Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
T
I think the previous post was meant to say we can't because it's the driver rather than the owner who gets the fine. We could swap to it being the owner and then have it reciprocal with the other countries.
he Home Office have no plans to change our rules after Brexit.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We're obviously worse drivers.
Might it be that French speed limits were reduced across the board and some are using old SatNavs with incorrect speed limit data etc. Would be interesting to know if the majority are in the urban zone of towns and villages where the speed limit is determined by the town/village name announcements/departure signs with no signs! Everyone should of course check for the latest data before departing but it might be a reason. Also our generous allowance of 10% +2 mph over the limit before you get done is not reciprocated abroad!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Might it be that French speed limits were reduced across the board and some are using old SatNavs with incorrect speed limit data etc. Would be interesting to know if the majority are in the urban zone of towns and villages where the speed limit is determined by the town/village name announcements/departure signs with no signs! Everyone should of course check for the latest data before departing but it might be a reason. Also our generous allowance of 10% +2 mph over the limit before you get done is not reciprocated abroad!
Sorry but that is wrong to rely on the sat nav for speed limits.

You are supposed to look where you are going

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

I agree and don't do it but was just wondering if some might have?

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
'Keeper' liability for many offences is generated through S172 Road Traffic Act 1988, failure to supply information can lead to fines/points. The legislation even extends to 'any person' with the knowledge of driver details and can likewise be prosecuted for failing to supply driver details in the appropriate circumstances.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Having just driven through 6 different countries 3 of then with a serious lack of speed limit signs ...if it wasn't for my satnav i wouldn't have a clue what the limit was as it can change 4 or 5 times over 1km
In italy my satnav was telling me the limit was 50kph yet everyone was overtaking me ....no signs roadside to verify

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Having just driven through 6 different countries 3 of then with a serious lack of speed limit signs ...if it wasn't for my satnav i wouldn't have a clue what the limit was as it can change 4 or 5 times over 1km
In italy my satnav was telling me the limit was 50kph yet everyone was overtaking me ....no signs roadside to verify
So you don't know if your st nav is correct either.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Our Satnav has contradicted the road signs in every country we’ve been through since July; France, Italy, Spain, Portugal...
Got a ticket in France for doing 51 in a 50!

Ill trust the road signs and update the Satnav when I get home.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Ill trust the road signs

i got a speeding ticket in France a few months ago, for 52kmph (after they deducted their 'error margin'), but i swear the sign previous to it said 90, but have no way of checking so paid the fine !!!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I got one on the RN10 in September, I swore I'd never use that route again because of the ever changing limits. But I decided to take the route as being the best for Bordeaux, and used the RN910 to avoid the tolls on the péage. False economy! I had intended to stick to 80kph whatever. Because of the no overtaking for trucks sections, they get pretty aggressive, close tailgating and blasting their horns. So decided to up the speed a bit, paying close attention to the speed limits. You only have to miss a sign, probably hidden by trucks etc, and they got me. Like you, I didn't remember seeing a sign, but I found the section of road since the fines document gives the location of the camera, so could view it on the dashcam. I remembered the spot, still couldn't find the sign, or the camera. But the camera definitely found me. Doh!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Its a nice little earner for them ....i think thats why many sections do not have signs and the limit changes constantly....

If the french issued 12.5 million tickets last year thats a hell of a lot of money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back