Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi All!

This week end will be tough on the French roads as the 3 Zones in France are on hols:

Zone A has its last week end so coming back home
Zone B Is on its second week hols so some will go away to ski
Zone C is starting its 2 weeks holidays

So a maximum of people on the roads today which is marked "black day"
Tomorrow should be better
IF ONLY SNOW WAS NOT THERE TO MAKE THINGS MORE COMPLICATED

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-faits-divers/meteo-france-place-cinq-departements-en-alerte-a-la-neige-et-au-verglas-7776688009

Chains will be compulsory , so don't try to get through if you don't have any , you'll be stopped.
Snow is going to fall in the East, check the map!

On the West side there is another major problem : Huge tides!

Don't stay next to the Atlantic coast all week end!!
To give you an idea , Mont Saint Michel is right now under the water, no way to get in , the gate is already under the water.

There are 14 meters (a bout six floor building) between the low-tide and the high-tide.

Waves will be huge, and as the weather is rubbish it's one of the worst place of the territory at the moment.
Just be sensible and stay quiet in a secure place, you'll move on, on Monday!

Happy and safe travels

Amicalement

Frankie;)(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi All!

This week end will be tough on the French roads as the 3 Zones in France are on hols:

Zone A has its last week end so coming back home
Zone B Is on its second week hols so some will go away to ski
Zone C is starting its 2 weeks holidays

So a maximum of people on the roads today which is marked "black day"
Tomorrow should be better
IF ONLY SNOW WAS NOT THERE TO MAKE THINGS MORE COMPLICATED

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-faits-divers/meteo-france-place-cinq-departements-en-alerte-a-la-neige-et-au-verglas-7776688009

Chains will be compulsory , so don't try to get through if you don't have any , you'll be stopped.
Snow is going to fall in the East, check the map!

On the West side there is another major problem : Huge tides!

Don't stay next to the Atlantic coast all week end!!
To give you an idea , Mont Saint Michel is right now under the water, no way to get in , the gate is already under the water.

There are 14 meters (a bout six floor building) between the low-tide and the high-tide.

Waves will be huge, and as the weather is rubbish it's one of the worst place of the territory at the moment.
Just be sensible and stay quiet in a secure place, you'll move on, on Monday!

Happy and safe travels

Amicalement

Frankie;)(y)

Thanks a lot Frankie :)...just what I want to be reading before we head off to Spain next Tuesday, but hopefully all clear by then...please? o_O.

Now I'm about to tell you that we're not going by way of the western route, or straight down past you in Toulouse, sorry :(. I want to see that very, very very very very big bridge ;) so, we're, (he gulps) hoping to be going by way of Nevers, Clermont Ferrand and Millau.

Now I'm off to make another coffee and really hoping your not going to reply saying "oh know...not that way!!" ;).

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just remind me before you leave, well the day before, and I'll see if you're ok.
Centre France next to Millau is probably the coldest part of France but I'm sure you'll be fine. I won't let you go that way if anything dangerous like snow shows up. Sorry I know nothing about nuclear wars:p!

Have a nice time, that big bridge is well worth a look!

And don't you worry about not going through Toulouse....;)

Frankie
:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just remind me before you leave, well the day before, and I'll see if you're ok.
Centre France next to Millau is probably the coldest part of France but I'm sure you'll be fine. I won't let you go that way if anything dangerous like snow shows up. Sorry I know nothing about nuclear wars:p!

Have a nice time, that big bridge is well worth a look!

And don't you worry about not going through Toulouse....;)

Frankie
:cool:

Thanks Frankie, I will try to find out from you when we we pull over for the night at or near Orleans, probably about Wednesday, or maybe Thursday (y)

Dave and Ginny :)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
I'll leave Frankie to give you the news about the weather in the middle of next week, but why don't you travel south on the A20 which should present no problems, and do the bridge on the way back? The Millau/Clermont route is well known for being affected by snow and ice because it is a very high road. One of the reasons that we stay open all year is because many use the A20 route south or north at this time of year, and we have Funsters on site now, and if you come this way you're welcome to stopover with us. The water is on, the showers are hot, the wifi is free, and you get a Funster discount too!
Have a safe journey whichever route you choose.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
but why don't you travel south on the A20 which should present no problems, and do the bridge on the way back? The Millau/Clermont route is well known for being affected by snow and ice because it is a very high road. The water is on, the showers are hot, the wifi is free, and you get a Funster discount too!
Have a safe journey whichever route you choose.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Hi Bob, I may well chicken out on the Millau route, but if we don't do it on the way down we will miss it again as we're hoping to get to Portugal and come back up on the west coast. Like I said, nothing definite yet, just fancied alternative route as we have twice traveled the A20 route now.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Merci Frankie, we are on the ferry tonight from Hull to Zeebrugge.
The plan is/was to travel due south, overnight around Beaune, we just love the place, then who knows.....the beauty of having ' Tinkerbelle'

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Not a bad thing in my opinion - let's hope the tide rises high enough to wash all the plastic knights, wooden swords, and other tourist tat out of the numerous boutiques moins cher that infest its quaint winding streets. :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You may be aware of this already but don't expect to be too impressed when going over the Millau Bridge. It is an amazing structure but it's just like another stretch of motorway. To see how magnificent it is you need to leave the route and drive to the area beneath it. Only then can you tell what an amazing sight it is.

