France/Spain 2021 some pictures and information. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A bout of food poisoning has taken me out of the game for a day or so but now I'm feeling much better and hope to get down to the beach later today and take a dip. The Aire/ campsite remains full, an amazing little place And a great location. Each morning starts off with warm overcast weather and as the day progresses so does the heat and the blue skies. Many campers,like us now just sit in front of their motorhome and soak up the view. As I type this I crab boat pulls into the Bay right below us and starts dropping lobster/crab cages. Later gator
20210725_102846.jpg

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
And so, a very short walk from the campsite to see the beach and then a 15 minute walk to the church where the Pilgrims end their journey and burn rhein clothes in a ceremony of some sort. It's a national holiday today and s Sunday resulting in the church being rammed and directly across the road what I can only presume to be Pilgrims doing Pilgrim Shit. ( Never saw these types of Pilgrims in any John Wane film so they might just be lurkers or wannabe Pilgrims, where is John Wayne when you need him, he would know if they were the real McCoy!. Sun's out again!
20210725_121514.jpg
20210725_121152.jpg
20210725_121152.jpg
20210725_121152.jpg
20210725_121020.jpg
20210725_114817.jpg
20210725_114729.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20210725_114833.jpg
    20210725_114833.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The weather site says its 17 Degrees. Seventeen degrees my arse ! It must be around 25 now which is perfect for us and a fraction cooler than yesterday. We are sitting outside with Busmsn Dave & Maggie enjoying a nice breeze and a great view in front of us from the campsite. Just watched a customs boat head into the bay heading in the direction of 3 recently parked boats. Big panic a while ago as Maggie told Dave the 24 cans of lager he said were in the garage were not there. All is not lost though as he's now drinking mine.

20210725_160738.jpg

Deleted User
End of the world and Camino de Santiago + Galician pipes
Sirens “The Cow” can be heard 25miles away.
End of Camino de Santiago ritual burning of cloths to start a new life
View attachment 519958View attachment 519959View attachment 519960View attachment 519961View attachment 519962View attachment 519964

Brian Sewell shed his togs and went skinny dipping there after doing a series on the Camino de Santiago, not a pretty sight!
Don't know whether he burnt them though.

Deleted User
its a long way from Barcelona didn’t think his influence would carry so far.

I was a bit quick in attributing that building to Gaudi although it is called 'The endless house of Gaudi' in this article it is in fact being built by a local builder!

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hello one and all. Its very calm and bright this morning and today is going to be a scorcher!
I am seeking information and if any of you can aid me that would be great! I'm looking to obtain antigen testing in or around Calais in a couple of weeks and seeking an English speaking service and their contact details if at all possibly. I do have one contact which is Synlab but no one is answering the phone. I guess that's France.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Update to above. I now have the correct number and the Web address to make bookings direct. They are only taking bookings up to 9 August so will give it a week and then make bookings. No idea of costs yet but I suspect in the 40 euro region per test. It is a bit of a minefield trying to find these places on the Internet.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Although Im still getting the odd little stomach cramp from my recent bout off food poisoning. The bottom hatch is secure and I'm up and about and generally feeling much better and so I have some more info for you. BANK CHARGES
On our previous trips to Spain and prior to Brexit we noticed that some banks had started to add a transaction fee for withdrawing cash from a hole in the wall and whilst our card provider (Caxton)(Please,please,please, let's not turn this into a card debate!!)). told us it would not charge us for making a cash withdrawal it had no control over any charges the issuing bank wanted to make. So, although I have only made a few cash withdrawals, I can inform you Santander wanted to charge me 7 euros to withdraw cash, BBVA wanted 6 euros ING wanted 3.95. It did not matter how much was going to be withdrawn, it was a fixed charge regardless. Today I found a bank in Fisterria that only charged me 0.89 cents and that was Abanca. Its my judgement that very soon, if not now all banks will make a charge to withdraw money and the cost will increase year on year to the point that its no longer affordable to use cash. Anyway a nice walk into the town and was informed by fish monger if I want fresh sardines tomorrow I need to be at his door for 9 am as they will all be gone by 10.00 . Looks like an early rise for Mena.
20210726_141811.jpg
20210726_141759.jpg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Deleted User
Did that one last time we were in Northern Spain, well worth a visit.
I think it must be well over 20 years since we were there, I have some photo's somewhere and I have not digitised from 1996 to 2002 when I got my first digital camera.
I looked for the photo to post but not there in my files.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, although I have only made a few cash withdrawals, I can inform you Santander wanted to charge me 7 euros to withdraw cash, BBVA wanted 6 euros ING wanted 3.95. It did not matter how much was going to be withdrawn, it was a fixed charge regardless. Today I found a bank in Fisterria that only charged me 0.89 cents and that was Abanca.
Yes & using Uk cards you will always get a charge. Even with my spanish ones they sometimes charge the card issuer. Not me I've never paid. This morning I went to draw money out & 1st machine wanted 3,95€ .Now i'm not paying anyway but still won't agree to the card provider , Revolut , being striped up.
used another one & no charge whatsoever. Wife tried heres & they wanted 4€ .Difference is my revolut is spanish & registered here whereas jac's is registered in the UK.
If i want larger amounts of cash I go in a branch here . most insist you use a machine for 600€ & under.
In the UK I use Uk cards & draw cash otc .

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
When we used the ATM it asks you if you want that exchange rate, we always refuse, therefore we get the Libour rate minus a few decimal points on the exchange rate.
Well we did in 2020, so who knows now?

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello one and all. Its very calm and bright this morning and today is going to be a scorcher!
I am seeking information and if any of you can aid me that would be great! I'm looking to obtain antigen testing in or around Calais in a couple of weeks and seeking an English speaking service and their contact details if at all possibly. I do have one contact which is Synlab but no one is answering the phone. I guess that's France.
you could try there: Ardres
Pharmacie du Lac, 382, avenue du Rossignol, tél. 03 21 82 23 33.

Deleted User
When we used the ATM it asks you if you want that exchange rate, we always refuse, therefore we get the Libour rate minus a few decimal points on the exchange rate.
Well we did in 2020, so who knows now?

You should still get that rate if your card provider gives it, the problem is that most Spanish banks charge a fee for using UK cards.

The last time that I used one they wanted to charge if I did not use their exchange rate.

I think they also charge a fee if the card is not issued by that bank even though no exchange rate may be involved.

UK bank account holders don't know how lucky they are, charges for the account, debit card even more for a credit card account here in Portugal.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that! I spoke with a Farmacy in Calais this morning and the guy had good English said he would give us both an antigen test and it would be free. I pointed out it needed to be one with accompanying documentation that would meet UK Border police entry requirements and he said yes that would also be included. I have read two different accounts on websites where one is saying France will not charge summer tourists fees for testing and anouthrr which says they cost around 29 euros, so need to sort that one out before we get tested. I'm still recovering from my food poisoning bout, bugger. Now on some over the counter medicine which should help get me back to 100%.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for that! I spoke with a Farmacy in Calais this morning and the guy had good English said he would give us both an antigen test and it would be free. I pointed out it needed to be one with accompanying documentation that would meet UK Border police entry requirements and he said yes that would also be included. I have read two different accounts on websites where one is saying France will not charge summer tourists fees for testing and anouthrr which says they cost around 29 euros, so need to sort that one out before we get tested. I'm still recovering from my food poisoning bout, bugger. Now on some over the counter medicine which should help get me back to 100%.
You will get charged for the test unless you have a french passport!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back