Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
Hi all. Due to travel to France in May. We have 2 cab seat belts which will be occupied by 2 adults & 2 rear forward facing belts which will be occupied by baby seats. The plan is for there to be 2 further adults in the rear either sitting sideways or rear facing without belts, is this legal?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My undestanding s that it is legal in france as seat belts in the rear only need to be worn if fitted.
Not sure how your insurance company would see it though.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would worry about the safety of the 2 adults without belts. if you had a 3rd party bash you or you had to do an emergency stop they could be seriously injured or injure someone else. Whilst we all think we are good drivers and don't cause accidents -there are others on the road that do.If someone was injured without belts and sued you the insurance company wouldn't want to know -you would be on your own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You are between a rock and a hard place on this one. How old is your MoHo? I believe there may be a cut off point in the rules but if it was me I wouldn't do it.
How are you going to secure the child seats in?
If you feel you have to secure the children why not the adults?
If you stop immediately (accident) your passengers will suddenly weigh several tonnes and hit you and your front seat passenger from behind while you are strapped in to your seat.
Sorry, not worth taking a chance. Personally it frightens the hell out of me thinking what could go wrong.:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi all. Due to travel to France in May. We have 2 cab seat belts which will be occupied by 2 adults & 2 rear forward facing belts which will be occupied by baby seats. The plan is for there to be 2 further adults in the rear either sitting sideways or rear facing without belts, is this legal?
First call would be to your insurance company to see the number of 'passenger carrying' seats you are covered for - if you have 4 seat belts that would be 1 driver + 3 passengers - so you could find that you won't have insurance.

If there is no issue with insurance then you have to decide whether it is sensible - personally I would NOT do it for 2 reasons:
  • you cannot safely secure 2 of the passengers who could be badly injured themselves or injure others as they 'fly' around the MH in an accident.
  • securing child seats in the rear of a MH is not that easy either as they can 'tip' sideways into the aisle so it is advisable to fit a child seat to the window side only unless you can find a way to secure the aisle one to prevent tipping.
There's an article here on Fun which makes interesting reading:

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect even the rear facing seats would not be safe in a serious head-on collision. What are the seat backs supported by? If it's something like a wardrobe then forget it. :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If you still have the Swift Sundance 590RS as mentioned in your profile ......

I don't know your vehicle age or modifications but as far as I'm aware you probably have a MTPLM of 3500kg, therefore I would be very surprised, if carrying 4 adults and two children together with all the necessary luggage, you would not be seriously overloaded which is both illegal and dangerous.

I'm sorry to put a downer on what should be exciting plans but in my view safety of all on board would be my major concern and certainly would not entertain using un-belted seats for traveling.

PS. Copied from a Swift Spec sheet -
Sleeps5 = Travel seats4 - MTPLM3500kg -Payload485kg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As someone who feels uncomfortable sitting on a bus without a seat-belt I would never consider carrying anyone in a vehicle without being secured by a belt.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You are between a rock and a hard place on this one. How old is your MoHo? I believe there may be a cut off point in the rules but if it was me I wouldn't do it.
How are you going to secure the child seats in?
If you feel you have to secure the children why not the adults?
If you stop immediately (accident) your passengers will suddenly weigh several tonnes and hit you and your front seat passenger from behind while you are strapped in to your seat.
Sorry, not worth taking a chance. Personally it frightens the hell out of me thinking what could go wrong.:(
I can't disagree but MHers seem to want every safety facility possible inside the van - then they'll go sight-seeing on a scooter :eek:. I've driven everything I can get my hands on over the years and still ride motorcycles (and drive a Reliant three-wheeler). My a-class MH seems very safe after those. It's hard to justify saying that safety can be over-egged - but I believe it can.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I can't disagree but MHers seem to want every safety facility possible inside the van - then they'll go sight-seeing on a scooter :eek:.
And some people only do it a few times a year especially if they don't drive them at home, making them even more dangerous

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I understand folks concern about the dangers of "some" passengers in the rear of the van not wearing seat belts, "but" many of us on this forum were driving before 1986, when seat belt laws came into force and we all drove around without this paranoia. Much the same with speed limits, they were only introduced during, what is referred to as "the fuel crisiss" and was supposed to reduce folks fuel comsumpsion, NOT as a safety issue.
I find it interesting how we are all being brain washed.

