Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Now, let me explain. A licence to me and to French people, is a paper, allowing you to do this or that, as in driving licence, or chasing licence or fishing licence. If you don't t show it when asked you can t do whatever you wanted to, chasing fishing...etc.... But TV redevance is a tax, as in road tax English seem to have, we don't.
I don t need a paper to buy my TV set. I buy one, put it in my house and watch the programs. Now, when I receive my papers to declare income tax and it can be a year later, I must leave the box unticked if I have a TV set, or tick it if I haven t got one. This is part of my income tax, and we never use the word licence for that, otherwise you should also have a licence to work. It might be a matter of word for you, but to me it is not, it's totally different. I can buy a TV, keep it for 6 months and sell it, won t have to both declare it and pay for it. Does it make sense?

Thank you, Frankie, I've learned something today!(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If a vehicle approaching flashes their headlights they are not admiring your Motorhome but warning of a speed trap further down the road.

Do not argue with the Gendarmes or Municipal Police - they don't carry a pistol for fun.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

It might also mean, if you re in the center of a town...at night time...."Are you looking for some sexual game/fun?"
In Toulouse, next to the Point Neuf and the Prairie Des Filtres, Cars flashing are for gay men only. While the Rue Bayard is devoted to prostitution. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It might also mean, if you re in the center of a town...at night time...."Are you looking for some sexual game/fun?"
In Toulouse, next to the Point Neuf and the Prairie Des Filtres, Cars flashing are for gay men only. While the Rue Bayard is devoted to prostitution. ?

I've learned something else, as well! :giggler:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
can someone give me some directions please ? ? ? but only for the top one....

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I've learned something else, as well! :giggler:
And there are other codes involved in this as well.
Windows being half opened, fully opened, interior lights on or door opened mean different levels of participation for spectators.

In answer to everybodys next question .....

.....We caught a couple one night with half a dozen "spectators" and the couple told us what all the signals meant and how they go about arranging meetings. (honest)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Correction. Part fund the BBC - other funds come from HM Govenment, i.e. out of all my tax I pay in the UK, but BBC will not allow me to watch many things outside the UK.

Geoff
That came as a surprise to me, so I tried to find out how much came from the government. All I can find, from several sources, is that 76% comes from the licence fee, and the rest from commercial activity. Can you help me find the information which corroborates your statement, please?

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
That came as a surprise to me, so I tried to find out how much came from the government. All I can find, from several sources, is that 76% comes from the licence fee, and the rest from commercial activity. Can you help me find the information which corroborates your statement, please?

Up until recently didn't the govt. pay/subsidise the World Service to pump the UK's view of the world to them foreigner types!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I think they still do, paid for by the Foreign Office, but do not broadcast to Europe anymore.
It’s been funded from the licence fee since 2014. Which leaves me still wondering where the government funding applies?

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
If a café doesn’t sell its own food, then they won’t mind if you buy your croissants at the local boulangerie and eat them with their coffee.

If you want a large coffee with milk, ask for a “grand crème” rather than a “cafe au lait”. A waiter told me years ago that that marks you out as a foreigner.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My number one tip is 'Be very careful on roundabouts' dont assume anything! especially if an approaching vehicle is in the left hand lane with its left indicator flashing, it probably isnt going to turn left as we know it.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
If a café doesn’t sell its own food, then they won’t mind if you buy your croissants at the local boulangerie and eat them with their coffee.

If you want a large coffee with milk, ask for a “grand crème” rather than a “cafe au lait”. A waiter told me years ago that that marks you out as a foreigner.
I will try to remember this if I happen to go to a cafe in the morning, I m not really aware of this kind of difference. I would have asked for a cafe au lait, but then I am French and can explain what I want. I knew the "grand crème" but never thought that not saying that would put me in the foreign basket.?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And there are other codes involved in this as well.
Windows being half opened, fully opened, interior lights on or door opened mean different levels of participation for spectators.

In answer to everybodys next question .....

.....We caught a couple one night with half a dozen "spectators" and the couple told us what all the signals meant and how they go about arranging meetings. (honest)

I led a very sheltered life in France. Never knew any of this went on......

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I led a very sheltered life in France. Never knew any of this went on......
It probably goes on in France.
I know it (unfortunately) goes in on in the car parks within the leafy area of Surrey.

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Reactions: DBK

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

We're OK we just order cafe!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I will try to remember this if I happen to go to a cafe in the morning, I m not really aware of this kind of difference. I would have asked for a cafe au lait, but then I am French and can explain what I want. I knew the "grand crème" but never thought that not saying that would put me in the foreign basket.?

So my waiter was just being cruel to us :( Unless it’s a regional thing? This was in Vence when we lived there 2003 ish.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
So my waiter was just being cruel to us :( Unless it’s a regional thing? This was in Vence when we lived there 2003 ish.
No, honestly, I wasn t aware of this, but this is probably, no , surely true. The main difference stands in the fact that me being French no one would have corrected me, as it can be ( but I doubt it) a local thing. And as I said yesterday I can still explain what I want. Also, I usually have my breakky at home so I will hardly go to a cafe and order one and I only have black coffee later in the day. So I really don't t know what to ask for.
I think the waiter wanted to please you more than anything else, giving you some good tip. Take it as so, it was nice!
Some bakery sellers would do the same with pains au chocolat as they call it, when we, southern people are asking for chocolatines instead. Once you have gone through center of France going up North, these sort of croissant but rectangular with chocolate in the middle are called pains au chocolat. And quite regularly I m being told off if I use the word chocolatine. Grrr I was brought with that word so there, either they sell one to me or.... F....o...Sorry! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back