France. suggestions for our trip please (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
After years of touring Europe by motorcycle we are off in the MH in July to France for 2/3 weeks. We plan to stay in aires and have the French Passion book and will use some camp sites.

My problem is, that planning for the bike it was small twisty roads and alpine passes, and all hotels booked in advance.
For the MH and as this is our first trip so I want it not to be too taxing, we can do the miles if required as we have the luxury of both driving, but still want some interesting quiet places.

Suggestions please
Geoff

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Parc Verger in the Limousine is quiet and some of the local towns include Ordour sur Glane and Brantome. Both interesting for different reasons.

http://www.parcverger.com

Its not far from the Richard the Lionheart route as well.
https://www.francetoday.com/learn/history/route-richard-lion-heart/

Cussac motocross track is not to far away and as a international championship course might have something interesting on.

Not great biking country but local roads are peaceful and largely free of heavy traffic. (y)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Most of rural France is quiet. So quiet at times you can actually hear a pin drop ( I tried it when I lived there)
School holiday times are obviously busier with lots of French families visiting the coast and national attractions.
You will find the Loire, Charente, Dordogne and Lot quiet enough to meander through with lots of Aires and campsites. Have either the Aires book or app and a good sites book or app and you'll be fine.
There are always lots of local events. Any village that is "en fete" ( look for bunting, large signs) will have a vide Grenier ( like a boot sale but often along the streets, and much more interesting) and other things going on. Wine tasting if you're into wine and lots of lake and riverside locations.
You'll enjoy the freedom of a motorhome in France, which is geared up to Le camping car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Another vote for Parc Verger in the Limousin, we loved the area so much we now live three kilometers away and if you download Camper contact you can discover many more aires in the region.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Head southwards until the weather suits you.

I can't think of anywhere in deepest rural France where you would struggle to find interesting things to enjoy, without places nearby to relax in peace and quiet.

Big cities aren't my thing, obviously.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG Cameret sur Mer, Brittany coast below Brest.
Big clean Aire, don't buy water there-expensive & not a lot of it!
Short walk down to lovely beach. Walks along coast path with a lot of WW2 interest. Lovely, interesting coast.
Walk into 'town' for supermarché and other shops.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A few years ago we got lost in champagne area for 3 weeks was going further south but never made it 10 to 15 minutes a day to a new aire very relaxing.

Joe

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all, we will definitely consider the Parc Verger for our first camp site stop.
Another vote for Parc Verger. If you do go there it's not far to visit the Il de Re near La Rochelle and Rocamadour is also quite close. Those were places I had visited very briefly on motorbike trips but the motorhome now allows more time to explore and enjoy. It's not just a blur as you enjoy twisty roads. I still enjoy motorbike trips but now solo as my wife prefers the motorhome.

There is probably lots of places in France you have had fleeting visits to that you can now spend more time revisiting and enjoying.

P.S. I'll be at Parc Verger for the 3rd week in July if you fancy a beer. We will then spend another 3 weeks trundling round the Dordogne.

Allan

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
First trip - mmmm - i think Alsace or Vendee as not over far (days travel) then you can play. Which one would depend on when. if youre gong now then Vendee before it gets busy. Re oleron and normoutier are all nice islands but re is a bit special and expensive ! If in season then the Alsace wine route takes some beating and doubling up wiht the Juras and possibly back through champagne sounds like a good all round trip.

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
How about the east of France. You can visit the Vosges, the Jura, see storks in Alsace, great food, lovely scenery here in Haute Saone, Haute Marne. Very quiet, good roads. Stock up on Champagne on the way down.

Upvote 0

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
How about Lac du Salagou in the Languedoc. We haven't been in our Moho yet, but have visited friends who lived in Octon. In July it'll be quiet. It's a big lake, perfect for swimming, canoeing, fishing. there are campsites near Octon, a municipal site at Clermont, and several aire's around the lake that don't all show up on campercontact or campingcarinfo, mostly free. It's an interesting landscape, great for walking and cycling (MTB and road) and every Thursday evening there is a local market in Octon, with music afterwards at Cafe Bleu in the square.

We'll definitely be going back sometime. sadly our friends no longer live in Octon so the free holiday is not an option.

Andy

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the glory of france in a motorhome is you realy dont need to plan its the nearest you can get to being a gypsy wandering from aire to aire.Weve stumbled across festivals fete's and a anual bootsale where the whole village was closed to trafic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
Thanks all making notes on all your suggestions. Have booked Parc Verger for a stop on a way back.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back