I now sit back and wait for the back lash. Lol

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I understand folks concern about the dangers of "some" passengers in the rear of the van not wearing seat belts, "but" many of us on this forum were driving before 1986, when seat belt laws came into force and we all drove around without this paranoia. Much the same with speed limits, they were only introduced during, what is referred to as "the fuel crisiss" and was supposed to reduce folks fuel comsumpsion, NOT as a safety issue.

Yes your right we did, but many things have changed since then. More traffic/ more idiots, higher speeds, education on safety aspects of driving etc. etc. the OP explained what they were thinking of doing, I gave the answer as 'not sure' and gave my thoughts on the subject that's all. The OP is entitled to his decision but must have some doubt in his mind to ask the question in the first place. :)

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
The question being "am I legal" I live in france and if you were unfortunate to be stopped or in an accident ,,I believe you will be unable to prove that you can carry passengers without belts , regarding accident then your insurance company will have a hard time swallowing your explanation , leaving you without insurance . As to whether you think this is safe ,,thats your call. Nobody travels in my vehicles without a belt on. The weight element has been covered.
Enjoy your holls but suggest a second car .

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure about the UK, but here in France the catre gris (log book) will state how many people you can carry and how many the van will sleep. For example, the Rapido that we have can sleep 3 but can carry and has seat belts for 4.
On a previous van, circa 2004, it had beds for 4 but could carry 5, but there were only seat belts for the driver and front passenger.
If we are found to be carrying more people than the care grise states we will be liable for a fine.
I don't know if this answers your question

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
Hi all, Many thanks for all your responses. Back to the drawing board I think. So glad I consulted the forum before making any hard formed plans. Once again many thanks.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
As scattycat rightly says,the two French campers I have owned both mark on the carte Gris how many belted seats are available.
As others have said these days some laws are not logical or over protective.
However I think an overzealous young Gendarme who has just got his new uniform and finds 6 people in a four seat belted van would at least delay you for a long time whist arguing the point and try a fine as well.
Not had the above specific experience but had a long chat! at a French controle about the validity of my UK licence as a French resident.
The young man didn't like the fact I had a French Legifrance document that his sergeant proved I was right.
Just too much hassle these days.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Speed limits were around long before the fuel crisis (in the '70s). During that period the motorway limit was reduced from 70mph to 50mph then reset to 70mph once the crisis was perceived to be over.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
S
Speed limits were around long before the fuel crisis (in the '70s). During that period the motorway limit was reduced from 70mph to 50mph then reset to 70mph once the crisis was perceived to be over.
Sorry, yes there have always been speed limits, but what I probably was thinking was the maximum speed limit was introduced.
Unless I'm mistaken, more than likely, there was no speed limit on most motorways and unrestricted roads in the UK. The white circle with a black diagonal line through it signaled the end of the previously posted speed limit. It was commonly regarded, even by the police, as a GLF sign,
(go like f**k), providing it was safe to do so.
P.S. Sorry to go off topic

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Much the same with speed limits, they were only introduced during, what is referred to as "the fuel crisiss" and was supposed to reduce folks fuel comsumpsion, NOT as a safety issue.

S

Sorry, yes there have always been speed limits, but what I probably was thinking was the maximum speed limit was introduced.
Unless I'm mistaken, more than likely, there was no speed limit on most motorways and unrestricted roads in the UK. The white circle with a black diagonal line through it signaled the end of the previously posted speed limit. It was commonly regarded, even by the police, as a GLF sign,
(go like f**k), providing it was safe to do so.
P.S. Sorry to go off topic

The 70mph speed limit on motorways was introduced in 1965 after a load of serious accidents in heavy fog.

