France (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The vast majority of people are reporting no issues at all. One or two are just intent on maintaining the fear.

Your going to France! All usual sensible precautions just as you would in the UK is all you need.

Have a great holiday as I will soon......
Could you put that theory to the test........and wild camp in the centre of Marseilles ;)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Could you put that theory to the test........and wild camp in the centre of Marseilles ;)
Well I wont be going to Marsellies any time soon just as I wont be going to any large UK city, and I won't be advocating wild camping in France either. However I will going to France at least three times this year, by tunnel and ferry, as I did last year and I will have a lovely time just as virtually all motorhomers do when they visit France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Last January we wanted to come back via DFDS from Dunkirk at about 6 in the evening. It was pitch black and on the way to the terminal we had to stop at a level crossing. Next minute we had immigrants climbing all over the back of the bus trying to get in. Had to chase them away with a baseball bat. When we got into the DFDS terminal there seemed to be no protection overnight waiting for the ferry next morning. We decided to drive to Calais and use the tunnel instead, we parked up for the night within the tunnel facilities, safe and without any problems. It will be a long time before I use the DFDS ferry again. Not until there is more security in place.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi there spd,
I came back through Dunkirk to Calais two weeks ago,no problems at all not a migrant in sight.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Hi there spd,
I came back through Dunkirk to Calais two weeks ago,no problems at all not a migrant in sight.
Is that because they have all been moved away from that area now, you think?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not sure what the law of self defence is in France. Despite the BS, In the UK you can do someone quite a serious bit of harm in self defence if they are in or on your property!!!

So long as the 'force' used is 'reasonable'. In other words, 'just enough' in the circumstances.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We came through Dunkirk about 11 days ago ,there were no immigrants to be seen ,we were checked by two sets of guards

I did read on the news that those who lived in the jungle are now dossing under bridges in Paris ,there have been clashes with neo Nazis and the cops have been trying to keep the peace

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
Well we on our way to calais as i type (on A16) . We on the tunnel crossing home tomorrow morning at 10.30am we will report back our experiance. last year was fine so we doing the same thing and time this year.

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
Hiya back in uk parked up M25 with a brew . As there was "tecnical problems" yeaterday with the tunnel having delays we decided to turn up bit earlyer as have jasper to go through the pets bit. We drove strait through the new pets bit got saw strait away. Went strait through passport and went shopping for wine we were bit earlyer so ended up on hour earlyer train free of charge. We saw not one migrent at all not even on apporoach to the euro tunnel seem to all be gone. Was even easyer this time than last time last year . So dont panic people its ok. We stopped overnight before crossing on the Wissant Aires which was plesent bit road noise but was good nights sleep as went very quiet late on and oly 15 mins drive to Calais in the morning. :)

Reactions: kip
Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Returned a couple of weeks ago - tunnel both ways. No sign of any migrants - just miles of new white fencing!!!

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Came to France on the tunnel on Friday afternoon, not a migrant in sight. went to the Lidl at the cite europe, and then to the new petrol station (1.06 euro for diesel). Chatting to the guy who works on the tunnel, he was saying that the problems of last year have all settled down since the new security.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I read somewhere that Dieppe was the new campsite but as we haven't travelled that route for years I have no real knowledge only rumours.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I read somewhere that Dieppe was the new campsite but as we haven't travelled that route for years I have no real knowledge only rumours.
The Dieppe - Newhaven route is quite small fish compared to Dover. A bit surprised they have moved there as there are fewer ferries running. Having said that i suppose the security won't be anywhere near as tight either. Watch this space?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
FRIENDS USED DIEPPE LAST WEEKEND,,No sign of immigrants,,very quiet,,,BUSBY.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
snip> I won't be advocating wild camping in France either. <snip>

Well I do! Many truly delightful wilding spots in the Ille-et-Vilaine alone.

As for ferry routes and migrants, the issue probably diminishes the further west you go, though I did read a report some time ago of one having stowed away in a motorhome on the Roscoff-Plymouth crossing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back