Tour Guide Wanted France to southern Spain please. (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi
looking at doing this for a month december and January hopefully . Going On the Chunnel due to dog and no pet friendly cabins on ferry. Which route should I take to spend more time in Spain. Which tyres should I buy if likely To hit bad weather. Any info greatly received.
karen.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi
looking at doing this for a month december and January hopefully . Going On the Chunnel due to dog and no pet friendly cabins on ferry. Which route should I take to spend more time in Spain. Which tyres should I buy if likely To hit bad weather. Any info greatly received.
karen.
I would suggest getting down to Spain ASAP (France will probably be cold and most campsites closed). I would go via the south of the Pyrenees and would probably not need different tyres to normal.

Like this route or the slower one without tolls:
Screenshot_20200818-092516_Maps.jpg

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
I would suggest getting down to Spain ASAP (France will probably be cold and most campsites closed). I would go via the south of the Pyrenees and would probably not need different tyres to normal.
Any tolls we need to avoid

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
South of France is not that warm in Jan / Feb.. You really need to be below Valencia for the better weather. Also be aware it still gets cold down there once the sun has gone down. Even in Benidorm it can be down to zero at night, so plan a good back up for gas. (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Any tolls we need to avoid
I've added a map. Tolls or no tolls... Google maps or Via Michelin will help choose according to your preferences.

Avoid central Paris though... The map route goes through Paris but you can route around the Peripherique;)

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
I've added a map. Tolls or no tolls... Google maps or Via Michelin will help choose according to your preferences.

Avoid central Paris though... The map route goes through Paris but you can route around the Peripherique;)
Is there any I need to avoid due to cost please matty

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Do I understand correctly, you are travelling for just one month? France will be cold, we know we live there. As stated the further south the better but of course that means more days getting there and more days getting back.
I would think that tolls across France would be 150 euros each way but would save a day, perhaps 2 each way. Even if you go toll free there will be times when spending 5 e will save an hour or two.
Bon courage.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is there any I need to avoid due to cost please matty
Tolls routes vs non-toll routes... It depends on lots of factors including how fast you want to travel, how good your companions are with travelling etc.

With 2 months available, we would mainly use the non-tolls and take around 4 days to get to Barcelona... But you would probably benefit from taking the tolls at some points such as going from Toulouse to Perpignan rather than going through the mountains.

Have a play with Via Michelin or similar to work out route options according to your interests and different weather conditions... You might have great weather to see places in France or want to rush through if the weather is poor.

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Do I understand correctly, you are travelling for just one month? France will be cold, we know we live there. As stated the further south the better but of course that means more days getting there and more days getting back.
I would think that tolls across France would be 150 euros each way but would save a day, perhaps 2 each way. Even if you go toll free there will be times when spending 5 e will save an hour or two.
Bon courage.
Hi love
yes. My hubby is still working self employed so we can only take 1 month off. We don’t want to be in France for long. Just for a stop off to get to Spain. We are willing to pay tolls if it shaves time off the journey. I’m maybe reading too much in to peoples comments about avoiding this toll or that toll. 300 euros is feasible.

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Tolls routes vs non-toll routes... It depends on lots of factors including how fast you want to travel, how good your companions are with travelling etc.

With 2 months available, we would mainly use the non-tolls and take around 4 days to get to Barcelona... But you would probably benefit from taking the tolls at some points such as going from Toulouse to Perpignan rather than going through the mountains.

Have a play with Via Michelin or similar to work out route options according to your interests and different weather conditions... You might have great weather to see places in France or want to rush through if the weather is poor.
Only 1 month due to work commitments so thinking just using tolls. Will have a play with the Michelin app to see what the craic is. My aim is to spend as much time as possible in Spain with only necessary stops in France.

Reactions: f6c

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Only 1 month due to work commitments so thinking just using tolls. Will have a play with the Michelin app to see what the craic is. My aim is to spend as much time as possible in Spain with only necessary stops in France.
I misread your post - if 1 month, tolls for most of the way but some sections can bypass tolls by driving on parallel roads. Via mitchelin will quote toll fees for cars. I think that you would need multiply the fee by 1.5 for many campervans etc.

I would aim to take around 4-5 days to get down to S Spain and the same back.... It is s lot of driving and I'd consider stopping when it gets warm enough rather than having a set destination to get to.

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
I misread your post - if 1 month, tolls for most of the way but some sections can bypass tolls by driving on parallel roads. Via mitchelin will quote toll fees for cars. I think that you would need multiply the fee by 1.5 for many campervans etc.

