Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I am toying with a 3 week break in France in june travelling down to villeneuve sur lot to see some old friends and then touring around sightseeing and general poodling as one does, as I have never driven in France can anyone offer some advice or tips I will be the only driver as my wife likes to watch me driving :Blush::RollEyes:what sort of stuff do I really need to have apart from a motorhome and money :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Don't forget hi-viz vests for each passenger, kept within reach at all times :thumb:

and plenty of loose change

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Mike,
The obvious thing that springs to mind is a continental 2-pin hook-up adaptor. These are available from any decent motorhome retailler and only cost a few quid.
Enjoy your trip!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... and a corkscrew :Cool:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, we went in June last year for 4 weeks ( first time ) was great off again but for longer and more often this year.

Have a look on the AA motoring and / caravan club web sites ( or just google driving in France ) you will get loads of info on kit you must carry, speed limits, tolls and much more. oh... breakdown cover including on french toll roads as this is often not covered by std cover.

Phill:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS. have a bit of a read on reverse polarity and get a lead made up, we needed it twice last year.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We go to France for June as well

We are off to France again this year in June and also September. I would suggest a copy of the ACSI .. gets you discounts on camp sites.

Join ADAC for breakdown cover and it is cheaper than a lot - has 17m members, hunt out previous post.. also it covers a lot of other things like illness etc., German based but can use it int he UK and all over Europe less than £100 for a year.

Good power leads and as said a two pin converter plug.

Will need hi viz jackets which you have to have on if you get out on a motorway or duel carriageway. Warning triangles.. breatherliser kit ..

A prepaid credit card such as those provided by Caxton FX if you want to buy fuel at night off the motorways (saves all the UK bank charges or credit card charges) .. you pre load it with euros and can be used like a credit card and get cash out on it.. but it is the night time fuel most motor home users get it for.

N or National routes are very good in France.. motorways you pay a toll (on most) and that is expensive.. roads are much lighter traffic wise than the UK. watch the speed ..speed reduces as you approach a village and often within.

Bob

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Poss sat nav, or good map, aires book or campsite directory. remember when approaching villages in france the road sign denoteing village name is the speed restriction and then on leaving village ,sign is the opposite frence police v strict. We have been 5 or 6 times to france always using aires I put the map ref into sat nav found them ranging from very good to poor ,mostly in villages not in tourist areas are free some with free electric , Personally I find it easier to drive over there wish I was going again this year, but we are off to wales for 3 weeks. Hope you enjoy it over there as much as we do, Have a good trip. Terry

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
If your MH is RHD you might like to fit a wing mirror extension on the passenger side, which will be your offside in France, of course. Milenco make a good one which clamps securely to the existing mirror housing and gives that vital extra visibility at critical points. Fitted mine after a very scary near miss in Spain last year.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Bonjour! Je voudrais ça (I would like this ...point out!) S'il vous plait ... Merci .... Au revoir! ... Show a bit of respect and kindness ... And ....That should do for the first time ::bigsmile::winky:

Drive safely... and watch out ...it is full of mad frogs :Blush::Blush:eek:ver there (I even know one who drove once with one hand filming with the other hand.... would you believe it was one of these stupid female .... french ....!!!!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:....:ROFLMAO:)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:....:roflmto:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
France-ite

Hi all the above, lived in St Matre for a couple of years, visit Cahors, Sat market.
Whole of Midi Pyrenees is kin brill.
Enjoy, wild parking is at prem in summer, why don't you try going May or Sept.
Lovely jubbly.:roflmto:

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Alas I am ruled by wifes employers NHS I can go anytime as I am a retired old hector so June is favourite by default :winky:

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Bonjour! Je voudrais ça (I would like this ...point out!) S'il vous plait ... Merci .... Au revoir! ... Show a bit of respect and kindness ... And ....That should do for the first time ::bigsmile::winky:

Drive safely... and watch out ...it is full of mad frogs :Blush::Blush:eek:ver there (I even know one who drove once with one hand filming with the other hand.... would you believe it was one of these stupid female .... french ....!!!!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:....:ROFLMAO:)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:....:roflmto:

Merci Bien, Frankie I think I will like France if the people are like you what a kind gesture earlier today with old mo and his bogus e.mails :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back