.
Almost every day, I get an alert that new vans have been listed and most of these are fraudulent
There seems to be one person who keeps listing Hymers, Autotrails, VW's and others, usual buy it now price is around £4000 or so and the latest user name is Strutkil0.
I keep reporting them, they are removed and the guy relists them under another new name.
All the items have "read description" in brackets after the title.
If anyone has any spare time, can you report this please, I'm getting bored with getting the same new fraudulent listings every day!
Hopefully, if loads of people keep reporting him, he'll give up.
Oh, and we are looking for a used 1990's Hymer or similar.

Deleted User
I went through a spell of reporting them to ebay but as you say they get posted back up again the next day. Ebay don't put much effort into removing them as they are not responsible for any scams. I spoke to a guy who worked for trading standards and he was trying to collect evidence on these scam ads and was intending to use the information to put forward a case for a change in the law so that the likes of Ebay and Gumtree would be held responsible if someone was a victim of a scam advert on their websites. Perhaps it may be worth complaining to your local trading standards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Good point about TS, It would be easier if you could just report the seller to eBay rather than each item though, especially as this seems to be becoming more common, I guess the scammers think the more items they advertise in one go, the more change they have of finding someone to part with cash!
You would think eBay would be looking at these sort of scams and take action earlier.

It looks like the ones I have reported have been taken down now

Deleted User
Good point about TS, It would be easier if you could just report the seller to eBay rather than each item though, especially as this seems to be becoming more common, I guess the scammers think the more items they advertise in one go, the more change they have of finding someone to part with cash!
You would think eBay would be looking at these sort of scams and take action earlier.

It looks like the ones I have reported have been taken down now
I bet they are back again tomorrow

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty obvious they are fake, just don't part with any money till you have seen the van and even then make sure they are at home, if they want to work by email or bring you the van just leave it and also the big one , if it is thousands of pounds cheaper than the equivalent motor just don't get involved , and if western union is mentioned :(

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It's not just motorhomes, but cars and motorcycles are also on Ebay as fraudulent sales, as mentioned EBay don't seem to concerned.

I wouldn't dream of spending thousands of pounds on something from EBay with first seeing the item.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Just out of interest, will someone post a link to a fake advert please. I just looked through mh sales £0 to £6000 and didn't spot anything to concern over.

I could do with a bit of education as to what to look out for!

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I'll post a link when I next see one, shouldn't be long!
I would never dream of paying for anything till I can get my grubby hands on it, and check it's what it says it is. Just annoyed because I am following a few makes and every time new ones are listed I get an alert, and most of the alerts are newly listed scam sales.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I saw one yesterday with feedback of 42. He was selling all sorts of vehicles including a 1998 Bentley Turbo for just over £5k
I was tempted.......

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just out of interest, will someone post a link to a fake advert please. I just looked through mh sales £0 to £6000 and didn't spot anything to concern over.

I could do with a bit of education as to what to look out for!
This is a fraudulent listing:

What you're looking for is the completely unrealistic asking price, scant details - but an email address to contact for more info & photos

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
This is the same person, using a new used name but listing the same vehicles. They always put 'read description' in the title and add their email address in the item description
Just starting to report them all now.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a fraudulent listing:

What you're looking for is the completely unrealistic asking price, scant details - but an email address to contact for more info & photos
Which one are we looking at, the link just brings up loads

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
The thing is I think EBAY aren't that bothered and leave it to Joe public to report them as it save's them employing someone to do it. They are normally listed Friday then removed as they are reported, then they remove the rest on Monday. I don't rarely understand what they are fishing for email, gullible people, who's got £4000 to send them. But it must be worth the hassle or else they would't bother.

Tosser,s
:groan::groan::groan::groan::groan:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Gumtree can be as baad, but are quicker to remove the bogus ones when notified.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I flicked through loads too but all seem straight

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Don't worry about the scams @John & Joan have their 1992 Hymer S700 for sale in the "Vans For Sale" and for the price, considering the condition and fitted extras, it would seem hard to beat - and it is definitely for sale at the quoted price and where he says it is. If I did not have the TREK I would be going to see it pretty quick.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I know, I salivate over it regularly, but it's just too far for me to travel at the moment, we are in France till September, I doubt it will still be for sale then

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ebay is absolute rubbish now i bid and won an auction yestarday and the seller just cancelled the bids
another item i was watching which had a buy it now or offers type listing just kept upping the buy it now price i assume this is cheaper on ebay fees than auctioning it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back