I would aim to take around 4-5 days to get down to S Spain and the same back.... It is s lot of driving and I'd consider stopping when it gets warm enough rather than having a set destination to get to.
Thank you so much for the advice.

Reactions: f6c

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thank you so much for the advice.
Ps. If you are away over the Xmas period, you would probably need to book a pitch...others can advise on options. Portugal is, apparently, a little quieter than Spain during the winter so there may be more options there.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Everyone has their favourite, ours is park4night app for finding places to stay. We use it all over France and Spain.
Campsites will not be open in France and very few in Northern Spain.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go ! I have not updated it for several months but it will give you the info you need.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Fuel & Toll Costs (2019). For a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. Toll = €149.40. Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using Partial Toll = €11.50. Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also near here, cheap fuel with easy access (https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/alcampo...rcial-txingudi-zona-araso_b_-ventas-80-33301/) and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘MiFi’ unit or tablet (Wi-Fi) this is perhaps the best deal in the UK at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage and no restrictions throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Here you go ! I have not updated it for several months but it will give you the info you need.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Fuel & Toll Costs (2019). For a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. Toll = €149.40. Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using Partial Toll = €11.50. Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also near here, cheap fuel with easy access (https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/alcampo...rcial-txingudi-zona-araso_b_-ventas-80-33301/) and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘MiFi’ unit or tablet (Wi-Fi) this is perhaps the best deal in the UK at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage and no restrictions throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0
Wow. Thank you so much. That’s so helpful. I will have a good read of that today.

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
As a coach driver on the continent we have done this trip many times.
There is another option if two of you drive.
Drive through the night, sounds horrendous I know. However if you are looking at getting there as quickly as possible it's an option.
Please don't attempt this if you are not used to driving long distances. It is hard going.
You do have the option of pulling over if you do get tired.
Avoid motorway services as places to park and sleep.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Hi love
yes. My hubby is still working self employed so we can only take 1 month off. We don’t want to be in France for long. Just for a stop off to get to Spain. We are willing to pay tolls if it shaves time off the journey. I’m maybe reading too much in to peoples comments about avoiding this toll or that toll. 300 euros is feasible.

if your willing to spend €300 on tolls I’d spend it on the ferry to Bilbao or Santander and then drive to the south coast toll
free. Probably gain a few days extra holiday time too but I don’t know if the ferries run at your time of travel

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
if your willing to spend €300 on tolls I’d spend it on the ferry to Bilbao or Santander and then drive to the south coast toll
free. Probably gain a few days extra holiday time too but I don’t know if the ferries run at your time of travel
No pet friendly cabins for the dog unfortunately

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
If you travel on the Pont Aven you are allowed to leave the dog in your vehicle and visit 2 or three times during the voyage.
Ive just done a mock booking for mid December and the price is coming in at £1200 😮. Is that normal.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you did do the Bilbao route be aware that the plain in Spain is over 6000 ft in places it gets very windy and very cold in winter with roads blocked by snow. I would stick to the D137/ A 83/ N10 A 61 to Narobone route crossing to St Malo from Portsmouth, loads of towns and villages on route with aires but most will have closed off the water supply so take extra with you, Once on the Med coast follow the coastal route to Spain but again be aware that it does snow, get very cold and wet in winter. As for tyres a set of snow chains or snow socks should cover you, You have not mentioned where you are aiming for in Spain, there are some great sites and some absolute horror stories ( Try one next door to a 24 hr brothel in Denia! ) The funsters can help with recommendations and even name dropping to get you a pitch as most sites have regulars who block book for winter and woe betide you if you are parked on* Maureen and Ron's Pitch* they come every year from January and that's their pitch, We're going home before Christmas! , Its still their pitch!

Deleted User
H
Ive just done a mock booking for mid December and the price is coming in at £1200 😮. Is that normal.
How did you get that price, I have just done 15th Dec to 13th Jan with outside cabin, 7.5m, 3m high for £828 and I could get you around £60 off that with discount code. No mention of access to dog though.

And that's the dearest flexi ticket, Portsmouth - Santander, Pont Aven

Late edit: Sorry, forget that put wrong length at 7m.......up to 8m goes up by over £100 each way!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Brittany Ferries have dog friendly cabins on one of the Portsmouth - Bilbao crossings.
They might be fully booked though but if you are flexible by a couple of days, you might get lucky ;)

Deleted User
Brittany Ferries have dog friendly cabins on one of the Portsmouth - Bilbao crossings.
They might be fully booked though but if you are flexible by a couple of days, you might get lucky ;)
No sailings December until the end of January

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back