Frankia... What’s the Build Quality Like? (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I seem to have developed an interest in Frankia motorhomes. I’d be interested in Funsters’ views on the build quality.

How do they compare to other premium brands? We’ve currently got a Carthago Chic C-Line (coachbuilt version) and, in our opinion, the build quality is pretty good.

We’re a bit nervous about investing lots of cash in a reasonably new Frankia without doing a bit more research... any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We have looked at quite a few over the last year and they are very well built

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We've had a 2010 I8400 (Mercedes chassis) since 2013 and am impressed by the build quality. I would have another.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
3 years in and very happy with ours. Only issues have been led light strip and the Hartal door screen creased.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I have had two Frankias, of 2008 (Holiday Class) and 2010 (Luxury Class) vintages. I now have a Carthago Chic e-line (2017). All three are A-class and built on Fiats.

The build quality on the Frankias is very good but I think the Carthago is stronger. For example, where the chassis dashboard is joined to the A-class body, the 2010 Frankia seemed to be mainly bonded, whereas the Carthago has substantial steel corner braces. Also, on the Carthago the furniture has some proper joinery, making it very strong but nearly impossible find cable routes, etc. On the other hand, some of the design elements of the Frankia are better than the Carthago, such as the table, which expands and also slides away between the cab seats when required. There is also a virtually continuous double floor space in the Frankia, which the Carthago does not have.

I was actively looking for another Frankia when we stumbled across the Carthago, so I was certainly prepared to have another one, and it's possible that the benefits of one over the other are based as much on build dates as on the makes.

One significant drawback for Frankia (IMHO) is that there is only one UK dealer (at least, that was the case two years ago); that dealer caused me to look at other makes.

OP
OP
G7UXG
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Thanks @Cavs

For us, the lounge in the Carthagos is a little bit tight, especially in our 'T' class. I've measured the distance from the dashboard to the bulkhead between the kitchen and the lounge in a few Carthagos and it seems to be about the same size, even in the longer Carthagos. The lounge in the Frankias, or certainly the larger ones (840 etc), seem to be a bit more generous. The kitchen also seems a better designed in some of the Frankias.

Having got used to the build quality and the lack of rattles and squeaks in the Carthago, I'd be disappointed if I bought a Frankia and it didn't match up. I guess the only way to find out is to try and drive one for a few miles.

Just one Frankia dealer is a drawback... not enough competition. Not many used ones for sale nationally either, except in SMC.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
@G7UXG Yes, I agree with you about the lounge; the Frankia lounge is better than the Carthago for similar size vans. There are two reasons for this, I think. One is the table, the other is the cab seats swivelling, which is awkward on the Carthago. I don't know if this is due to the bulk of the cushions, or because the lounge seats are a bit farther forward. Feet up lounging was an essential requirement, which both meet well.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have an i640SD and very pleased with the quality. I did think when I bought it, that the sliding table might be a nuisance but in practice I do like it.

I prefer this Frankia to my 3 previous Hymers.

Jim

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We were close to buying a Frankia from SMC last year but we had a last minute change of heart and bought a PVC from them instead.

If we do continue with this motorhome hobby of ours then I'm sure a Frankia will become our next van as I think the brand is truely tip-top.

It's a bit geographically challenging for some having only one UK-based dealer but IMO that just reinforces the exclusive nature of the brand.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Frankia used to be part of the pilote group have they separated and become totally independant now ? or still part of pilote group

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Frankia used to be part of the pilote group have they separated and become totally independant now ? or still part of pilote group

It's still all one happy family ;)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
To echo what everyone else has said - have only heard good things about Frankia build quality both on here & Facebook Groups. We haven't owned one so don't have personal experience.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Our 2007 was around the fire, rushed out of production.

Shocking build quality, even put together with broken parts. Seriously put me off another.

Shame, because it had a cracking layout and the bathroom Vario door was a brilliant design.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Frankia QD7900 (Merc) platin plus for 4 years now - over 40k miles with 4 winters skiing.
No major issues but a few niggles which either I or SMC have sorted.
Only PITA is ABS sensors have failed twice in Germany which can lead to the engine entering limp mode - not great on a busy motorway.
I love it and would buy it again. - with all the included bits the platin plus was fair value (if anything over £130k can be considered value).
New Frankias seem a little more flimsy to my eye.
I think any MH will have some problems, but overall the build quality and design of Frankia beats Hymer (just) and lies below Concorde or Morello

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know if it is on the full range but one thing I like about Frankia is the fibreglass bodywork.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That has occurred to me. Part-exing a right-hand-drive Carthago may be a bit of an issue though and I don't know if I can be bothered trying to sell it privately.
You will only be able to part ex a LHD abroad but once you have made the switch to LHD trade in prices are so much higher than the UK.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I've owned my Frankia I640 for 3 years and full timed for two years, motorhome is 12 years old and built like a tank, no missing or loose handles and everything works like new. Would definitely buy another.

Attachments

• 20170521_134601.jpg
    20170521_134601.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 131
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
I've got a Frankia 6400BD - A class Mercedes with auto gearbox.

Its a late 2009 model but the build quality is so much better than the (2017) Burstner I part exchanged when purchasing it.

Double floor gives loads of storage.

So more solid, it doesn't feel like the hinges will fall off every time you shut a cupboard.

Mine will be up for sale shortly (as we have purchased an apartment in Spain) We are in Penkridge if you want to check a Frankia out.

OP
OP
G7UXG
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Thanks @Deanobeano

I was looking at an 840GD but, due to the dealer's lack of interest in doing a deal, I'm now looking elsewhere. I only wish there was more choice of Frankia dealers in the UK.

Still quite impressed with the Frankia though and may re-visit in the idea in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back