Wyn

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
You may be aware of this already but don't expect to be too impressed when going over the Millau Bridge. It is an amazing structure but it's just like another stretch of motorway. To see how magnificent it is you need to leave the route and drive to the area beneath it. Only then can you tell what an amazing sight it is.

Wyn

Very true !
We've been there with Roger and Sue (Wildman) and it was far more impressive from under than once on it!
I must add... we have struggled a lot to find our way onto the bridge from where we were coming! We tried quite a few times though.... until we found our way..eventually!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
when you get on it you can not see anything. but there is a viewing place at one end.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Wyn

Yes I was just about to post that myself. Coming south on a clear sunny day there is a point some kms before, where you get a view of the bridge but in all honesty it cannot be appreciated if on the motorway from either direction. Down in the valley is the only way .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This is probably why St Valery en Caux aire is closed this weekend. We're home now so have dodged it (y)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Merci beaucoup for votre avis Frankie, we came through from Genoa yesterday and were tossing up whether to try going via Montgenevre. I think we'd still be there with snow up to the axle if we had. Camping in the warmth near St Tropez tonight. Thanks again for being the Meteo expert for France. Mmmmm now heading for Vichy!!!!
Biz Ponyboy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Our Daughter and family have just called in on the way back from a curtailed weekend Skiing on the Pyrenees, Too much snow, 90cm fell last night, another Avalanche yesterday, Idiots blocking the roads to put snow chains on because they didn't have the intelligence to use the designated, well signed, Lay by's.
A lorry was forced to stop because of these clowns, the Driver got out to help others to shift these Idiots, His Lorry slowly slid, crushing three cars, Luckily our Son-in-law and his friend are firemen and with help managed to pull people out. My Daughter who is a volunteer firefighter says it was a very scary time.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013

Wyn
ALso save you some euros

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just managed to escape from the Alps!

Left Annecy on Saturday morning at 0900. Got to the Autoroute, all stopped!
Got off the Autoroute promptly, headed for Gex and Les Rousses to skirt round, Gendarmes then shut the Gex to Les Rousses road! Had to pop into Switzerland and out again towards Dijon to regain the toll road,

Anyway, the trip from Annecy to Calais was a solid 17 hrs! Bloody annoying as at no point were the weather conditions a problem for us at all! We have driven the Gex to Les Rousses road in nearly a foot of fresh snow in a blizzard in years past, why it was closed this time with a couple of inches on it was beyond me!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! Til next year!:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Very high tide at Calais in the early hours of Sunday morning too!

Too tired to care whether we would be washed off the aire!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Our Daughter and family have just called in on the way back from a curtailed weekend Skiing on the Pyrenees, Too much snow, 90cm fell last night, another Avalanche yesterday, Idiots blocking the roads to put snow chains on because they didn't have the intelligence to use the designated, well signed, Lay by's.
A lorry was forced to stop because of these clowns, the Driver got out to help others to shift these Idiots, His Lorry slowly slid, crushing three cars, Luckily our Son-in-law and his friend are firemen and with help managed to pull people out. My Daughter who is a volunteer firefighter says it was a very scary time.

I had a similar experience at xmas, Cluses up the hill to Les Gets blocked solid took x2 hrs to reach the top although road was cleared of snow it was the idiots at the top stopping to put on chains, side and middle of the road which forced the whole backlog of travellers getting through.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@yodeli Bonjour Frankie, loving being back in France, just stopped for some supplies north of Orleans, hows our weather looking for our site seeing route over Millau? It's quite pleasant and mild where we are at the moment :) Dave and Ginny

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi there!
Just had a look and at least I don't see any snow coming.

Here are the 2 links 1)allowing you to check your whole route

http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/pays/previsions-meteo-france-0.php

2) Weather around Millau

http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-millau-3379-0.php

Under the map you have a toolbar and you can choose the date
L = Monday ; M= Tuesday; M= Wednesday; J =Thursday; V= Friday; S= Saturday; D= Sunday

Here you are ready to hit the road!!:)(y):cool:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi there!
Just had a look and at least I don't see any snow coming.

Here are the 2 links 1)allowing you to check your whole route

http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/pays/previsions-meteo-france-0.php

2) Weather around Millau

http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-millau-3379-0.php

Under the map you have a toolbar and you can choose the date
L = Monday ; M= Tuesday; M= Wednesday; J =Thursday; V= Friday; S= Saturday; D= Sunday

Here you are ready to hit the road!!:)(y):cool:

So it's really very, very slippery then Frankie???

If they're ready to hit the road!!!

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Very funny Howie!:whistle:

I must say that I've just been asked by another funster (text on mobile) whether Tunnel de Somport was open ... and there is snow everywhere in the Pyrénées! About a metre high.
All "cols" shut and all tunnels shut too.

Pyrénées are under heavy snow!
Lorries forbidden on the roads after Foix!

They're going to go through Biarritz....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back