Nothing at all to do with the oil crisis which was in 1973. During that crisis it was temporarily reduced to 50mph.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As someone who feels uncomfortable sitting on a bus without a seat-belt I would never consider carrying anyone in a vehicle without being secured by a belt.

Only when you see a video like this from Funster Keith Chesterfield do you realise what can happen to unbelted bus passengers in a collision......

Paul

Reactions: DBK
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
First let's talk about French law: If your van is too old to have been equipped with seat belts , then you are allowed as many passengers as your vehicle card (ours is grey card, don't know about yours) allows . If you have 4 passengers allowed on your card and only 2 seat belts, then of course , you have to say to your passengers: please be aware you come on board under your own responsibility. But legally, you are not outlaw.

Second: I seldom give my opinion, as I hate hot and useless discussions. Each to his own . I will not try to convince you in any way ...BUT... I have soooooo many times read on here "Nanny state....blahblahblah.... fed up with rules.... blahblah blah... we can look after ourselves ...blahblahblah ..." . Look ... we' re all adults and if not stupid aware of the danger ok? I am allowed 4 people in Max, and only have 2 seats belts. If someone wants to come with me without a belt on, I first make sure, he /she is aware of the possible danger, then ..... off we go!
The only time I interfere is when a child is involved. A child doesn't realise the possible consequences. So it is MY responsibility to make sure this child will be properly strapped in.
Also, if adults are seating without seat belt on, I will drive very carefully.

Amicalement

Frankie(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
The question being "am I legal" I live in france and if you were unfortunate to be stopped or in an accident ,,I believe you will be unable to prove that you can carry passengers without belts , regarding accident then your insurance company will have a hard time swallowing your explanation , leaving you without insurance . As to whether you think this is safe ,,thats your call. Nobody travels in my vehicles without a belt on. The weight element has been covered.

Why? Is it not written on English vehicles cards?

If the vehicle is an old one, surely its first registration is written somewhere on the papers, isn't it?
So gendarmes will understand it's ruled by some old regulation.

Insurance is another matter to me. There is French law about seat belts, and YOUR insurance, which of course is not related to French regulations.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

It sis on my spanish ficha tecnica. 4 passengers travelling , although there are on 2 front seat belts.

I'm not sure about the UK, but here in France the catre gris (log book) will state how many people you can carry and how many the van will sleep. For example, the Rapido that we have can sleep 3 but can carry and has seat belts for 4.
On a previous van, circa 2004, it had beds for 4 but could carry 5, but there were only seat belts for the driver and front passenger.
If we are found to be carrying more people than the care grise states we will be liable for a fine.
I don't know if this answers your question

Yes same in Spain . How many can travel is on the ficha tecnica. The fact that 4 can travel whilst there are only 2 seat belts doesn't mean anything on the insurance as they insure exactly what is on the ficha tecnica/photo's

Why? Is it not written on English vehicles cards?

If the vehicle is an old one, surely its first registration is written somewhere on the papers, isn't it?
So gendarmes will understand it's ruled by some old regulation.

Insurance is another matter to me. There is French law about seat belts, and YOUR insurance, which of course is not related to French regulations.

No nothing is written on UK log book.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It sis on my spanish ficha tecnica. 4 passengers travelling , although there are on 2 front seat belts.

Yes same in Spain . How many can travel is on the ficha tecnica. The fact that 4 can travel whilst there are only 2 seat belts doesn't mean anything on the insurance as they insure exactly what is on the ficha tecnica/photo's

Eck!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Yes it is (y)

v5.jpg

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Let's consider the worst possible scenario - OP has an accident for which he is at fault, the unbelted passengers are injured, they sue him for substantial damages - insurers won't indemnify because there was no facility for them to be safely belted. Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well I never , that's changed then as never used to be anything on them. If it has that on the log book then even if there are no belts for 2 passengers the insurance would still be liable as the vehicle can legally carry them.

I checked this out when I bought the current van. The number is the amount of travelling seats so unless it's an older vehicle there will be that many seatbelts (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back